The best thing that happened in 'Lifeline'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schuey View Post
    I liked the bit when Shepherd refers to the nanites as little b@stards.

I hope that this season really is darker than the previous ones, I want more action, more blood, more gore, basically more everything...
    More action like in "more shooting"? There is plenty of that already. That's not a
    good direction for improvement .

From my point of view the best idea would be to split all the plots in two parts : less
    episodes but better created. In Stargate i often have the feeling that they needed 10
    more minutes : the solutions to the various are rushed in the last 4 minutes of the
    episode .
    The two-part episodes are generally much more interesting because there is
    more time to develop the plot and introduce plot twists .
    Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 18 October 2007, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
      A computer needs to be programmed with both algorithms and with criteria for
      choosing the best algorithm for a particular pair of numbers to be multiplied.
      There is no such thing as "self-programming" computer, except in SF.
      So basically, by the time you have finished programming the right algorithm into the computer, the mathematician has finished and is having dinner. Ok.

Not at all ... they've been disabled (like in "powered off") for a long time.
      Yes - by an EMP. I am not referring to the time when they were turned off. What good is that? They didnt do anything turned off and their being turned off at any point in time adds nothing to this debate.
      I think everyone can accept as canon that while active, the nanites maintain an indefinite link to the mainframe by design. Its not some genius idea that McKay implemented - its what they do.

I'm wondering whether we've watched the same episode.
      Weir did not stand still (as a proxy) while McKay was "hacking" the network with his tablet .

But instead : McKay has reconfigured the nanites to be unable to take control of Weir and then re-enabled them to connect to the Asuran network.
      After this, Weir was the one who started to visiualize the city , give step-by-step instructions to the team, and even play games with the mind of the Asuran leader on his own ground . So, I am indeed crediting dr.Weir for a lot of what happened in that episode.

So because she could "see" the city in her head AFTER McKay reconnected her nanites to the collective, thats her hacking? The schematics and a few directions does not amount to hacking in my books. Its reading a map. One that McKay provided for her. HE connected her undetected to the mainframe, HE found the attack command. She gave directions by looking at a map that was like memory.

Don't get me started on the whole hand in the head thing... I have NEVER accepted that stupid plot device. Both Replicators and Nanites are still solid matter and neither their hands nor our heads suddenly become incorporeal to make it easy to go sticking their hands in.
      : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
      : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
        So basically, by the time you have finished programming the right algorithm into the computer, the mathematician has finished and is having dinner. Ok.
        Come on ...
        The word "computer" comes from the verb "to compute".
        The computers were created in the first place to free us from with the
        tedious and boring need of computing numbers . And they are not
        supposed to mimic or replace what the human brain can do (they
        won't do that in the foreseeable future) , but they are doing well
        (and fast ) their job : to compute numbers !

Ok, there are probably a few corner cases where a good mathematician could
        find some faster ways to multiply certain kinds of numbers. But these corner
        cases are maybe 0.001% of the total number of multiplication operations that the mankind
        needs to be performed daily? Also, you are forgetting to take into considerations all
        those years of study that allowed your mathematician to be able to observe that
        he can use some shortcuts and find the right answer quicker.

I am accepting that you've seen an interesting case, but one particular case is
        not enough to claim that the human brain is able to compute numbers faster.
        You are making this generalization way too easily.

( what about : i see a taxi driver dressed in green and i state "wow: the taxi
        drivers are wearing green today !" . I hope that it's obvious that this kind of
        generalization is a big logical flaw . )

Yes - by an EMP. I am not referring to the time when they were turned off. What good is that? They didnt do anything turned off and their being turned off at any point in time adds nothing to this debate.
        I think everyone can accept as canon that while active, the nanites maintain an indefinite link to the mainframe by design. Its not some genius idea that McKay implemented - its what they do.
        T1 = the moment when the nanites were re-activated in order to repair dr.Weir
        T2 = the moment where the team arrived in the Asuran city and McKay did
        whatever he did to connect Weir's nanites to the network

During the period T1-T2 the nanites were certainly active, but disconnected from the
        Asuran network - regardless how they were "designed" to perform.

So because she could "see" the city in her head AFTER McKay reconnected her nanites to the collective, thats her hacking? The schematics and a few directions does not amount to hacking in my books. Its reading a map. One that McKay provided for her. HE connected her undetected to the mainframe, HE found the attack command. She gave directions by looking at a map that was like memory.
        For me, the whole thing seemed as if Weir had instantly learned a new language
        (which is the Asurans' communication/control protocol). And the humans can't
        just "adapt" to new languages instantly : it takes months or years .

By the way : if McKay was so capable to re-program the nanites so well , why
        didn't he do the same in the episode when Weir was infected in the first place?
        The poor woman had weird illusions with an alternate life in a hospital for a
        whole episode , until they've found a way to disable them.
        But now apparently it has become trivial for McKay to re-program the nanites !

These are just simplistic plot twists that aren't supposed to be consistent or
        logical , but are convenient for saving the show's heroes from impossible
        situations.

Don't get me started on the whole hand in the head thing... I have NEVER accepted that stupid plot device. Both Replicators and Nanites are still solid matter and neither their hands nor our heads suddenly become incorporeal to make it easy to go sticking their hands in.

In this case why are we debating ?!
        My whole point was that the 'Lifeline' plot was exaggerated for many reasons , but
        overall it had one good thing : they've started the war between the two bad enemy
        races (this war will hopefully make the survival of the SGA team more plausible ).
        Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 19 October 2007, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X