• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INTERVIEW: Carl Binder (Writer)

AUDIO INTERVIEW:
    MOVING FORWARD
    GateWorld talks with Carl Binder

The man behind some of Stargate Atlantis's best stories talks with GateWorld about the successes and failures of Season Three, and what is to come in the new season.

READ MORE ...

After listening to the interview did it feel to anyone else like Carl was reading off of cue cards? maybe at gun point? maybe being held by Joseph M.? It's strange after hearing about Carl's history in the industry I always thought he was more likely the enforcer on the show. But now that I read Joe M.'s blog more and more it seems when Joe tells Carl to smile for the camera he does just that... albeit looking mighty frightened in most pictures.

Comment

Hmmm...so just because what Carl says doesn't agree with what you think (i.e. he agrees with JM), he's being coerced?

That's a very interesting/disturbing train of thought you got there.

Comment

When at any point in my post did I say i didn't agree with Carl. My observation (and it was just that, not judging his interview as agreeing or disagreeing with any point) was that Carl seemed uneasy. So quick to jump to a his defense (regardless of the fact he wasn't even attacked) makes me think someone has a itty bitty crush.

Comment

I've seen a lot of idiots picking up on some innocent little factor in interviews or articles and pointing to it as an indication that TPTB (or, more often, Joe Mallozzi himself) is manipulating the actors or other writers so they'll tout the party line. It's a ridiculously self-centered ("oh, just because they think that everything is fine behind the scenes, which I disagree with, must mean that he actually does agree with me, but that they're not saying what they really want because of Joe M!") and paranoid point of view that I feel I have to attack.

And by the line "maybe at gun point? maybe being held by Joseph M.?" and of course "it seems when Joe tells Carl to smile for the camera he does just that... albeit looking mighty frightened in most pictures" I just assumed that that's what you were doing too. How wrong of me to make such a false assumption, eh?

Comment

OK... so Carl is saying (as is Joe) that this season is darker, that they are doing a "soft reset" and that they hope by the end of the season (4) that the team is stronger then ever but Atlantis as an outpost is not so strong.

Well bugger me if that doesn't sound a little bit like the way season one ended.... Just before the Daedalus showed up.

Why the frak did they waste time (yes imho time has been wasted) ruining the show (yes the show was ruined imho) in season's 2 & 3 by doing the complete opposite to this? Also no matter how many times tptb say it, I am not looking forward to seeing the recurring characters return, it makes no sense to have a regular character become a semi-regular or a recurring character, I know what happens to Weir *that cat is well and truly out of the bag now*
            Spoiler:
            they should let it (her) go... it will never make sense to me to have "missing" characters just reappear Ford style, well Ford style with a small twist of Weir not being insane... and I can't even imagine the waste of time Carson returning will be to the show, only to then turn around and be gone again in two eps, sure some small part of fandom will tune in for a couple of episodes but then they will go again, nothing gained
            and I don't think it will add anything of value (or new) to the show.

Of course that is my opinion.

I do have to say I was a little disappointed that Carl wasn't challenged about his love of Irresistible, it is common knowledge that some fans were upset by the premise of that episode, sure Carl didn't write it but he talked happily about it being one of his faves of season 3.

He is now part of what fandom loosely referrers to as tptb. I would have liked some more intelligent talk on that episodes place in SGA, on whether it is really true that these grown men didn't think twice (or once) of the implications of a date-rape drug being used for humour in the episode *shrugs* I would have welcomed that myself... oh well, it seems the hard hitting questions *if you think that would be hard hitting * are not what GW wants answered.

*sigh*

Fair enough.

*runs away from the wrath of PG15*

Comment

Enjoyed this interview can't wait for the new season
              sigpic
              Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
              Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by Jinto View Post
                After listening to the interview did it feel to anyone else like Carl was reading off of cue cards? maybe at gun point? maybe being held by Joseph M.? It's strange after hearing about Carl's history in the industry I always thought he was more likely the enforcer on the show. But now that I read Joe M.'s blog more and more it seems when Joe tells Carl to smile for the camera he does just that... albeit looking mighty frightened in most pictures.
                I know what you mean. I had a feeling he wasn't exactly answering the questions in a relaxed manner, which could mean he wasn't saying what he really means but was rather trying to say "the right things", what's expected of him to say by the new show runners.
                Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Case in point.

Comment

Why can't you accept a different opinion than yours? It's just that. Many other interviews seem more fun and relaxed, the ones interviewed seem more sincere because of that.
                    Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                    at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

I won't "accept" that opinion the same reason why I don't accept the opinion that 1+1 = 3. True, in your opinion Carl may have come out stilted, but that's as far as it goes. Somehow projecting that into saying that TPTB have these people on a leash to tout the party line is waaaay outside of anything reasonable, and has absolutely no evidence for it. What's more, of course, it insults one of the parties involved for no perceivable reason, when that could've easily be avoided by drawing another conclusion.

It's presumptuous in the worst instance.

Comment

Working...
                      X