This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Who series put on hold

The fifth series of Doctor Who is to be put on hold for 12 months, throwing David Tennant's future on the show into further doubt.
    The BBC said today that the fifth run of the Saturday teatime show would not be shown until 2010, two years after the fourth series airs next year.

It means 2009 will effectively be a "gap year" filled by three Doctor Who specials starring Tennant and overseen by head writer Russell T Davies.

Today's announcement will add to speculation over the long-term future on the show of both Tennant and Davies, who masterminded its return to the small screen with Christopher Eccleston in 2005.

It follows a Daily Mirror report today that Tennant will play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company between July and November next year.

"Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas," said Jane Tranter, controller, BBC Fiction.

"Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010."

The next series, which will be broadcast next spring, will be Tennant's third in the title role after Eccleston left following Doctor Who's comeback season in 2005.

But Tennant's long term future on the show has been the subject of much speculation, which came to a head after it was confirmed he would spend half of next year on stage in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Mr Davies's future on the show, which films for nine months of the year in Cardiff, is also in doubt after he indicated his long-term ambitions lay elsewhere.

"I wouldn't want to do series seven," Mr Davies told the Observer in March. "There are other things I want to do."

The show's lead writer and executive producer, Mr Davies took on a "show runner" role overseeing all creative aspects of the drama and in particular leading the team of Doctor Who writers, as well as scripting individual episodes himself.

One of the show's writers, Steven Moffat, who was behind BBC2 sitcom Coupling, has been tipped to take over the show runner role if Mr Davies quits.

Doctor Who will next be seen on screen in a Christmas special co-starring Kylie Minogue at the end of this year.

Next year's fourth series will also see the return of Catherine Tate as the doctor's sidekick following her appearance in the last Christmas special as motormouth Donna.

The show has become one of the BBC's most important ratings winners, a linchpin of its Saturday night schedule equally well received by viewers and critics alike.

Doctor Who's last series ended in July with 8 million viewers, a 39% share of the audience.

"The success of Doctor Who is a fantastic tribute to the dedication and expertise of the production team at BBC Wales who have worked on the project from the outset," said Menna Richards, controller, BBC Wales, announcing the future scheduling of the show today.

"This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience. BBC Wales is looking forward to producing the fifth series."

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...161700,00.html

Same story as published by the BBC News website:

BBC reveals Doctor Who 'gap year'

David Tennant's appearance in the fifth series of Doctor Who looks uncertain after it was revealed there will be no new series in 2009.

The fourth series, starring Tennant, is due to hit TV screens next year, but the fifth will not be seen until 2010.

Instead, Tennant, will star in three Doctor Who specials, written by Russell T Davies, on BBC One in 2009.

A spokeswoman for Doctor Who said she was unable to comment whether Tennant would return for the 2010 series.

Tennant, 36, will reportedly play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company from July to November next year, but this has not been confirmed by the RSC.

Series four, which went into production in July, will hit UK screens in spring 2008 with a special episode scheduled for Christmas 2008.

Comedian Catherine Tate is set to return to the Tardis for the complete 13-week run, reprising her role as Donna from the 2006 Christmas special.

Actress Freema Agyeman, who won praise for her portrayal of assistant Martha Jones, is also set to return during series four.

BBC Fiction controller Jane Tranter said: "Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas.

"Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010. "

Menna Richards, controller of BBC Wales, said: "This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6976178.stm
    sigpic

Comment

Lemme just check, its 2007 atm?

Fourth Series 2008...
      Gap year 2009,
      Fifth Series 2010.

I don't know whether to be about a fifth season or that there's a sort of gap in 2009.

Looks like its time to start getting the old series' on DVD.
      Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
      LOVE HIM-> DT
      ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Well hey, at least we'll have three specials during the one year gap.
        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Ah well, I suppose it'll give the DW team sometime to stretch thier legs and continue other projects. I wonder if Torchwood will still be airing in 2009?
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

There will be three specials
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

At least they're going to wrap up the season before taking a break (and they're gonna give us goodies while we wait). Not like SOME countries I could mention who take their half-year or more breaks at the midway point.

Comment

I am soooo against this. From what I gather the reason for this is David Tennent does not have the time to film a full 2009 series. Well then he should leave. I have been a great fan of the tenth Doctor but in my opinion it is the character that's important not the Doctor and if the actor is unavailable then they should get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by pbellosom View Post
                  I am soooo against this. From what I gather the reason for this is David Tennent does not have the time to film a full 2009 series. Well then he should leave. I have been a great fan of the tenth Doctor but in my opinion it is the character that's important not the Doctor and if the actor is unavailable then they should get a new one.
                  Be fair, 9 months filming leaves little opportunity for other things, now DT is a wonderful actor and I'd hate to see him typecast as happened to Tom Baker and if he wants to take time out to do other things good luck to him, same with RTD and all the others. A break will stop the show going stale (X Files, SG-1, Atlantis et al) and the actors and writers will come back with fresh ideas and a new determination.

Comment

Actually, I tend to agree. I don't have any real problems with the break, per se, but if it's only for Tennant's benefit, then maybe it's time to find a new Doctor. It's going to happen eventually anyway and if he's starting to get itchy to do other projects then this will only be a stop-gap measure because eventually he's going to get itchy again and leave. Nothing wrong with that, true, and more power to him if so, but I've never been one to believe that producers should go to extremes in order to keep their leads happy. Bend some, yes, but there should be limits.

As for "being fair," how many major shows do you know of which halt production and "take a season off" just to accommodate their lead? The grueling schedule is a given, especially after a couple of years of doing it. Could some shows benefit from taking a year off? Maybe, maybe not, but it still seems a little odd to me.

Comment

And now, let's be fair on a differnet aspect.
                      The BBC gave no reason for the delay. We know that a) there is a delay, and b) David Tennant has got a differnet job for June 2008.
                      We don't know they're connected. It might have well went the other way round - David Tennant found out there was going to be a break and got himself another gig.

Producing DW is a reported nightmare for all people involved - not jsut DT - an dit might very well be they made a decision to stop production for the benefit of the entire team. Also, the original rumour about a year ago or so said that all the producers were planning to leave the show at the end of series 4 - this can be to accomodate RTD, PC and JG, not just DT.

As for shows stopping to accomodate the lead - no. However... not a lot of shows have only one lead. I'm thinking Michael Shanks leaving Stargate cos he's had enough, the show went on and he came back. That's the regular way things work.... however it was only possible because of RDA, AT and CJ.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                        Actually, I tend to agree. I don't have any real problems with the break, per se, but if it's only for Tennant's benefit, then maybe it's time to find a new Doctor. It's going to happen eventually anyway and if he's starting to get itchy to do other projects then this will only be a stop-gap measure because eventually he's going to get itchy again and leave. Nothing wrong with that, true, and more power to him if so, but I've never been one to believe that producers should go to extremes in order to keep their leads happy. Bend some, yes, but there should be limits.
                        From what I can understand, the writers are going to take the opportunity to do other things as well

As for "being fair," how many major shows do you know of which halt production and "take a season off" just to accommodate their lead? The grueling schedule is a given, especially after a couple of years of doing it. Could some shows benefit from taking a year off? Maybe, maybe not, but it still seems a little odd to me.
                        None that I know of, but in hindsight, if shows did take a years break every so ofter, we'd have had an 11th series of SG-1 and and 10th Series of X Files

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                          None that I know of, but in hindsight, if shows did take a years break every so ofter, we'd have had an 11th series of SG-1 and and 10th Series of X Files
                          Huh. Never thought of this like that. But quite true.
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                            From what I can understand, the writers are going to take the opportunity to do other things as well
                            I should certainly hope so. If everyone but Tennant spent the year off sitting around with their thumbs up their arses, that'd be pretty sad. However, I doubt the writers ganged up and said, "Hey! We demand a year off so we can do other stuff!" I'd say they were simply taking advantage of an existing opportunity.

Good gods! And you say that with a traight face? As if these would be good things?! Sorry, but no. I don't think that even a year off could have saved either of those shows. Once the rot has set into the production staff, there's no going back- not in one year and not in five.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Good gods! And you say that with a traight face? As if these would be good things?! Sorry, but no. I don't think that even a year off could have saved either of those shows. Once the rot has set into the production staff, there's no going back- not in one year and not in five.
                              Really? think of it - seaosn 9 was anounced round December, and already started production in march. Had they taken a year off because of RDA, there would have been much more time to conceptualise what they want to do and how to do it - and perhaps retain RDA in it.
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X