Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it logical for Carter to go off-world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it logical for Carter to go off-world?

I can't wrap my head around Carter going off-world for anything except the a mission where she physically has to be there, ala Weir going on her last off-world mission, and that was a rare, in fact singular event.

There's no way she should have been on that mission to rescue Ronon. What's the purpose, what function did Carter serve there that some other soldier couldn't have performed? If the rescue team had been captured, who would have been in charge, Zalenka?

I think it's fine that Sam would give help in finding solutions, but I think she would be doing it from Atlantis. I know the TPTB want to give Carter a bigger role than Weir had, but it has to remain in the realm of reason.

No it doesnt make sense for Carter or even Zelinka to go off world on that mission. But its TV and lots of time it didnt make sense when Weir, Hammond (although they tended to make these a bit more believable IMHO) Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway or any other scifi command type does it. In fact I was pleaseantly suprised in Lifeline that they left Teyla behind to be in charge as such logic is often overlooked in TV.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Of course it isn't. Especially not when the Tau'ri military presence consists of her and two random Red Shirts instead of her and Lorne at least.

Zelenka's appearance? I'm gonna make a thread about that.

Comment

It's not logical, but Weir did do it several times, most notably in Home, The Siege II, Inferno, Progeny, and Submersion (ok, last one not off-world - but still).

Granted, Carter is now the boss, but at least she has experience going off-world, including scientifically (like Reckoning), diplomatically (like Icon), and military (like loads of SG-1 episodes). I can't see her going off-world all the time, but certainly a little because of her experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0 View Post
          It's not logical, but Weir did do it several times, most notably in Home, The Siege II, Inferno, Progeny, and Submersion (ok, last one not off-world - but still).

Granted, Carter is now the boss, but at least she has experience going off-world, including scientifically (like Reckoning), diplomatically (like Icon), and military (like loads of SG-1 episodes). I can't see her going off-world all the time, but certainly a little because of her experience.
          Those were logical though.

In "Home", they thought they could find a way back to Earth.
          In "The Siege (Part II)", she returned to debrief the IOA on their command.
          In "Inferno", well, I don't know, stupidity. Or the writers just wanted her there to have her negotiate about the warship.
          In "Progeny", they thought they'd found living Ancients. Of course having Elizabeth along for First Contact was logical.
          "Submersion" was just stupidity.

Not in one of these episodes did Elizabeth ever go off-world expecting to run into a military situation where her life would be on the line! The leader can go off-world. Just not deliberately into hostile situations! They're the leaders! What if Sam had been gunned down?! What would they do then?! If Sam and Zelenka had been captured as well, command would've befallen Lorne.

Comment

I totally agree--it seemed to me totally illogical for Carter to go off world, especially so close to her just coming on board. I would have understood it better if Zelenka hadn't been there, seeing as they might have needed a scientist to figure out wraith gadgetry. But like you said, who would have been left to oversee Atlantis if something had happened to the teams? I'm sure Lorne would have been next up. All the other major players were off on this mission. I am all for a leader not being afraid to get down and dirty, but it just didn't seem like the time for her to do it, especially when there were so many other capable people involved already.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
              Those were logical though.

In "Home", they thought they could find a way back to Earth.
              In "The Siege (Part II)", she returned to debrief the IOA on their command.
              In "Inferno", well, I don't know, stupidity. Or the writers just wanted her there to have her negotiate about the warship.
              In "Progeny", they thought they'd found living Ancients. Of course having Elizabeth along for First Contact was logical.
              "Submersion" was just stupidity.

Not in one of these episodes did Elizabeth ever go off-world expecting to run into a military situation where her life would be on the line! The leader can go off-world. Just not deliberately into hostile situations! They're the leaders! What if Sam had been gunned down?! What would they do then?! If Sam and Zelenka had been captured as well, command would've befallen Lorne.
              No, The Siege II was to negotiate for Nuclear Bombs from the Genii. The episode you are thinking of is No Man's Land.

Yes, 2 were not logical, which is my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0 View Post
                No, The Siege II was to negotiate for Nuclear Bombs from the Genii. The episode you are thinking of is No Man's Land.

Yes, 2 were not logical, which is my point.
                Oh, yeah. But that was logical as well.

Let's see:
                Inferno - She was to come and meet a people who'd found a very powerful power source in order to negotiate a trade for said power? Or something like that probably.
                Submersion - Random ****. But it was safe.

In neither of these cases did Elizabeth put herself in a situation which she expected to be hostile! Because the leaders of great expeditions do not do that crap!

Comment

No, it isn't logical, nor is it military protocol for the base commander/ship's commander/etc etc to go off on missions.

Comment

It's illogical! If she was killed in the rescue mission together with Shep, Teyla, Ronon, Mckay and Zelenka who would be left to lead Atlantis - Chuck, Keller or Katie Brown???

Comment

"Is it logical for Carter to go off-world?"

short answer - no
                      long answer - hell no!

Comment

When I saw her join the rescue team my eyes rolled so hard I thought id be permantly damaged

If her going was a necesity to the storyline ala no other scientest capable there etc then I could have suspended my disbelief, but no. Lorne would have been a much more suitable addition IMHO.

Logical thinking in the same sentence as TPTB is wishfull thinking is it not
                        sigpic
                        banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

While it's not totally logical for the base commander to go on a search & rescue mission like Carter did in this episode, think about it from the character's perspective. She's just stepped into a new command, and to some degree has to prove to those serving under her that she's going to support them.

Secondly, she had already been questioned by Ronan regarding her commitment to fighting the Wraith (albeit not in so many words). So you could look at this as a way for Carter to demonstrate to everyone that she is just as dedicated to their mission as Weir was.

Admittedly, the absence of Major Lorne was a mystery, but he could have been off on his own mission. Regardless, Carter was still the senior military officer in Atlantis, and probably has more field experience than most of the people there. So while it's not totally logical, it is understandable.

-kai

Comment

It's her first command of a base (or the second, anyway she doesn't have much experience), it's not logical but she doesn't really know yet who's good and who isn't, instead of risking someone else she decides to go herself.

2 redshirts instead of Lorne could be explained by having Lorne in command of Atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by perfesserkai View Post
                              While it's not totally logical for the base commander to go on a search & rescue mission like Carter did in this episode, think about it from the character's perspective. She's just stepped into a new command, and to some degree has to prove to those serving under her that she's going to support them.

Secondly, she had already been questioned by Ronan regarding her commitment to fighting the Wraith (albeit not in so many words). So you could look at this as a way for Carter to demonstrate to everyone that she is just as dedicated to their mission as Weir was.

Admittedly, the absence of Major Lorne was a mystery, but he could have been off on his own mission. Regardless, Carter was still the senior military officer in Atlantis, and probably has more field experience than most of the people there. So while it's not totally logical, it is understandable.

-kai

I see what your saying but I disagree.

She can demonstrate her caperbilitys in the role she is in now, by making the decisons on who to send and trusting in her peoples capabilities rather than taking there place.
                              Weir would not have gone into a hostile situation such as this unless it was absolutley nesscesary. this in my opinion was not the case this time.

further down the line then maybe, but of the bat to go and do this after giving Ronan that bit about the IOA was weird, wouldnt the IOA want there new leader to remain on base? so you know they dont have to find another leader or worry about that kind of security risk.

perhaps this is the civilian / military difference in leadership?
                              sigpic
                              banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Working...
                              X