No announcement yet.

McKay-Carter Intergalactic Gate Bridge inconsistancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get your point. Is it that the Apollo should've been able to directly dial the mid-way station gate without needing any extra power other than the DHD already provides and since they were just sending radio signals along it wouldn't use as much power as if you were sending people through? The problem is that we know that what drains power is not the act of sending things through the wormhole, but the actual wormhole being active. The longer the distance of a wormhole, the more power is required to sustain it. Thus, in Letters to Pegasus, Rodney was able to make a connection to the Earth Stargate for 1.3 seconds without a ZPM (sending a data burst was possible since it travels through the wormhole faster than a person - a person would've been a fraction of the way through when the wormhole cut off). A ZPM simply would've kept it opened longer.

Under the same conditions the Apollo should've been able to dial the midway station for only about 2.6 seconds since it's about half the distance and the intergalactic bridge is designed so each gate is just far enough away from each other so a stable connection can be made with the power that they each have at hand. The problem is that Mckay had to really push all their naqahdah generators to the limits to get that brief connection. Where as the Apollo had a long back and forth conversation with Sam which should not have been at all possible.

Comment

Regardless of whether the gates are simultaneously open, or open in turn, it should have taken 15 minutes for the message to reach the midway station (half the travel time from milkyway to pegasus via bridge).
      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Oh thank god I am not the only one that noticed this issue. As soon as I heard them talking back to each other via the connection, I was like "They can't do that!". The gates require you to store the matter or data from one while they dial the next gate and forward you on.... 17 times in the case of one galaxy to the midway station. And, as far as I can tell from the past 11 years of established gate physics, a single gate can only sustain one connection to another gate, no more. (Actually, one connection per area of space, as two nearby gates cannot be used at the same time.) So, with this in mind, each gate in the bridge would have to shut down from the previous one before it dials up to the next one to upload the buffer. So, because of the store-and-forward design of the bridge, you can only send matter and data bursts one way with a total latency of a little over 15 minutes from the midway station to each end. However, carrying a full duplex two-way real-time connection is impossible. (Hmmm some networking terminology found itself in that explanation there...lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Mattathias2.0 View Post
          Ok, but aren't we comparing matter transmisson vs a radio signal?

I think it has more to do that the only two compatible gates to create a stable wormhole to and from the Pegasus and Milky Way, is the Earth Gate and the Atlantis Gate (seen in multiple episodes), because Atlantis has a special control crystal.
          My understanding is that other milky way gates may be able to dial Pegasus gates, but clearly that theory has not been tested. I agree that the control crystal is required for Pegasus gates to dial Milky Way gates.

So, it shouldn't require the Atlantis Stargate any extra power to establish a wormhole with Earth (with at least one ZPM), but it would require extra power and that control crystal for a Pegasus Gate to establish a wormhole with Earth.
          With a ZPM and a control crystal any Pegasus gate should be able to dial Milky-Way gates. Agreed.

But the Gate Bridge is NOT having one gate from the Pegasus dial another in the Milky Way, so power is NOT an issue. There is no extra power needed for a gate within the same network to dial another in the same gate network - so reasonably speaking Ellis wouldn't need a ZPM to dial another Pegasus gate for that reason.
          This I disagree with. My feelings are that power is the issue. The DHDs or orbital gate supplies have sufficient power to connect with the other gates in the galaxy. However distance does matter. This is the whole reason why there are a total of 34 gates in the bridge. If power was not a problem, why are there so many gates? Only one gate of each type would be needed, located at the midway space station.

Maybe the macro does not function until matter enters one of the 4 enter/exit gates, and then automatically forwards. This could explain how the SGC actually had no issue contacting Sheppard using that gate, but the macro did not begin working until Sheppard entered the first Milky Way gate.

As far as distance goes, we have no real way to measure any comparison between any of the gates in any galaxies. There simply is not enough information to state what is and isn't possible, but we have seen it happen, so it does work.

We do know for a fact, that in order for Atlantis to Gate anywhere in the Milky Way, requires a ZPM, and in order for Earth to gate to Atlantis, requires them to have a ZPM, but as long as Atlantis has a ZPM, Atlantis can gate Earth anytime. We do for a fact that Pegasus Gates cannot dial another Milky Way Gates without extra power and that control crystal, as stated by McKay.

Comment

maybe they dialled the first gate which sent a transmission to the second gat which dialled the thrid gate and so on and they communicated via sub space, which went through the first gate came out the second gate travelled across space tot he thrid gate and through to the fourth gate then across to the fifth gate and so fourth

Apollo>>>Gate>>>Gate--Subspace--Gate>>>Gate---Subspace---Gate etc

Comment

You would think there would be some issues both physically and mentally with being in a wormhole for 30 minutes

Comment

Working...
              X