Weir in Adrift and Lifeline (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir in Adrift and Lifeline (Spoilers)

This thread is to discuss Weir in Adrift and Lifeline - episodes that some have already seen and that will be broadcast in the US in a couple of weeks.

A few groundrules

The topic is Weir, and it's a discussion thread, so pro and con posts are appropriate here. This is not a singularly pro or anti thread.

The topic is Weir, not Carter. In discussions, some aspects will be on topic, but this will not descend into a Carter vs Weir thread. Please take that elsewhere.

Since spoilers are noted in the title and since this thread will eventually be moved into the episode discussion folder, spoiler space is not needed here, but please remember that it IS needed anywhere outside this thread

Let's have a nice discussion about Weir and the events of Adrift and Lifeline
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Let's just say the writers had a really neat way of letting go of Torri Higginson. It wasn't at all senseless like Carson, it was just awesome.

I just hope she will not turn into a Ford-like character.
    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

I was surprised by the way they got rid off her. And I didn't like it. As a matter of fact these two episodes were awlful. I don't understand how JM could describe them as something that will become the favourite of the fans! I am a fan and I didn't like them.

I am ok with Weir and nanniets, but to leave her so easy?? They were just a few meters aways when she screamed to Sheppard and Ronon to go. Why Sheppard din't try to resque her? Did only Rodney care about Weir? If it was left to Sheppard's decision she would have died from her injures. Somehow the way Sheppard acted in Adrift - she is better dead, then with naniets and his other action in Lifeline - to leave her - did not cover the image that was built for him in Season 1 - Season 3.

Yea, I know some of those that watched and liked the two episodes will say Weir ordered Sheppard to leave her, but since when he has followed her orders without questions?? I hope the other 2 episodes in which Weir will be to be better than that.
      LONG LIVE THE WRAITH!
      Member of the Wraith' Defenders Club
      http://petitionspot.com/petitions/wraithrights/
      My fan fiction

Comment

i realy liked the way weir was written to the back ground
        It leaves a way for her to return but probley with another agenda
        May she and oberoth will rule the asurans together
        but the replicators now also know of the gate bridge so it opens up a few interesting story lines

Comment

Originally posted by female Wraith View Post
          I was surprised by the way they got rid off her. And I didn't like it. As a matter of fact these two episodes were awlful. I don't understand how JM could describe them as something that will become the favourite of the fans! I am a fan and I didn't like them.

I am ok with Weir and nanniets, but to leave her so easy?? They were just a few meters aways when she screamed to Sheppard and Ronon to go. Why Sheppard din't try to resque her? Did only Rodney care about Weir? If it was left to Sheppard's decision she would have died from her injures. Somehow the way Sheppard acted in Adrift - she is better dead, then with naniets and his other action in Lifeline - to leave her - did not cover the image that was built for him in Season 1 - Season 3.

Yea, I know some of those that watched and liked the two episodes will say Weir ordered Sheppard to leave her, but since when he has followed her orders without questions?? I hope the other 2 episodes in which Weir will be to be better than that.

Sheppard had no choice but to leave her.. She was loosing her control over Oberoth and once she did every replicator would be upon them and they would be captured. How did you expect Sheppard to defend Weir and the others against hundreds of replicators.. also if they were captured then no ZPM and the shields fail and Atlantis plummets to the ground, and everyone is killed. Weir knew this.. and John also, they both acted for the greater good. I think Sheppad did care.. you could see the emotion in his face.. but he did what any good leader would do, and he made a hard decision as he couldn't let his emotions get in the way. Rodney also realised this and carried out Sheps order to stop the signal to the nanites which would of killed her.

All of them realised what they had to do to save Atlantis, and even WEIR herself.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
            Let's just say the writers had a really neat way of letting go of Torri Higginson. It wasn't at all senseless like Carson, it was just awesome.

...but was it original? Reckoning anyone? On top of that they ripped off Voyager. TPTB, transformed Weir into SEVEN of NINE and then into Daniel Jackson. It seems that TPTB have no idea how to kill a character. Carson died like Janet, Weir takes the boot like Ford.
            Last edited by Integrabyte; 16 September 2007, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I was also disappointed with how quickly the team was willing to leave her behind and how superficial their emotions were later. There were some sad faces, but no weeping, no anguish, no rage. It felt flat.

I found it hard to believe that everyone was willing to try the extremely risky attempt at the core, especially with Weir in such a fragile state and with the lack of backup. No one said "This is a stupid idea and way too risky in our state. We need to leave, and if we lost that great opportunity then well, we lost it." It didn't even matter if Weir wanted to try it (and should they have been so willing to listen to her when she was in such a state anyway?)- Shep has the authority to override her in this situation.

Comment

In my opinion it was the lesser of two evils ... he could have tried to save her but in the end she was ultimatly 2 weak after her encounter with oberoth to escape in good time plus it would have most likly resulted in atlantis bein destroyed. i do believe this was a good way for weirs character to have been taken out of the mix for the time being, leaves many possibilities open

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  This thread is to discuss Weir in Adrift and Lifeline - episodes that some have already seen and that will be broadcast in the US in a couple of weeks.

A few groundrules

The topic is Weir, and it's a discussion thread, so pro and con posts are appropriate here. This is not a singularly pro or anti thread.

The topic is Weir, not Carter. In discussions, some aspects will be on topic, but this will not descend into a Carter vs Weir thread. Please take that elsewhere.

Since spoilers are noted in the title and since this thread will eventually be moved into the episode discussion folder, spoiler space is not needed here, but please remember that it IS needed anywhere outside this thread

Let's have a nice discussion about Weir and the events of Adrift and Lifeline
                  Yeahhhhh. Thanks Sky

Originally posted by metabog View Post

I really enjoyed this story arc, it allowed TH to stretch her acting skills, provided the fans with something meaty to explore and discuss how they're going to rectify the situation and where Weir will end up? Will she return from the dark side, or plot an offensive against Atlantis? Very intriguing. And if i'm honest, i thought her 'exit' was better than Becketts'.

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                  ...but was it original? Reckoning anyone? On top of that they ripped off Voyager. TPTB, transformed Weir into SEVEN of NINE and then into Daniel Jackson. It seems that TPTB have no idea how to kill a character. Carson died like Janet, Weir takes the boot like Ford.
                  Were we watching the same thing? How was it anything like Reckoning? The 7 of 9 thing, there are similarities, granted, but did you honestly see this coming? As for the killing off of characters, isn't it nice that they get a meaty story arc before their departure? And why would you want them to kill weir off?

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                  I was also disappointed with how quickly the team was willing to leave her behind and how superficial their emotions were later. There were some sad faces, but no weeping, no anguish, no rage. It felt flat.

I found it hard to believe that everyone was willing to try the extremely risky attempt at the core, especially with Weir in such a fragile state and with the lack of backup. No one said "This is a stupid idea and way too risky in our state. We need to leave, and if we lost that great opportunity then well, we lost it." It didn't even matter if Weir wanted to try it (and should they have been so willing to listen to her when she was in such a state anyway?)- Shep has the authority to override her in this situation.
                  They were severely outnumbered, and sometimes you need to make a hasty retreat to regroup and start again. It's not leaving someone behind, it's making sure that you live long enough to try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                    They were severely outnumbered, and sometimes you need to make a hasty retreat to regroup and start again. It's not leaving someone behind, it's making sure that you live long enough to try again.
                    When I had heard about that scene, that's exactly what crossed my mind. We know as of now that if Weir is taken over by nanites they won't killer or anything of that nature...since we have been given nothing to say that the Asurans kill those who are like them. They would most likely reprogram her, but at that point we could have McKay working up on a backdoor method to alter those nanites and sort of bring back the "old Weir" (if we can call her that---at this point her memories as weir are sort of like imbedded memory programs--"undeletable cookies"). At least she still has a chance and it would give the team to organize and then try to rescue her...I also heard the nanite guns stopped working...they were definitely in need of a retreat and attack later.

Again, as stated above at least they can try again. Now if she was taken by the Wraith that would be a different situation entirely. At the moment Weir is not a husk of skin and bone as she would have been if it was the Wraith.

And as was mentioned by BA they were under time constraints with the Ex on Atlantis...that's a good 50+ lives over one. We saw this on TLG and Teyla was going to take John out if McKay didn't come in the nick of time.
                    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Weir can be a key player by the Asurans, because she has human body and only some nanites in her brain. So we can't call her "real" RepliWeir, because RepliCarter's whole body were created by nanites and only her skin were made by "Reese's technology".

They can cure her easily in a scifi show:

first step - stop the nanites, than here are 3 idea:

1. put her in a sarcophagus - the free Jaffas have to bring one to Atlantis
                      2. call a Tok'Ra to cure her - they can make her to be a host, so she can play two character in season 5
                      3. call the Nox to resurrect her - they will ask how could she marry to Narim

So, please, don't be sad. The writers can find a solution to save her if they want. Never forget, that SG is only a television show and it's not worth to hate each other because of the series.
                      Last edited by Platschu; 17 September 2007, 10:01 AM.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post

If this is true then I think your line of thinking as what "shep should have done" is very selfish. Wasn't the goal to get to killing the Wraith who are an extremely deadly foe?! Why then if they had the chance they shouldn't take the risk if they might not have a chance later. Again, as I stated in a previous post McKay could always work on a method to reprogram Weir...once they awakened the nanites they were basically in charge of her body since I was told McKay couldn't even turn them off. If McKay couldn't override them at the moment they needed to over-ride them, then Weir was lost to them from that point. She's taken over by those chips. That being said Weir would prove to be a liability to the SGA Ex and Earth because the Asurans would be able to tap into her and use her...the opportunity would definitely be lost all around to them to reprogram the Asurans as wraith killers. All they're tricks would be known because they could again tap into Weir. This was a prime opportunity and they were successful in it and Weir would then be successful in her endeavour and the SGA Ex could rescue her later.

No one is saying it's not risky and I would think the timing off...but if they could pull it off with almost without a hitch then from what I heard this paticular mission was successful. Kavanaugh had listed quite a bit of cons in 38 Minutes that Weir over rode and they were successful...this is a similar situation in the level of danger and riskiness but again successful.
                        Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Thanks Skydiver for opening this thread! Finally somewhere to discuss this storyline!

I liked Weir's arc here. What I liked most is that she sacrificed herself to save the team. No doubts, no hesitation. She ordered Sheppard to go and save himself and his team, and he obeyed her order. It was an heroic exit, and not meaningless or random in any way. She went up in my estimation for being so selfless.

I really liked that she beat Oberoth at his own game. I had no idea that the scenario where the team were captured was a creation by Weir in Oberoth's head, and I liked her strength of mind and character here. It was a great twist.

I loved the look of horror on Weir's face when she understood what Rodney had done by re-activating the nanites. She honestly would rather have died, I think. I liked that Sheppard knew that much about her, and didn't want her to have to endure the nanites taking over parts of her body, so she couldn't live if they weren't activated. He knew she'd hate that and she did. Weir didn't want to be a risk and the security and safety of Atlantis was her first priority at all times. That was good to see.

Her capture didn't surprise me, but I was glad she didn't go bad or turn against the team. She looked helpless and over-powered and that was sad to see, but I like that.
                          Last edited by Linzi; 16 September 2007, 10:22 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                            I really liked that she beat Oberoth at his own game. I had no idea that the scenario where the team were captured was a creation by Weir in Oberoth's head, and I liked her strength of mind and character here. It was a great twist.
                            That was a great scene indeed.

Comment

I liked that Ronon tried to shoot down Oberoth, but they became resist to gun fire too. So they could do nothing for her there.

I liked the Sheppard wanted to transport back Weir with Apollo, so he didn't give up.

We should wait 4x03 to get whole picture about Weir's fate and Carter's "real" arriving.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X