This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iris?

I don't watch Stargate Atlantis regularly, in fact the episode I am currently watching is my second. I was wondering, why dosn't Atlantis have an Iris for their gate?
    "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Because it has the forcefield which is superior to the Iris

Comment

They have a shield that does the same job as the iris.
      "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

ah ha. That makes sense. Thanks.
        "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

Guess you didn’t start at the beginning?
          "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

But really why don't Atlatnis have one just in case I mean the shield does use energy which seems to always be a problem also if power goes down then they can still manually shut the gate off
            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            So whats the worst that could happen?
            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
              But really why don't Atlatnis have one just in case I mean the shield does use energy which seems to always be a problem also if power goes down then they can still manually shut the gate off
              Because: the naquadah generators supply enough power for the 'Gate shield and normal day-to-day operations. The ZPM(s) is/are for larger scale things, like the drone launchers and the shield/cloak.

Comment

I'm guessing the Atlantis Iris can draw its energy from an incoming wormhole. Even with no power going to it from Atlantis it would still work.

I know the Ancients are/were impossibly stupid at times but I can't believe that they were stupid enough to make an Iris they couldn't raise if the power was off.

Comment

Probably wouldn't hurt though to have a regular Iris installed. A "just in case" sort of thing. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    Probably wouldn't hurt though to have a regular Iris installed. A "just in case" sort of thing. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
                    EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

Hope for the best Prepare for the worst
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic
                    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

Hope for the best Prepare for the worst
                      It was made by Ancients, plan for the best, hope for the best, and if the worst happens just act like an arrogant ass and run away.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
                        It was made by Ancients, plan for the best, hope for the best, and if the worst happens just act like an arrogant ass and run away.

Ancinet tech is over 1000 years old so I would have a back up just in case. Plus we have seen time after time that Ancinet tech isn't that dependable
                        A Face you Can Trust
                        sigpic

Comment

Ancinet tech is over 1000 years old so I would have a back up just in case. Plus we have seen time after time that Ancinet tech isn't that dependable
                          I know. I was commenting on why the Ancients never bothered with a manual Iris. And on their shocking lack of competence in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
                            I know. I was commenting on why the Ancients never bothered with a manual Iris. And on their shocking lack of competence in general.
                            You see according to the rules of stargate the better tech you have the less common sense you have

Therefore the Ancinets having the best tech have no common sense at all
                            A Face you Can Trust
                            sigpic

Comment

Nothing about the Atlantis Gate is superior.

For starters, it doesn't spin.

And spinning is so much cooler than not spinning.

Comment

Working...
                              X