• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Doppelganger' (404) General Discussion

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON FOUR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 404

During an off-world mission Colonel Sheppard unknowingly becomes host to an alien entity, which infects others in Atlantis and afflicts them with terrifying nightmares.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 12:50 AM.

Bye, bye Kate we hardly knew you. *sad*
    sigpic
    My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
      Bye, bye Kate we hardly knew you. *sad*
      Yes that's what it felt like. "Oh let's kill her off as if she was one of the side characters."

Comment

Originally posted by Erised View Post
        Yes that's what it felt like. "Oh let's kill her off as if she was one of the side characters."
        It was such a surprise! Why was it necessary? To prove the gravity of the virus? Like evil shep running around in everyones dream wasn't clue enough.
        I did like the episode though. I have sneaky suspicion these leaked episodes are all very planned moves.
        I am not an expert though.
        sig made by me

Comment

Remember that "Doppelganger" carried a production number of 401, since it was shot first. It's not a leap to think that someone at MGM sent over the wrong file because it was tagged by number and not by title.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            Remember that "Doppelganger" carried a production number of 401, since it was shot first. It's not a leap to think that someone at MGM sent over the wrong file because it was tagged by number and not by title.
            didn't know that. Could be then.
            sig made by me

Comment

That's a good point, Darren and probably the explanation. I hadn't remembered that about the shooting order.

Either way, this was a fantastic episode. Killing Heightmeyer off was, well, whatever. Did it have to be her, no, but it did add a little more depth since Teyla has relied on her before a few times and maybe that was the point more than anything.

The dialogue was witty, the fight scene was really fantastic. I loved Evil!Shep, Joe F did a marvelous job portraying a sociopath. I sure believed it!

For as much footage of this episode was used in promo vids, the plot surprised me. It didn't unravel quite like I had expected and that was kind of cool. Instead of it actually basing itself in Sheppard like I had figured, it was going from one person to the next. Interesting.
              sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed the episode as well.... Unfortunately, I was attempting to download Adrift from iTunes and was really looking forward to seeing the season premier. I guess I should explain, I don't have a television because of my kids so I rely on either Unbox or iTunes to watch Atlantis. Well Unbox doesn't have it and iTunes got it wrong....
                But on a side note. Doppelganger was a great episode! I love the clown in the boat. That was hilarious! Especially if you remember last season J Sheppard talking about how much he hated them.

Comment

I see TPTB are still dusting off old SG1 scripts. Sad. Really sad.

Oh yes, let's kill off another well-liked character. *shakes head*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                    I see TPTB are still dusting off old SG1 scripts. Sad. Really sad.

Oh yes, let's kill off another well-liked character. *shakes head*
                    There were even references to SG1 by Carter...

I'm stealing this for Erised

"Well, we encountered this before.. blah blah"
                    "Well, we came across this technology on a mission.. blah blah.."
                    sigpic
                    My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Its Cold Lazarus from SG1. They just tweaked it a bit for the Atlantis characters, but its clearly based on the old CL script.

Thumbs down for lack of imagination, but I guess those who didn't watch SG1 will probably enjoy it.

Comment

Hmm. Doppelganger. I don't get SciFi, so I have to rely on iTunes or Unbox to see the show. I set out to get Adrift, but ended up with Doppelganger.

Overall, not a bad episode. I wish I'd made some notes while watching, but here's my impression.

Death of Kate. I have mixed emotions on this one. It made more impact than the death of a guest character would have, and I'd rather lose Kate than Zelenka or Lorne. But...we've had quite a few losses lately. It just...I'm tired of losing people. This isn't Heroes.

The obvious (and awkward IMO) pushing of the J/T ship. I'm keeping in mind this was filmed before TPTB knew that Rachel was pregnant (although there was one shot she almost looked like she was showing a little bit), so....I have a feeling they derailed this later on down the road. But...for a nonshipper like myself, it was cringeworthy, and rather felt like I was getting hit over the head. The hug in particular was quite forced, and felt out of place.

Carter-mixed here also. She's still really stiff in her dialogue, and I was hoping she'd lose a little of that. There was also far too much of the "When I was on SG-1" thrown in....remember Mitchell and him constantly bringing up reading SG-1's mission reports? But she did have a few good moments - there was a good moment with Keller after she announced the death of Dr Heightmeyer.

I like Keller! I really do! I'm surprised that I like her so much. Yeah, she's too young for the job, but if I don't let myself think about that part of it, she's really an enjoyable character.

The dream sequences were good(mostly). Teyla's fear of the bug!Sheppard was understandable, after the way Shep attacked her in S2, although I could have really done without Ronon's "I always knew you guys would hook up." Thud! Another hit over the head-way to be subtle. Ronon's fear of being buried alive? Where did that come from? It would have been nice if we'd known why Ronon has a fear of that. Keller's dream was the best I think. Lorne was good in his sleepwalking. And very thunkworthy. I think they could have done more with the dream sequences - for all the buildup for this ep, it wasn't near as big a deal as I thought it was going to be, and they weren't near as dark as I was expecting. I liked what they did - I guess I just wanted more of it, darker dreams, more dreams per person. I think it would have been better if they'd all kept having the dreams, instead of one dream per person. That kind of took down the creepy element I think.

Some great Sheppard/McKay friendship moments. Shep going into Rodney's dream to save him, and then Rodney doing the same for him. That whole last part was great. The evil!Shep tearing down Rodney, and the real Shep encouraging him. And Shep's stunned devastation when he thought Rodney was dead, and everyone condeming him for it. And lots of Shep whump - the evil!Shep really beat Shep up good. I could hear the whumpers screaming in my ear.

So....overall pretty good. Not awesome great, but pretty good.
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                        sigpic

Comment

Killdeer, yeah I felt like I was getting hit over the head with J/T too. It was way too much for a show that never commits to ships.

I really like Keller too but I am so bitter about Carson that I just cannot like her too much. She's fun though.

Comment

So, Heightmeyer joins the Dead Doctors Club. Who's next? My money is on Zelenka.

Coop really needs to stay away from Atlantis. Referencing one SG-1 episode is bad, but three? Just sad. At least it wasn't McKay remembering old SG-1 mission reports. I guess referencing old SG-1 missions is okay because Carter experienced them.

Comment

Originally posted by Erised View Post
                              I really like Keller too but I am so bitter about Carson that I just cannot like her too much. She's fun though.
                              I miss Carson too. But I do like Keller-I wasn't sure if I would, because I wasn't really a Kaylee fan. But I enjoyed her here. In a perfect world, we'd have Carson and Keller both.

Originally posted by gange57 View Post
                              So, Heightmeyer joins the Dead Doctors Club. Who's next? My money is on Zelenka.
                              Oh better not be! Grrrr! That would really really tick me off. We know he survives at least until
                              Spoiler:
                              Quarentine,
                              but who knows after that?

Originally posted by gange57 View Post
                              Referencing one SG-1 episode is bad, but three? Just sad.
                              Oh, that's no joke.
                              - Life after Stargate -
                              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X