Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zelenka's appearance fanservice to quell the anger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zelenka's appearance fanservice to quell the anger?

So we all know Radek won't be featured much in season 4 and most of us have presumed it's because of Sam. A cut budget, bringing in a starring actor from the original show, yeah...

I mean, for the first half of 4x01 "Adrift", Zelenka was referenced (by name!) repeatedly but wasn't actually seen onscreen or even heard through the radio 'til halfway through the episode!

And his screen-time in this episode! I mean, WTF?! She appears but twice this episode and his screen time totals less than three minutes. His first appearance is at the start where Rodney mistakenly thinks he's taking over leadership of Atlantis.

His second appearance is for a 30-second sequence where he... scans for energy. Rodney, the head of the science division, is captive and they send the 2nd in command to scan for energy readings?! A second in command who doesn't even have the gene to perform said action!

It's obvious they only included him to quell our anger of his reduced screentime! Let's give him some token screen time a little here and there to cover up the fact that we won't be using him much this year. I mean, you could remove Zelenka's appearances from "Reunion" and nothing would change. Rodney could talk to Ronon or Teyla about his assumption and Random Scientist #31 could do the scan!

I hate it when they do stuff like have token appearances just for fanservice. I'd rather he not have been featured in "Reunion" (at least not in the "Let's scan for energy!"-scene) at all!

Actually Joe M said Zalenka will have the most screentime in this season than in any other past season. So far he has been in the first 3 eps.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Actually Joe M said Zalenka will have the most screentime in this season than in any other past season. So far he has been in the first 3 eps.
      Yes, and what great screen time he had in "Reunion". Superflous fanservice. And I don't even remember seeing him in "Doppelganger", so if he was featured, it's not like had anything memorable to say or do.

And when did Joe say this? I've heard anything from 7, 10 to 14 episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
        Yes, and what great screen time he had in "Reunion". Superflous fanservice. And I don't even remember seeing him in "Doppelganger", so if he was featured, it's not like had anything memorable to say or do.

And when did Joe say this? I've heard anything from 7, 10 to 14 episodes.
        It was on his blog a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit we are seeing him more this season than in any other seasons. Too soon to really compare. So far I think he is getting more screentime if this trend continues. Dr. Keller for an example was only in the first episode, Zalenka was in all 3.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          It was on his blog a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit we are seeing him more this season than in any other seasons. Too soon to really compare. So far I think he is getting more screentime if this trend continues. Dr. Keller for an example was only in the first episode, Zalenka was in all 3.
          Keller is in 4x04, though. And Keller got a lot of important screentime in 4x01, 4x02 and 4x04. Zelenka's screen time in 4x03 is pathetic.

Comment

Zelenka will be in 14 episodes, David said it by himself.

And it´s Zelenka, not Zalenka, Zelanka, Zelinka and so on
            Seriously, is it so difficult to remember one name and spell it correctly?

This is what makes *this* fan angry

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Joe M's blog September 18th 2007...

Morjana writes: “Would you happen to know how many episodes Dr. Z will be in this year?”

Answer: Sorry, I don’t have the exact episode count. However, episode count aside, Zelenka will be featured more this season than any other.
              sigpic

Comment

Episode count so far:
                4x01 - Adrift - Is referenced for the first half of the episode, but does not appear or even speak through the radio. He gets some important screen time once he shows up, though.
                4x02 - Lifeline - Not that much screen time and not much of it was that important.
                4x03 - Reunion - Crappy, stupid and illogical screen time (why was he there with Sam, Rodney, John and Teyla?! What if a bomb had gone off?! And he doesn't even have the gene to operate the scanner he was using!). Obviously fanservice to quell our anger. Perfectly forgetably. In fact, this episode does not count because of the stupidity of his screen time.
                4x04 - Doppelganger - No screen time

All in all, it's 50-50 so far. I'm not saying it's that bad yet, but if more of his screen time will be like that in "Reunion", riots.

Comment

Actually he was in Doppelganger.

Spoiler:
                  One time I know for sure when he had to lure McKay to the room when they realized the entity or sth was in him.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Not just that, when they returned the crytals back to the planet Zelenka was there as well, and made a comment about the particular event occuring (upon the returning of the crytals, that is).

And if I am not mistaken, he was also in the room with Keller and Rodney regarding the scientifics of the crystals as well, and spoke some techno-babble.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0 View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Not just that, when they returned the crytals back to the planet Zelenka was there as well, and made a comment about the particular event occuring (upon the returning of the crytals, that is).
                      Yeah, I remember now...I just said what first came to mind.

Comment

David posted this on his blog regarding the number of episodes he is in:

It was a good year. 10 episodes for the good Doctor. That's right down the middle.
                        sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=FallenAngelII;7211755]Episode count so far:
                          4x01 - Adrift - Is referenced for the first half of the episode, but does not appear or even speak through the radio. He gets some important screen time once he shows up, though.
                          [Qoute/]

Witch is a lot more than screen time he had in many past episodes.
                          4x02 - Lifeline - Not that much screen time and not much of it was that important.
                          Story of his life...
                          4x03 - Reunion - Crappy, stupid and illogical screen time (why was he there with Sam, Rodney, John and Teyla?! What if a bomb had gone off?! And he doesn't even have the gene to operate the scanner he was using!). Obviously fanservice to quell our anger. Perfectly forgetably. In fact, this episode does not count because of the stupidity of his screen time
                          If only some Doctor, maybe from Scotland, had made a Medicine or retro virus to add the Ancient Activation gene to those that do not have it, like Mckay. If only Wier hired this said doctor so people like Zelenka could use ancient tech...
                          4x04 - Doppelganger - No screen time
                          Yes he was in atleast 3 scenes that 2 of them were VERY important.
                          All in all, it's 50-50 so far. I'm not saying it's that bad yet, but if more of his screen time will be like that in "Reunion", riots.
                          So far Zelenka has been in all the episodes this season. Last season, the one before and the one one that started the show have Episodes that didn't even include Zelenka. So far so good.
                          [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
                          HARRIMAN
                          I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
                          [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
                          HARRIMAN
                          So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by dana View Post
                            Actually he was in Doppelganger.

Spoiler:
                            One time I know for sure when he had to lure McKay to the room when they realized the entity or sth was in him.
                            Originally posted by Mattathias2.0 View Post
                            Spoiler:

And if I am not mistaken, he was also in the room with Keller and Rodney regarding the scientifics of the crystals as well, and spoke some techno-babble.
                            Neither of those appearances count as important screen time. He didn't do anything special, he didn't get a lot of important lines, he didn't get character development. It's more superflous screentime.

I mean, even
                            Spoiler:
                            Lorne got some character development in "Doppelganger". We found out he's a somnambulist. What do we know about Radek after "Doppelganger"?

It's the typical Teyla/Ronon-syndrome. Screen time that's not important, where they're relegated to being wall-flowers or add a few superflous lines.

I prefer my characters to have good screen time.

Originally posted by figment View Post
                            David posted this on his blog regarding the number of episodes he is in:
                            So either David Nykl is lying or Joe Malozzi is lying. Hmmmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR View Post
                              Witch is a lot more than screen time he had in many past episodes.
                              Ummm... yeah. One episode. Yes, one episode. It obviously means he'll get tons of important stuff to do now that the city is not in danger of collapsing in on itself.

Story of his life...
                              Yes, it really is.

If only some Doctor, maybe from Scotland, had made a Medicine or retro virus to add the Ancient Activation gene to those that do not have it, like Mckay. If only Wier hired this said doctor so people like Zelenka could use ancient tech...
                              If only they'd tried said gene therapy on Zelenka with the result being failure.

Yes he was in atleast 3 scenes that 2 of them were VERY important.
                              He didn't do much. He "lured Rodney somewhere". His screentime in that scene (besides wallflowering) was, like 30 seconds. Then when returning to the planet to get another crystal and when returning it, he was one of many. Then he bickered a bit with Rodney while Keller got mesmerized by the thing.

All in all, not that big.

So far Zelenka has been in all the episodes this season. Last season, the one before and the one one that started the show have Episodes that didn't even include Zelenka. So far so good.
                              Quantity does not mean quality. I mean, really, the "Reunion"-screen time. Can someone say "pathetic"? Especially the energy reading bit. They pulled him in for a 20-second sequence where he got to say "Energy signatures detected from over there!" (not a direct quote).

Comment

Working...
                              X