Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technically, could President Hayes draft Hammond?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technically, could President Hayes draft Hammond?

Does Pres. Hayes have the power to draft Hammond into leading the Pegasus War?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

I don't believe he could really.

Hammond seems a bit too old to have his commission reactivated (as what happened to O'Neill) and currently I believe the US aren't doing the draft so I can't exactly see them drafting people for a war in another galaxy. But since Hammond was still active in an AU, Hayes could probably request Hammond to come back and do something.

sigpic

Comment

There is no draft in the US, although all males have to register for selective service at 18 in the event that there ever is.

And as far as I am aware, the President can recall anyone who has ever served in the military to active duty so long as they are physically and metally able to serve. So as long as Hammond isn't past retirement age, he could be reactivate.

As far as I am aware.

Comment

I'm pretty hammond is past his retirment age
        Vote Anubis for President in 2012
        A Face you Can Trust
        sigpic
        So whats the worst that could happen?
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
        It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
          Does Pres. Hayes have the power to draft Hammond into leading the Pegasus War?
          I don't think he has this kind of power. and apparently nobody believes it to be necessary that someone with the rank of a General runs Atlantis since Carter's coming over and she's 'only' a Colonel. with Weir it was something different of course since she's a civilian.
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
            I don't think he has this kind of power. and apparently nobody believes it to be necessary that someone with the rank of a General runs Atlantis since Carter's coming over and she's 'only' a Colonel. with Weir it was something different of course since she's a civilian.
            I didn't say "run Atlantis," Carter's over-qualified to do that, so bringing in someone even more qualified would be ridiculous.

Thing is no one is leading the Pegasus War right now. Carter is commanding the Expedition, and Jack is commanding the Tau'ri fleet. The IOA in -turn issues "strong requests" every now and then, and the Marine Corps sometimes sends in ground troops who answer to a field commander Colonel, who carries out Jack's orders.

The thing is, since Jack is always busy with some unsaid random task, there should be a clear commander of the war, coordinating ground & space offenses & re-con missions. Hammond would be the only qualified candidate that we've seen. Carter isn't going to be giving orders to Marine Colonels or BattleCruiser Commanders, so who else is there?
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

I didn't say "run Atlantis," Carter's over-qualified to do that, so bringing in someone even more qualified would be ridiculous.

Thing is no one is leading the Pegasus War right now. Carter is commanding the Expedition, and Jack is commanding the Tau'ri fleet. The IOA in -turn issues "strong requests" every now and then, and the Marine Corps sometimes sends in ground troops who answer to a field commander Colonel, who carries out Jack's orders.

The thing is, since Jack is always busy with some unsaid random task, there should be a clear commander of the war, coordinating ground & space offenses & re-con missions. Hammond would be the only qualified candidate that we've seen. Carter isn't going to be giving orders to Marine Colonels or BattleCruiser Commanders, so who else is there?
              okay I think I understand what you mean. my guess would that nobody sees the whole situation as a war. perhaps that attitude changes since their pre-emptive strike didn't work out and Atlantis being somewhere in space with all its problems. but like I said maybe they thought nothing had to change since everything seemed to be working okay in the past few years.

on the other hand you can't do it from the writers POV. they surely don't wanna have Hammond back and leading a war in another galaxy. and I don't think don davis would wanna rejoin the show.
              sigpic

Comment

She's over qualified to be in command of the most valuable possession and base the Tau'ri have ever got their hands on? I think not. It stretches the imagination that the IOA and the US government would trust her with it, let alone Dr Weir.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  She's over qualified to be in command of the most valuable possession and base the Tau'ri have ever got their hands on? I think not. It stretches the imagination that the IOA and the US government would trust her with it, let alone Dr Weir.
                  I guess by the time Atlantis was finally able to make contact with SGC the IOA must've thought it wouldn't be such a good idea to change the leader or other people vital to the success of the mission since it worked out alright. and if I remember correctly at least Weir got an evaluation by the IOA because of some of her decisions. bringing Carter over is something different of course.

btw what's your opinion on bringing Hammond?
                  sigpic

Comment

An officer can be recalled back to active duty at any time unless they resigned their commission and then, as a general, he could get recalled. Unless he is past forced retirement age.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
                      An officer can be recalled back to active duty at any time unless they resigned their commission and then, as a general, he could get recalled. Unless he is past forced retirement age.
                      That was what I was going to say!!!

plus he is a General and they are usually given alot of respect in thier decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                        I guess by the time Atlantis was finally able to make contact with SGC the IOA must've thought it wouldn't be such a good idea to change the leader or other people vital to the success of the mission since it worked out alright. and if I remember correctly at least Weir got an evaluation by the IOA because of some of her decisions. bringing Carter over is something different of course.

btw what's your opinion on bringing Hammond?
                        Not sure if there's much point, not when O'neill is still about...

Comment

Does the Carter stuff need spoiler tags?
                          Last edited by shrap; 05 October 2007, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            Not sure if there's much point, not when O'neill is still about...
                            I agree. however it's true that O'Neill is back in the MG and not in the PG but apparently nobody believes this could be a problem
                            sigpic

Comment

yes the president does have the power but why would he?

having many generals at his disposole why would he interupt an old mans retirement,when there are plenty of commanders willing and able to take any job required.

Comment

Working...
                              X