Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Imperial System - It's truly universal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    I didn't see it as a big deal that they used 7 feet in that episode, most people knew the meaning was Ronan was very tall
    Because they're aliens... from another galaxy. They'd use quatlootz or whatever, not feet.

Originally posted by Oka View Post
    It's an American show, the people in it use the American system of measurement. Whopeedoo. If he would've said 2.2 meters (or whatever 7 feet is), you wouldn't have complained.
    It's supposedly a sci-fi show taking place in a galaxy far, far away.

You stand corrected, sir. Two years ago, I inquired on why Jack, a member of the USAF and while flying an USAF-plane, was using the metric system. And I would've noted it if they used the metric system as well. It's not realistic.

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
    btw why not revert back to the Roman numeral system ? basic operations such as adding & multiplying are far more complex with this system, surely it would be a much more logical choice for yall than the decimal system wouldn't it ?
    The Roman numeral system is in no way any different from the Metric System (numerically, I can't speak for weights and measurements). Everything was divisible by 10 (or 5) there.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
      The Roman numeral system is in no way any different from the Metric System (numerically, I can't speak for weights and measurements). Everything was divisible by 10 (or 5) there.
      uh yeah but divisibility even by the same number is irrelevant
      the roman numeral system was not logarithmic (it had no base) thus was completely different from the decimal system - in a primitive kinda way as even basic operations were a frakkin' pain in the ass

now take the decimal system :
      10 is 10 times bigger than 1
      100 is 10 times bigger than 10
      1000 is 10 times bigger than 100
      etc. each "level", 10 times the previous - get it ?

there are several base-systems, for example binary (base 2, with digits 0 & 1 : 10 (two) is twice as big as 1, 100 (four) is twice as big as 10, ...), octal (base 8, with digits 0 to 7 : 10 (eight) is 8 times as big as 1, 100 (sixty-four) is 8 times as big as 10, ...), decimal (base 10, digits 0 to 9) and hexadecimal (base 16, with digits 0...9, A, B, C, D, E, F (so that makes 16 of 'em, with A = ten and F = fifteen))
      of course you can write in any other non-conventional base but the others seldom have their uses except for the mathemasochist

now the roman numeral system has no base (for example V is 5 times bigger than I, but X is only 2 times bigger than V - in maths this lack of constance is a nightmare as even the basic addition method I'm sure you recall from kindergarten would be inapplicable)
      this makes it very similar to the yards & inches system in this respect

Comment

In UK we use a bit of both generaly anything in a glass is in pints anything in a bottle is in liters except 1 pint botles of milk.
        wood has to imperial dimensions and a metric one so for example i might go and buy 3meters of 2 by 4 the two and four being inches.
        speed limits are in mph but maps are in km.

The rest of europe always try to make us conform so we make it more confusing to anoy them

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

....so if SGA would be made in continental Europe then this thread would have a different title:

The Metric System - It's truly universal!

Because they're aliens... from another galaxy. They'd use quatlootz or whatever, not feet.
          The guy from Enigma when he described to Sam how the explosion shifted their planet a couple "degrees" he said "decanah" or something like that....That was realism...

Comment

Coming from the UK I would tend to use both systems without any rhyme or reason eg. I quote my height in imperial but my weight in metric or speed of my car in imperial but measure distance in metric. As for wood measurements that made me laugh because I've gone looking for 8 2.5metre 4x4 fence posts and I didn't realize how silly it was.
            Relaxing, sipping beer, watching too much TV

Comment

Originally posted by Poubelle Man View Post
              Unfortunatly for you (and fortunatly for me), the metric system is the international one. And I expect Carter, McKay and Zelenka to use it.( Since they are scientists.)
              Umm, they do. Especially when in reference to scientific matters.

Personally, I am fairly conversant in both systems. I can even do conversions in my head. Scary!
              sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                As for the Mars Orbiter, for someone to use Newtons is so obsurd it's just hilarious.
                You're joking right?

Comment

Working...
                X