Ancients weren't that good with Wireless technologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancients weren't that good with Wireless technologies

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the ancients don't seem to be that great with wireless technologies? Sheppard has to go down nine levels to the core to plug in his tablet with this huge laughable connector on it. Hell even with todays tech I can upgrade an access point 300 miles away from my desk. Not even to mention the fact they don't seem to be big fans of 802.1x technology either...but so long as we need to exploit parallelism and spontaneous resynchronisation of packet boundaries blah de blah blah everyone seems to be deliriously happy about the unrealism of it all.

Its far more likely Rodney would have been able to find the wireless network operating in the city tried to decrypt passwords using some ancient decryption technologies hopped on the network and remotely updated the core, which in all likelihood would have had some horrendously complicated security systems to get past, but then how do we get rid of Weir?

sorry last time I checked none of the consoles in Atlantis has any wiring as opposed to say the Daedalus which has wires all over the walls.
    and if drones aren't the holy grail of wireless technology I don't know what is.
    keeping the core isolated from the network is only smart, it's supposed to be a backup harddrive. we do the same thing on earth with sensitive mainframes and stuff.
    btw the Asurans are wireless too

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
      sorry last time I checked none of the consoles in Atlantis has any wiring as opposed to say the Daedalus which has wires all over the walls.
      and if drones aren't the holy grail of wireless technology I don't know what is.
      keeping the core isolated from the network is only smart, it's supposed to be a backup harddrive. we do the same thing on earth with sensitive mainframes and stuff.
      btw the Asurans are wireless too
      Well its hard to tell if the consoles are wired or not as they are sitting on the floor. Drones seem to me to be an imprint with target, fire and forget solution rather than anything to do with a wireless network. Sure you could argue that the jumper reads your mind wirelessly to imprint the drone but again thats very short range, more like bluetooth. I have a mainframe where I work, its on the network its just extremely hard to access without the proper authentication. The core obviously is on a network otherwise it couldn't distribute updates. What is unbelieveable is that the port that Sheppard plugged into was unprotected. Sure the replicators couldn't alter their programming but they could at least put some authentication mechanisms on the 'mainframe'.

Comment

Ummm.. most any decently secure system is gonna have a secure, isolated core that can't be accessed by just anybody anywhere. Requiring a physical connection is a pretty basic but effective security measure.
        sigpic

Comment

Plus with how easy it seemed that the wraith infiltrated atlantis, i am sure the asurams did not want that happening to them too..

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
            Ummm.. most any decently secure system is gonna have a secure, isolated core that can't be accessed by just anybody anywhere. Requiring a physical connection is a pretty basic but effective security measure.
            Finally!

Where I work, our servers aren't attached to the wireless network...none of them. Of the web servers, the email servers and our backup server with a bunch of drives in a RAID array, only the backup server is connected to ANY part of our local intranet. You also need physical access to the backup drive...it seems impractical before you realize that we have gigabit ethernet set up all around the building and it's almost as fast as local speeds, plus none of the laptops issued are allowed to have anything important on them unless a backup has been put either on a drive or DVD and signed off by one of our three (soon to be 2...means more work for this one) IT managers. It's a pretty good system, I think...if you want to back up a laptop drive, you need to plug it into one of the wall jacks to run the backup script. I would imagine something like that could easily be done by the Asurans...physical access is a great barrier to entry for stealing information or "hacking" someone.
            Erratum5.net: Geeks come hither...
            Check out my Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Matarrese View Post
              Finally!

Where I work, our servers aren't attached to the wireless network...none of them. Of the web servers, the email servers and our backup server with a bunch of drives in a RAID array, only the backup server is connected to ANY part of our local intranet. You also need physical access to the backup drive...it seems impractical before you realize that we have gigabit ethernet set up all around the building and it's almost as fast as local speeds, plus none of the laptops issued are allowed to have anything important on them unless a backup has been put either on a drive or DVD and signed off by one of our three (soon to be 2...means more work for this one) IT managers. It's a pretty good system, I think...if you want to back up a laptop drive, you need to plug it into one of the wall jacks to run the backup script. I would imagine something like that could easily be done by the Asurans...physical access is a great barrier to entry for stealing information or "hacking" someone.
              A physical access barrier is certainly not enough if anyone can also have
              unauthenticated wireless login access (for ex. via Weir's nanites) and
              ...hmph... activate some critical kernel modules in your core computer. I
              can't comment about how good are the Ancients with wireless networks,
              but Asurans' security policy is obviously flawed .

Comment

Originally posted by Samildanach View Post
                Well its hard to tell if the consoles are wired or not as they are sitting on the floor. Drones seem to me to be an imprint with target, fire and forget solution rather than anything to do with a wireless network. Sure you could argue that the jumper reads your mind wirelessly to imprint the drone but again thats very short range, more like bluetooth. I have a mainframe where I work, its on the network its just extremely hard to access without the proper authentication. The core obviously is on a network otherwise it couldn't distribute updates. What is unbelieveable is that the port that Sheppard plugged into was unprotected. Sure the replicators couldn't alter their programming but they could at least put some authentication mechanisms on the 'mainframe'.
                You dont just "imprint", fire and forget the drones...in Adrift McKay clearly says "I cant control 4 drones at once".

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Working...
                X