How Heroic Are Our Heroes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Heroic Are Our Heroes?

Heroic here meaning "superhumanly tough". Think about it; how many of our heroes could actually stand up to regular humans in a fist fight? A shootout? A full-out battle?

We know that some possess abilities that would give them a significant advantage in all three; Claire (regeneration), Sylar/Peter (arsenal of potent powers), Claude (invisible to the naked eye), D.L. (could go out of phase), etc.

So which would fare best? Least? You tell me.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Hiro's been knocked out cold by a punch to the face. Twice.

Comment

They're quite superhuman in their own ways... calling them heroic just because they have super powers is kind of incorrect; it's the one thing about the show that bugs me.

I'll quote the overquoted Ben Parker: "With great power comes great responsibility."

It isn't having powers that makes you heroic, it's what you do with them.

Comment

agreed. but by the same thing any of their powers would be useful in a fight or a battle, with the exception of maybe mikas.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I absolutely agree. If "heroic" was determined by how strong you were in a fight, then Sylar would be in the winners circle.

Being "heroic" has nothing whatsoever to do with physical strength, the strength of powers, etc. I think a different word is needed in the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            I absolutely agree. If "heroic" was determined by how strong you were in a fight, then Sylar would be in the winners circle.

Being "heroic" has nothing whatsoever to do with physical strength, the strength of powers, etc. I think a different word is needed in the question.
            Oh, I know that. I'm just using "heroic" because in the modern day, the terms "heroic" and "superheroes"/"superhumans" implies their strength more often than not.

I'm aware that the heroes can be brave and, literally, heroic in their own ways, but I was using the termin the comic book sense.
            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
              Oh, I know that. I'm just using "heroic" because in the modern day, the terms "heroic" and "superheroes"/"superhumans" implies their strength more often than not.

I'm aware that the heroes can be brave and, literally, heroic in their own ways, but I was using the termin the comic book sense.
              See, I still disagree- I've always felt that "heroic" in the comic book sense is used for characters who are heroic and happen to be superhuman (or superhuman and happen to be heroic), it excludes characters who are superhuman and......evil. So, the question is, do we include villains like Sylar and
              Spoiler:
              Daddy Parkman

in this, or just the characters who fall under the banner of actually being heroic?

Or is it such a ridiculous contention that it doesn't matter?

Anyway, my pick for most heroic is obviously Peter. Easily the strongest of the Heroes, and he's got the heroic intent to go with it.

Comment

See, I still disagree- I've always felt that "heroic" in the comic book sense is used for characters who are heroic and happen to be superhuman (or superhuman and happen to be heroic), it excludes characters who are superhuman and......evil. So, the question is, do we include villains like Sylar and
                Spoiler:
                Daddy Parkman

in this, or just the characters who fall under the banner of actually being heroic?

Or is it such a ridiculous contention that it doesn't matter?
                Don't think it matters. I was really referring to any of the "heroes" as defined by the show; those that are evolved humans.

Anyway, my pick for most heroic is obviously Peter. Easily the strongest of the Heroes, and he's got the heroic intent to go with it.
                Hmmm, he's definately way up there.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  Heroic here meaning "superhumanly tough". Think about it; how many of our heroes could actually stand up to regular humans in a fist fight? A shootout? A full-out battle?

We know that some possess abilities that would give them a significant advantage in all three; Claire (regeneration), Sylar/Peter (arsenal of potent powers), Claude (invisible to the naked eye), D.L. (could go out of phase), etc.

So which would fare best? Least? You tell me.
                  In a fist fight, Niki/Jessica would be on the top of my list. In an all-out fight, that'd prolly be Peter since
                  2E05
                  Spoiler:
                  Sylar and peter are kinda wacky, but at least Peter can lightning people

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                    In a fist fight, Niki/Jessica would be on the top of my list. In an all-out fight, that'd prolly be Peter since
                    2E05
                    Spoiler:
                    Sylar and peter are kinda wacky, but at least Peter can lightning people
                    Agreed. Here's my view on it (Peter/Sylar won't count in the first two, since it's obvious they'd trump the rest).

Spoiler:
                    Fist Fight:
                    1. Niki/Jessica: Super strength allows them to take out virtually all opponants.
                    2. Monica: She now has the moves of a karate master, a pro wrestler, and a double-dutch jumper.
                    3. Claude: Can turn invisible and attack his foes.
                    4. Claire: She could just stand there and take a beating until she can get her own hits in.
                    5. Hiro: If he can finally get his powers to work at a faster rate, he could easily take down an opponant. But until then... no.

Shootout:
                    1. Hiro: Assuming he sees the attack coming, he could freeze time and avoid the bullets.
                    2. D.L.: Could let the bullets phase right through him and attack.
                    3. Claire: Could take a hit, let herself heal, then try again.
                    4. Claude: Could turn invisible and avoid being hit. But if a stray bullet hits him, he's a goner.
                    5. Mr. Parkman/Candice: Could create an illusion to confuse and turn their opponants against each other. But this would require knowledge of the attack; in an ambush, it would be useless.

Full-out Battle:
                    1. Peter: Peter, at present, has an arsenal of powers best suited to dealing with a multi-faceted attack. He can fly, turn invisible, emit deadly radiation, shoot lightning, use telekinetic attacks, and regenerate.
                    2. Sylar: Also has a wide variety of abilities, and demonstrates better control over them than Peter. However, his powers are less potent in such a situation.
                    3. Parkman: Extremely useful as a tactician/coordinator. Could hear the plans of his enemies and instruct his allies how to counter them.
                    4. Maya/Alejandro: Can wipe out entire enemy forces, but would also kill their allies.
                    5. Hiro: Could potentially freeze time and kill all his enemies while they're frozen, but he usually needs time to do this and he may not have it.

Comment

Micah could freeze their bank accounts and turn off their cable and internet, at which point they'll be very bored and possibly commit suicide.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

fairly heroric but then there's mr muggles...he was brave enough to go up against sylar!!!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          Micah could freeze their bank accounts and turn off their cable and internet, at which point they'll be very bored and possibly commit suicide.
                          Yupp, and Hana could help him out.

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                            fairly heroric but then there's mr muggles...he was brave enough to go up against sylar!!!!!
                            IAWTC.

Comment

One of the things i love about this show is precisely that : the struggle over defining "a Hero". Virtually all the characters at some point declare their intent to be a hero or save the world, but all of them have different ideas of what it means to be a Hero (locally or globally) or to "save the world", all have conflicting views on what the proper use of their abilities are.

Come to think of it, a number of characters have potentially extremely powerful abilities : Hiro, Candice,
                              Spoiler:
                              Parkman Senior and eventually Matt will have his power
                              , telekinesis, Bob (if his power turns out to be "alter the molecular structure of anything", like the aliens on the TV show Roswell a few years ago), the Haitian, Niki (does she have increased speed to go with her strength ?) the list goes on.

Comment

Working...
                              X