This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
    I was not able to read the general discussion thread at the time Travelers aired until there were pages and pages of scathing comments about Travelers and how foolish Sheppard was. My mouth was hanging open. It was enough to make me wonder if I had watched the same episode or had not paid close enough attention to it. The posts turned out to be mainly from the same very persistent people and made it difficult for people with differing opinions to say much without being ridiculed. It is a shame that such a negative campaign can color the feelings and beliefs of those that read it. It did make me think through why I found the episode so enjoyable, but rewatching it confirmed my original opinion.

What makes Travelers so repeatable? Mostly it is fun. It’s supposed to be fun. The whole feeling of the episode is meant to be light. It is a running joke. In a dark season it is the comedy relief. It lays part of the ground work for the rest of the season, giving us a smarter Sheppard, the Travelers and their tech, a new ally, a new character, an Ancient warship and, maybe, another Wraith who will remember Sheppard.
    Nice post. I agree with everything except that I think I like Miller's Crossing a little bit more. I see the same things on the board and I have only been reading this board for a couple of months. So much negativity.

Comment

Originally posted by scholar View Post
      Nice post. I agree with everything except that I think I like Miller's Crossing a little bit more. I see the same things on the board and I have only been reading this board for a couple of months. So much negativity.
      Thanks.

Miller's Crossing wasn't in the mix yet when I wrote that. I'm still thinking about where it falls in my ranking of this seasons episodes. It is certainly the most thought provoking. The ending scenes, I'm sure, will be among my all time favorite ones.

So much negativity. I welcome it when it stays as expressions of dislike for all or part of an episode. I cringe when it turns into attacks or campaigns.

I don’t have much history here, either, but I am learning to ignore the negativity. There are lots of nice people here because they love Atlantis just as I do and I expect you do.

Welcome.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
        Sheppard is a pussy! And a whiny biatch! Does Joe Flanigan realize the writers are just making the character of John Sheppard a Jack O'Neill clone, only younger and more girly?

The whole Kirking scenario is getting old fast. Enough! This episode is way too soapie for my liking. The last episode was so much better, but this, this is just like a virgin cocktail at your 21st birthday!
        Wow you really hate this ep huh? Shep is far from that and while I this isn't the best ep of the season it is still a great ep introducing a new character.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Thanks.

So much negativity. I welcome it when it stays as expressions of dislike for all or part of an episode. I cringe when it turns into attacks or campaigns.

I don’t have much history here, either, but I am learning to ignore the negativity. There are lots of nice people here because they love Atlantis just as I do and I expect you do.

Welcome.
          I haven't been on here long either, but I figured out really quickly that for all the negativity that is out there, when I get totally fed up with it, there are some great threads that are all positive! I love that!! And speaking of negativity, I have just been floored by how much of it I have found for Travelers in all the different threads. It was just on Sci-Fi again last night, and I absolutely don't get how this one gets on people's "Worst of" lists here. I adore this episode. I thought JF was fantastic in portraying Sheppard's aloofness to the whole kidnapping, I thought Larrin was a good match intellectually with Sheppard, and the kids and I laughed for literally days over the whole "...initialise inertial dampeners" gag!

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
            I haven't been on here long either, but I figured out really quickly that for all the negativity that is out there, when I get totally fed up with it, there are some great threads that are all positive! I love that!! And speaking of negativity, I have just been floored by how much of it I have found for Travelers in all the different threads. It was just on Sci-Fi again last night, and I absolutely don't get how this one gets on people's "Worst of" lists here. I adore this episode. I thought JF was fantastic in portraying Sheppard's aloofness to the whole kidnapping, I thought Larrin was a good match intellectually with Sheppard, and the kids and I laughed for literally days over the whole "...initialise inertial dampeners" gag!
            I totally agree. I adore this episode, too. My favorite this season so far for repeatable.

I am against main character ships, but I would love to see a lot more of Sheppard and Larrin.
            They do seem to be evenly matched.
            Not a popular view around here.
            sigpic

Comment

I totally agree. I adore this episode, too. My favorite this season so far for repeatable.

I am against main character ships, but I would love to see a lot more of Sheppard and Larrin.
              I think someday we may look back on this pair with fondness. Kind of like when something bad happens to you but, after enough time, you look back and can laugh about it. To me, this ship has the potential to age well. Very much dependent on future writing and character development.
              sigpic

Comment

Sad, isn't it? I thought they were fun together - she's the only woman around who's capable of making Sheppard stumble over his own feet, which is a rather amusing sight, IMO. I love watching him trying to keep up with her in the 'innuendo contest' - which she actually started....

Comment

This was a great episode. I know i maybe 'hated' for saying this - but - Now with Wier pretty well "gone" from the show, this is a good way to bring in a different relationship for Sheppard.

No, Larrin is not like Wier, nor should she be. She was a bit over the top in the outfits and attitude but I guess if you are "jet setting" around the galaxy then you may act the same...

It really is unfortunate that we have not seen more from the travelers.

isn't it nice when we can all just get along.
                  Weir did it better.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else but I really hated how this episode made Sheppard look like a total idiot. Granted, he was somewhat smitten with Larrin and may have even had reservations about hitting a woman. But purely as a military soldier, I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be able to defend against all those punches he took. Even when he had his hands tied behind his back, he still could've used his legs or something.

I also knew before he kissed her that she was going to pull his weapon on him. I kept thinking, "That's one of the oldest tricks in the book!"

Still, it was cool seeing a fully-operational Aurora-Class ship again. That little trick Sheppard did with the inertial dampeners was cool and good-thinking on Sheppard's part too.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hmm, I'm trying to like the whole episode but the only thing that interested me was the tie up to Ronon's weapon and the scene where Sheppard fooled the other two Traveler engineers by taking Larrin's instructions literally. lolz. Too bad, it didn't left Larrin unconscious for a period of time. It also might have been interesting if the two had continued outsmarting each other instead of us, catching glaring hints that Sheppard was likely to kiss the girl. Then, when the Wraith came in to complicate things, we might have seen how these two leaders try to neutralize the Wraiths in their own ways. This might lead more sections of the ship damaged or not, depending on their plans, we'll never know but I think it might fuel more drama.

Another scene that I liked was when Sheppard was in the chair room trouble shooting the problematic chair. We usually see McKay down on his knees with wires trailing around him on the floor. Here, it was Sheppard doing the fixing. It presented he has some considerable grasp on Ancient technology to figure out the problem. I'm betting he'll be slipping a thank you (behind the scenes) to McKay for that. Lastly, when he reached the auxiliary control room to assess his situation and sent the Morse code, that was not bad.

I guess it would be wishful thinking now (a remote possibility ) in meeting another technologically advanced race who had been once a sister city of Atlantis (not Asurans) that are still embroiled in the Wraith wars yet surviving even if this race had been driven to the corner.
                      Last edited by Orion25; 24 September 2008, 04:58 AM.

Comment

if laran's(idk how to spell it) weapon runs out why doesn't ronans, that's the only thing i don't get, the rest of the episode ruled!

Comment

Originally posted by Butlersgate View Post
                          if laran's(idk how to spell it) weapon runs out why doesn't ronans, !
                          Ronon's gun is powered by magic.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                            oh i forgot about that

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                              I thought it ran on Ronon's anger.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I thought it ran on Ronon's anger.
                                nah it runs on silence, which is why he hardly speaks

Comment

Working...
                                X