solar system question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solar system question

Instead of using the distant solar system to terra form planets when earth got too populated why didnt they just terra form planets and moons in our system. It would be alot better except for the fact that there would be less planets and moons. One reason it would be better is they would get the latest technology even ftl if it was made. Another reason it would be better would be they would still keep contact with the home planet and not have to travel on a generation ship to a different solar system. So what is the point of going to another solar system to terra form planets when there are a 100+ in their backyard.
    sigpic

I don't know much about it, but do we know they didn't terraform planets and moons in our system as well? Plus, if we got FTL that would be able to spread quickly anyways, but in that verse they haven't exactly shown the desire nor ability to readily share things with everyone anyway.

Comment

It's a valid question but I'd imagine that bu the time it got that bad for us to have leave earth, they would have done much more extenisve surveys of the surrounding systems and probably found planets that would be easier to to Terraform.

Also, you've got to remember that no others planets have similar graity to Earth and gfravity can play a huge role on physical development. All the worlds on Firefly seemed to be of similar size.

The thing I keep wondering is how a system with so many large planets and moons can exist. I mean wouldn't so many planetary bodies increase the chance of collision astronomically? And I don't mean colision while the planets are actually populated but colisions that would have presented them forming.

And if, if planets could successfully form in such conditions, I'd imagine they'd have to be some distance apart which begs the question: How do they get enough sunlit to be viable habitats for humanity (excuse the pun )?

Perhaps it a binary system. The orbits would ahve to be massivley complex though...

hmmmm
      sigpic

Comment

i think to find planets with approite gravity, sunlight, closnes to earth, it oculd also be natural recources and land masses on the plantes
        Originally posted by cowpants
        ...you did it. I can't believe you actually did it. I am quite frankly astounded that you did it.

Thanks to you, I now want several mods to start mating with each other. I wanting to see what Moderator procreation will have in store for us.

And I thought that no one could get me to want this.

Congrats Mapp, you are officially the single most disturbed individual on GW.
        Spoiler:

Spoiler:
        Rosilin for pres

Comment

When terraforming a planet you have to take into consideration gravity, distance from the sun, size and composition of the planet, how likely meteorite strikes are, what mineral deposits there are (for building materials) whether there is water (easier than transporting it). Just because there are planets close to Earth it doesn't mean they are suitable for terraforming!

Comment

i thought they said in the movie that they found a system with many earthlike/terracompatible planets? or did i mishear it? and do we know for sure that the drive they have in firefly is actually FTL or just really fasT?
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

In the movie they said 'Earth-that-was could no longer sustain our numbers, we were so many. We found a new solar system, dozens of planets and hundreds of moons. Each one terraformed - a process taking decades, to support human life. To be new Earths.' I didn't even have to look that up!

The speed of the ships has never been confirmed as being faster than light, although if all of the planets and moons are in the same solar system it isn't really necessary.

Comment

nice, i have a lot of dvd's lined up to watch, but i really need to put firefly back in my rotation.
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                  nice, i have a lot of dvd's lined up to watch, but i really need to put firefly back in my rotation.
                  Its out of rotation? I seem to watch Firefly and Serentity every few weeks! I think 'I might watch Jaynestown, good way to fill 45 minutes' and end up watching the entire series and film!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                    Its out of rotation? I seem to watch Firefly and Serentity every few weeks! I think 'I might watch Jaynestown, good way to fill 45 minutes' and end up watching the entire series and film!
                    i recently came into a big chunk of money due to miscalculated income tax 8 months ago, and i decided to buy all the dvd's i have been meaning to buy for AGES, so i have BSGs3, SGA season 1 and 2 to watch, X-Files 1-9, the lone gunmen, and then i'll have to put in firefly there, and then Lost seasons 1 and 2
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    Quotes!
                    sigpic

Comment

If you have some extra laying around, Avatar...

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                        i recently came into a big chunk of money due to miscalculated income tax 8 months ago, and i decided to buy all the dvd's i have been meaning to buy for AGES, so i have BSGs3, SGA season 1 and 2 to watch, X-Files 1-9, the lone gunmen, and then i'll have to put in firefly there, and then Lost seasons 1 and 2
                        Wow! Thats a lot of DVDs to watch! If you need some help getting through them all I can watch Lost for you and Atlantis Season 2

Comment

yeah it is and they're jut the ones i've only just recently bought, i have 9 1/2 seasons of SG-1 on top of that too, it'll take me months to get through them all probably, by which time i'm hoping to have bought the rest of season 1 and atlantis season 3. that's a lot of couch time.
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          Quotes!
                          sigpic

Comment

I think the worlds from Firefly are supposed to be in a star cluster. I found this ma and it says it is from the official visual companion or something like that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                              I think the worlds from Firefly are supposed to be in a star cluster. I found this ma and it says it is from the official visual companion or something like that.

I suppose I could accept that, seems more plausible than that many terraformable worlds in one system, and it might also explain how they could "lose" a planet. Although I wonder if radiation levels would be too high with that many stars that close to each other.
                              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
                              X