Carters reference to O'neill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carters reference to O'neill

I did a search and couldn't see this posted anywhere.
    At one point in the episode carter was talking about something they encountered while back at the SGC and she referred to O'neill as 'Colonel O'neill', when he is actually a general now.

Just thought that was a little odd - was it a mistake?

Originally posted by Athor View Post
    I did a search and couldn't see this posted anywhere.
    At one point in the episode carter was talking about something they encountered while back at the SGC and she referred to O'neill as 'Colonel O'neill', when he is actually a general now.

Just thought that was a little odd - was it a mistake?
    maybe she meant that when the situation with o'neill occurred, he was colonel o'neill then???

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      maybe she meant that when the situation with o'neill occurred, he was colonel o'neill then???

sally
      He was. It was from the ep Cold Lazarus. But, it still sounded strange. Didn't AT refer to "Colonel O'Neill"
      Spoiler:
      In that interview for Continuum?

Makes one wonder, does it not?

Comment

sally
        that's how i read it too....and technically, COLONEL o'neill was taken over by the entity. General O'Neill's biggest threat right now is paper cuts and his blood pressure

Maybe she's also not trying to drop too many names with all the generals she knows. between her dad, kerrigan, jack, hammond etc, she's got a lot of General friends
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

sally
          I'm pretty sure that's exactly what she meant. Because that was the case. He was a Colonel when that happened.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
            I'm pretty sure that's exactly what she meant. Because that was the case. He was a Colonel when that happened.
            That was my take too.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Well, I'll be the lone dissenter here. It was a strange thing to say. I know lots of people with titles, and it would never occur to me to not use their current title. I might use a qualifier, such as "Dr. Smith ran into this type of case when he was a student," but I'd never say "Mr. Smith ran into this kind of case."

Maybe the military is different, and they do use rank to indicate timing, but it still sounded strange to me. She should have said "General O'Neill" and used a qualifier of some kind.

Oh well, minor point. Let's not dwell.

Comment

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
                Well, I'll be the lone dissenter here. It was a strange thing to say. I know lots of people with titles, and it would never occur to me to not use their current title. I might use a qualifier, such as "Dr. Smith ran into this type of case when he was a student," but I'd never say "Mr. Smith ran into this kind of case."

Maybe the military is different, and they do use rank to indicate timing, but it still sounded strange to me. She should have said "General O'Neill" and used a qualifier of some kind.

I would think you are correct, but it would have added a further line and isnt really that important. I guess TPTB think that people that know O'Neill think of him as a Col....and that people who only watch Atalantis would wonder why a general would be in that situation........On the other hand, people that only watch Atlantis only know O'Neill as a general so my explanation makes no sense.....which maybe is exactly why I think TPTB are thinking that way .

In the last two years when McKay would bring up SG-1 and Carter would he say Maj Carter did such and such or Lt Col Carter? I dont remember.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Yeah, that have had times when they've said things like "the anti replicator weapon created by General O'Neill" or "General O'Neill had the ancients knowledge downloaded into his brain twice" all of which happened while he was a Colonel. This was definatly a goof. It would be like if they said "Captain Carter once had a Tok'Ra symbiote" They wouldn't.

Perfecto!

Comment

Just a slip on the writers' part probably. I still associate Jack with Colonel O'Neill unless I'm thinking harder about it.

Comment

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post

I agree with you, it's seems logical this way. But it doesn't that a big accidnet I think, and everyone know who seh refers to.
                      Originally posted by 1138 View Post
                      Just a slip on the writers' part probably. I still associate Jack with Colonel O'Neill unless I'm thinking harder about it.
                      Yeah, Jack always stay as a colonel for me too, and also, he was so much better(I mean his character) when he was only a colonel.
                      'One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
                      One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them'

SGA fanfiction I'm translating to english. It's a novel!

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        General O'Neill's biggest threat right now is paper cuts and his blood pressure
                        You're right but that's sooo cruel!

I personally feels that "General O'Neill" sounds pretty cool and sexy.

Comment

It was definitely a mistake. Sure, O'Neill was a colonel when it happened, but in these situations surely even the military refers to people by their current rank?
                          sigpic

Comment

It may have been a deliberate reference to when O'Neill was a Colonel, but I also think it could have been an innocent slip-up. I mean, Jack's been "the Colonel" for far longer than he's been a General.

I could accept either version.

Comment

Working...
                            X