What's with the rampant loss of characters? ~spoilers up to Doppelganger~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a theory.

Picture a bunch of Execs around a table.

"Guys, sg-1 has been cancelled. What can we do to get ourselves back on the map, and keep Atlantis afloat. Ahehe, ah hehehe. Sorry. Well?"
    "Well, how about we find other successful sci-fi series, try to identify what makes them different, and then emulate it"
    "Well? Who made successful sci-fi?"
    "What about Joss Whedon? He's got a HUGE fanbase"
    "True. Firefly was cancelled anyway"
    "Yeah, but that was just FOX treating it like crap."
    "I agree. So, what does Joss do that sets his work apart?"
    "Um....he's an excellent writer?"
    "You're fired. You there, what do you think?"
    "Well, Joss always kills off his main characters, especially ones that are well loved by the fans."
    "Really? Guys, I THINK we're on to something"

And so on.

Just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
      If people didnt die the show would be fluff. If the only people that died were redshirts the show would be stuck in a cycle of supermanism.
      It already is stuck in a cycle of supermanism. We know that Sheppard and Rodney are perfectly safe no matter how many other characters drop dead around them. I never have any worries about Ronon and Teyla either because they seem to be invincible too.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
        It already is stuck in a cycle of supermanism. We know that Sheppard and Rodney are perfectly safe no matter how many other characters drop dead around them. I never have any worries about Ronon and Teyla either because they seem to be invincible too.
        Carter's probably save too
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Going through the season right now, I gotta say I didn't remember Dr. Heightmeyer died, I actually thought it was Katie Brown when I was watching it. Maybe they wanted to drop one Kate in favor of another. Too many similar names.

I think the SGA writers at this point, showed they just don't have a plan and/or have an interest in character dynamics they are are not interested in.

In Season 1, Shepard and Rodney sprinted to the front of the line right out of the gate (pun intended). The quickly treated Ford and Teyla as background characters.

I loved Ford, I was in the process of joining the Air Force by going through the ROTC program. (I got medically disqualified, ). I related to him, but I also sensed an interesting dynamic where Ford would be the more experienced one with SG teams and Shepard would be adjusting to the new tactical options.

Instead, Shepard seemed to adapt like it was no big deal and Ford was treated like a dorky kid brother. In the second half of season 1, we saw Ford demonstrate expertise in weaponry, but he was never allowed to be shown as a competent fighter. That was for Shepard.

Teyla got one full episode Suspicions and then a critical role in The Siege.

Unlike season 1 of SG1, where each team member's role, history, values, and motivations were explored. Sure they had more episodes per season than SGA did in the first 5 seasons, but the writers seemed interested in the characters they created.

In SGA's first season, it seemed they had no interest in Ford or Teyla and Carson Beckett stood out in the pilot episode's two parter, that Poison in the Well was just a natural way to explore that. But Rodney, Shepard, and Carson were all straight, white, male roles.

They were given space to have depth and complexity. Shepard being smart enough to surprise Rodney. Rodney being his usual abrasive self with fear of everything. And Carson as the neighborly Scottish doctor who makes house calls.

Ford was never given anything other than kid military. And Teyla was stuck as an outsider who can fight.

These were and are characters created for the show's pilot with the mindset they would form an interesting dynamic. And the writers were only interested in two of the characters and one of the dynamics.

That is the show's greatest weakness, either a lack of interest or a weak showrunner.

Comment

^^ what they said... except when the Heightmeyer part, I'm her Lemming after all.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
            X