This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That immortal plastic bird...

How many times do people need to be told before they get it: the "plastic turkey" story was a bloody fabrication!

Just another illustration of how many people believe sensationalist rubbish, and how few read the corrections page.
    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

eh?
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      eh?
      The plastic turkey myth. You know, the ancient legend about how George Bush, during his trip to Iraq in 2003, served the troops a Thanksgiving turkey that turned out to be a plastic prop intended for the photo-op? Well, that was one big fat lie, and the correction was issued like AGES ago- but I keep running into people for whom it's nothing short of an article of faith that the turkey was plastic. I've stumbled upon another one today, and I am mildly annoyed.
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

does anyone actually care?
        sigpic
        http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
        http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Well, people keep citing it in conversations and articles and such, so I guess they do care.

Comment

LOL! I love the plastic turkey stories and references that persist to this day. They make for great laughs...as in people are stupid enough to perpetuate the story.

The blogger Tim Blair keeps up with the fake turkey sightings....and apparently there has been a flurry of them lately....
            IMO always implied.

Comment

...Who has a plastic turkey?

Can I have one?
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                ...Who has a plastic turkey?

Can I have one?
                Mapp. It's mine!

Comment

ohh sorry.
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                    ohh sorry.

Comment

first i've heard of it, but i say, you haven't tasted turkey, until you've tasted plastic turkey!

Comment

Working...
                      X