This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis needs a major hand-to-hand combats

I was just thinking how SG-1 was spectacular due in part to its humans' basic emotion, to fight.

Remember the time when O'Neill went to get his head sucked by one of those Ancient devices and how Anubis was sending ships and they were blasting the grounds on which SG-1 and teams were on and in turn, our guys were firing their weapons, blasting all they got in attempt to damage ships while Daniel and some other was trying to get hold of O'Neill as they tried to retreat back to the gate.

Or the time when Frasier got killed, one blast onto the chest and in the background soliders were firing P90s and all.

Sure on Atlantis, we got the Daedalus, the Apollo and Puddlejumpers but just how many times do we see Sheppard and co, firing everything they got, in terms of hand-to-hand combat, defending something they believe in, offworld (i.e. not Atlantis)? SG-1 is unique in that we see our guys fight, truly defend our right to be in this galaxy whether it be from the Gou'ld or the Ori, but in Atlantis, I don't really get that sense of pride.

All I see is humans trying to take down the Wraith or other enemies but not with the same passion as that featured on SG-1... I'm sorry, I don't make much sense sometimes, so I do apologise if some of you don't unerstand what I'm on about, lol

I guess it boils down to this, where has that passion to exist gone to?

There are less hand-to-hand combat and gun fight scenes due to the introduction of the transporter on Earth ships. When you're in a tough situation, you get beamed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      There are less hand-to-hand combat and gun fight scenes due to the introduction of the transporter on Earth ships. When you're in a tough situation, you get beamed out.
      Hand to hand combat....lets think, Rising, Suspicion, Runner, The Siege, The Lost Boys, Reunion, Sateda...

We've had our fair share of hand to hand combat with Atlantis.
      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Yeah but it's not one of those "this is so worth dying for, I will fight to the death! For humanity!!"-sorta battle, LOL

Comment

Reunion. That Asuran wtfpwned those two Wraith, does that count?
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I think what it needs is a firefight out in the open, something rare on Atlantis. Sg-1 over the years had plenty of them but Atlantis' firefights are usually indoors or on ships, something like 'Heroes' would be great, a big outdoors firefight.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
              I think what it needs is a firefight out in the open, something rare on Atlantis. Sg-1 over the years had plenty of them but Atlantis' firefights are usually indoors or on ships, something like 'Heroes' would be great, a big outdoors firefight.
              Oh man! Well said, well said!

For me, "firefights" as you put 'em on Atlantis got a bit boring to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by JackHarkness_Hot View Post

I agree. The firefights here seem to be short and, usually, anti-climactic. And I say that as a big fan of Atlantis.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

also there is an added risk of fighting a wraith hand to hand (a jaffa cant suck your sife out through your chesticles) and asurans have a handy bullet immunity, there doesnt seem to be a hell of a lot of offworld scrapes in atlantis there where some bits in the siege that where balls to the wall gun toting action i seem to remember and im sure something like that has happened with the genii at some point as well?
                  To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

It's becuase there's never a sense of danger, they'll always have a ship to beam them out or a jumper close by when they need it. Take 'Off the grid' for example that had a good firefight, there were presently no ships that we knew of to bail them out, SG-1 never had jumpers, they had the enemy coming from both sides and the stargate was blocked, the only problem with it was it was too short. Atlantis has yet to pull anything like this off imo. The most recent firefight from SG-1 that was done successfully imo was 'Line in the Sand' that was pure excellence, though I think the SG-1 movies might top that.

Comment

I think it'll be cool that a SG member fires a grenade with some sort of grenade launcher at a Wraith and the Wraith explodes, I think that'll look cool.

Comment

I think it'll be cool that a SG member fires a grenade with some sort of grenade launcher at a Wraith and the Wraith explodes, I think that'll look cool.
                        in slow motion!!!!
                        To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

"Reunion" had at least two hand-to-hand fights, although they are very much Atlantis-style fights- neatly choreographed martial arts ballet. SG-1 had only two such fights in ten years that I can remember- one with Teal'c fighting a Goa'uld disguised as a Jaffa rebel leader (Immhotep?) and the other with Mitchell playing The Last Samurai with the Sodan.

As far as outdoors firefights of epic proportions, SG-1 certainly wins hands down- but keep in mind that Atlantis expedition is a bunch of scientists backed up by just enough soldiers to provide security. They wouldn't have had the manpower for a major battle without some serious reinforcements from Earth.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

in slow motion!!!!
                            Evidently, I watch too much TV, LOL

Comment

I liked it when Atlantis captured Bob, that was great. We need for of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X