Clear All

The Gateway of the Gods (401 & 402)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Four
    "The Gateway of the Gods"

"The Gateway of the Gods"
    Ep: 4.01 & 4.02
    Release Date: October 18, 2007
    Written by Alex Rubit

When an old friend returns with disturbing news, a race against the clock begins -- and Horizon receives a new team member as Doctor Daniel Jackson joins as a series regular.
    Outstanding
    40.74%
    Good
    29.63%
    Fair
    0.00%
    Poor
    25.93%
    Terrible
    3.70%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Well, the long wait is finally over, and the season premiere has arrived!

You can download it directly by clicking on this link right here!

If it takes a little longer than normally to come up, it's because the file is a little larger than a usual PDF file.

We all hope you enjoy it, and be sure to stop back here to share your thoughts!

And with... how do they like to say... "The two hour Stargate: Horizon season premiere starts now!"

Comment

OH MY....finally. I've be reloading this page every five seconds..........

Thanks you so much....

Comment

Originally posted by rene.davila View Post
        OH MY....finally. I've be reloading this page every five seconds..........

Thanks you so much....
        Sorry again about the delay, but hopefully it was worth the wait.

Comment

alright i have just a few words to say : BEST SEASON PREMIERE ever. i liked the fight scenes. its going to be interesting to see daniel on horizon. but hell you have had nearly every original sg-1 team member on Horizon: CARTER, TEAL'C, and Now Jackson., What about O'Neill. i think i asked this before will we see O'Neill not exactly on Horizon but on Horizon like some like a guest appearence or something. keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
            alright i have just a few words to say : BEST SEASON PREMIERE ever. i liked the fight scenes.
            Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

will we see O'Neill not exactly on Horizon but on Horizon like some like a guest appearence or something. keep up the good work.
            It's possible. Very possible, actually.

Comment

I LOVE the "surprise"... it's perfect fot the show! Congrats to the author and the team. I continue the reading... Act 1
              sigpic
              ~The place to take a break at Horizon~
              - That's a lie!!!
              - Indeed it is...

Comment

Yeah, I think it's a nice little "surprise." Glad you like it.

So for everyone who doesn't know yet, there's a surprise attached to the PDF file. Ideally you'd want to check it out after the Teaser.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't seem to listen to the main theme. Of course I am not using the standard adobe player, I will try it at work where that is installed. Before you ask why I use Mac's. the built in readers are great for most tasks.

for the story it's very good. I like the upgraded bellorphon. And a new stargate. though it would be wise to destroy it now. a couple of gate busters ought to do it or at very least a star.

of course that's for the next episode right?

Comment

Oh boy. Here we go again.

Alex, please. Grow as a writer. Stop interrupting your dialogue every other sentence to tell us what we're supposed to thing and feel. Don't tell us "the tension is obvious" or that "there's already a first connection between these two." No more of this, "he realizes there's more to this than mere curiousity." Let your dialogue speak for itself. Let your characters speak for themselves. Daniel Jackson does not need you to narrate his thoughts and opinions in the background while he talks. None of your characters need this. It bogs down the pace of the episode and, in my opinion, detracts from the effectiveness of what your characters are saying.

Aside from that.

Daniel Jackson seems out of it. His words don't quite seem to fit. It's not... it's not 'just right.' Maybe that'll be smoothed out in later episodes.

Christine now seems to me like Colonel Carter with a degree in archeology. Really, try it - her words sync up perfectly with Carter's speech patterns.

I don't respect Nosah'trah as a villain. It might be because we killed him so many times in the first five seasons of SG-1. I don't know. He just doesn't seem menacing, cool, or remotely intelligent. Too absurdly arrogant for his own good. A step down from the Kih'Andari, I think.

Oy! I'm being beaten over the head with exposition already. How many characters and how many pages does it take to say things like "Nosah'trah wants to use an interdimensional gate to let his Sentinel buddies back into reality", or, "we know where he is, here's the address"?

"The government is being stupid and wants to cut funding to the (I.)S.G.C. even though clearly we need it in order to save the galaxy - don't politics suck?" Never seen that one before.

"Let's go find the piece of technology the Ancients left behind and use/destroy it to save the galaxy." Original.

All right, let's look at the exchange between Nosah'trah and our team between pages 98 and 99 (up to 'perish in battle'). I've copied it into this post so we could examine it.
                    O’NEILL: Yeah? How have things been going lately? Because last time I checked you were dead.

Apophis glares at O’Neill. He steps closer.

APOPHIS: It should have been obvious -- even to you -- that god cannot be killed.

O’NEILL: You’re not a god. (pointedly, to the Jaffa) And everyone who’s stupid enough to believe anything else is gonna pay for it eventually.

The First Prime quickly trains his weapon on O’Neill.

FIRST PRIME: It is you who will pay for speaking such words of blasphemy!

Apophis just laughs for a moment.

APOPHIS: As you can see, I have loyal followers. And our numbers are growing even as we speak.

Apophis regards Teal’c for a beat.

APOPHIS: The infamous Shol’va--Teal’c.
                    Whoops - I think I copied it wrong.

Nosah'trah really just wanted to get strength for himself, with no regard for the other Sentinels. Oh wow. He's a genius. Really, really he is. And his 'villainous strategy' is totally original - I've never seen the "I'm evil and want to take over the universe" one before.

Alas.

Overall: *1/2

I'm sorry - really, I am. I don't mean to be this harsh. But there just so many cliches here. So many easily avoidable cliches. A script that felt like it was so much longer than it needed to be, too.

I suspect someone will say, "if you don't like it, don't read it," or, "if you don't like it so much, why are you complaining? No one's making you." Well, I'm pretty much done reading it for now. I may look up an episode further down the line, but not for a while. And as for why I'm complaining - I used to like this series, a lot. Way back when, in season 2. There was something about it then. It had something that it lost in season 3, and I was hoping so much that it would be recovered now in season 4. But it's still not there. I hope - I hope dearly - that maybe I'll be listened to. Maybe the flaws that I find in the series will be corrected. Maybe it'll have whatever it was that made me love it so much, two years ago.

I think I can understand the 'anti-season 9/10' fans a lot better now.

Comment

Oh, I've been looking forward to this one!

So here goes...

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
                      Oh boy. Here we go again.

Stop interrupting your dialogue every other sentence to tell us what we're supposed to thing and feel.
                      Sorry, but that's how scripts are written.

Daniel Jackson seems out of it. His words don't quite seem to fit. It's not... it's not 'just right.' Maybe that'll be smoothed out in later episodes.
                      Well, that's your opinion, and everyone has a right to an opinion. But there's about ten different people on staff that have been consulted regarding this. I directly asked them all the same question, and they all felt Daniel was exactly the way he's supposed to be. We still talk about this a lot these days. Took some doing and a lot of rewrites to work out his dialogue (it was considerably different in the first draft back in July), but I think it's exactly right now. That's definitely Daniel.

Christine now seems to me like Colonel Carter with a degree in archeology. Really, try it - her words sync up perfectly with Carter's speech patterns.
                      Uh... okay.

Sorry, I don't understand that one.

I don't respect Nosah'trah as a villain. It might be because we killed him so many times in the first five seasons of SG-1. I don't know. He just doesn't seem menacing, cool, or remotely intelligent. Too absurdly arrogant for his own good. A step down from the Kih'Andari, I think.
                      Nosah'trah was on SG-1?

"The government is being stupid and wants to cut funding to the (I.)S.G.C. even though clearly we need it in order to save the galaxy - don't politics suck?" Never seen that one before.
                      We like to be as close to reality as we can. The mid-season two parter will deal heavily with just this (the Stargate being public will have some heavy, heavy consequences), and actually that line you were talking about is meant to set up some things in the mid season two parter.

"Let's go find the piece of technology the Ancients left behind and use/destroy it to save the galaxy." Original.
                      Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed that.

All right, let's look at the exchange between Nosah'trah and our team between pages 98 and 99 (up to 'perish in battle'). I've copied it into this post so we could examine it.
                      Sorry. I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Whoops - I think I copied it wrong.
                      Oh... okay. Still not getting it. Sorry.

Nosah'trah really just wanted to get strength for himself, with no regard for the other Sentinels. Oh wow. He's a genius. Really, really he is. And his 'villainous strategy' is totally original - I've never seen the "I'm evil and want to take over the universe" one before.
                      The "I am evil and want to take over the universe" thing is typical for Stargate, and always has been. At least with regards to the first eight seasons of SG-1. And Nosah'trah is kind of a more typical bad guy. I think there's only so and so much you can do with that, honestly. I've always found more complex characters (like Sivok or Dureg) a lot more interesting.

But every now and then it's fun to have the good-old-bad-guy-thing going on. If not, why are you watching Stargate in the first place? But it's not something I want to get in too much, because those characters tend to be limited when it comes to doing character-driven stories with them.

I think we do a pretty good job actually balancing that with still having these characters that aren't black and white; i.e. Sivok, possibly Dorven if we see him again.

I may look up an episode further down the line, but not for a while.
                      Well, we'll be around for a while.
                      Last edited by Alex Rubit; 19 October 2007, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                        Unfortunately I can't seem to listen to the main theme. Of course I am not using the standard adobe player, I will try it at work where that is installed. Before you ask why I use Mac's. the built in readers are great for most tasks.
                        You should just be able to play it in Windows Media Player or Quick Time, if you have one of those two.

for the story it's very good. I like the upgraded bellorphon.
                        Yup. We thought about it for a while, but we definitely wanted to introduce the events of "Unending' into the series somehow.

And a new stargate. though it would be wise to destroy it now. a couple of gate busters ought to do it or at very least a star.

of course that's for the next episode right?
                        We'll definitely be addressing just this a little later down the road.

Comment

I have to say, Daniel felt a little strange. But I guess that's what happens when you write for a huge character from a actual TV show.

There was some cliche stuff that ryu gaia mentioned, but liked it. It wouldn't be Stargate with out that god complex inside of a villain. Some things most be redone again and again or else you might ass well write star trek before Horizon instead of Stargate. So once again I love seeing that Apophis type thing in Nostra Dama.. uh..err, I mean Nosahatra. It's like a Ori mixed with Gould and red food dye with a hint of blue jello.

Overall. Great episode. I liked it and theme.

Now I am off to write STARGATE UNIVERSES...Its about your inter dimensional gate...
                          [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                          HARRIMAN
                          I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                          [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                          HARRIMAN
                          So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

I have to say I loved this episode. I think it's the 2nd best season premiere since the season one premiere. I think that say's a lot because the season one premiere is what got me hooked in the first place.

Loved that Sivok was in the episode and Daniel was cool too I was not sure if I would like that when I first read about it. I really liked that Daniel seemed out of it at first and came around at the end. People lets not forget that he is kind of doing what Carter is doing on Atlantis. With Chase gone Daniel is the new guy he should not fit in right away that would be lame. I really liked his talk with Christine at the end of the episode.

Speaking of Chase I really miss him already he was my favorite. This may sound wierd but I never liked that he was Ben Browder I aways pictured him as trip from startrek enterprise.

Keep up the GREAT work can't wait for the rest of the season. and more Sivok episode to come love it.

Comment

well it took installing adobe reader to find the attachment. OS X's built in stuff doesn't show the attachment, but it does show links.

So the theme is good. and as i said the story is enough to keep on trucking. though I still want to see some one actually blow up a stargate. Abydios is close but you only see the pyramid go boom.

Comment

Working...
                              X