This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaffa Staff weapons

Whilst they are not the most accurate weapon, they do pack a punch. I think in a fire fight with the wraith, with a line of marines letting loose with them, they would do a lot of damage. We saw an example of that in an SG1 episode where these warrior women devestated a jaffa squad (and knocked down a few trees as well) with this sort of fire power. I am surprised they don't use them more on Atlantis, is there any reason why? Also the big staff weapon canons would be quite affective against darts, and as an artillary type stratagey.

the main reason is that TPTB wanted to keep SG-1 and Atlantis seperate. The staff weapon is a Jaffa weapon and the only SG team member to use one on a regular basis is Teal'c. If any weapon were to be carried over from SG-1 to Atlantis its the Zat gun, it has almost become a piece of the standard SG team kit.

Comment

The fact that the staff weapons are so very powerful (knocking down trees and the like) is another reason to keep them out of Atlantis, it would make the expedition too powerful if they are able to defeat the Wraith too easily, which in turn would make the Ancients look even weaker than they do already.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        The fact that the staff weapons are so very powerful (knocking down trees and the like) is another reason to keep them out of Atlantis, it would make the expedition too powerful if they are able to defeat the Wraith too easily, which in turn would make the Ancients look even weaker than they do already.
        That is an interesting if not questionable point. I thought one of the major reason of the SGC and Atantis expedition is to acquire new technolgy and weaponery, to give humanity an edge or ability to fight those mean aliens out there. I don't think the staff weapon would be a definitive factor in winning the war against the wraith, but it would certainly help.

The ancients, well that's another question all together.

Comment

When they were first introduced the Wraith could withstand a full P90 clip being fired into them and regenerate. Now they seem to be as easy to kill as the Jaffa, and are no better marksmen than the Jaffa. A line of marines firing staffs, which are much more powerful than P90s would easily defeat a legion of Wraith, especially if there were as many marines as there were Jaffa warrior women in 'Birthright'. The Wraith would still be a threat in ships though...

Comment

When they were first introduced the Wraith could withstand a full P90 clip being fired into them and regenerate. Now they seem to be as easy to kill as the Jaffa, and are no better marksmen than the Jaffa. A line of marines firing staffs, which are much more powerful than P90s would easily defeat a legion of Wraith, especially if there were as many marines as there were Jaffa warrior women in 'Birthright'. The Wraith would still be a threat in ships though...
            You're right, I've seen a wraith go down with as little as 3 or 4 hits from a P90
            Is that an oversight by the writers/directors, or has there been some change in thinking? It is rather inconsistent.

How would the staff weapons work against the asurians thought, we know zat's don't work, but a staff firing rapidly might tear them apart. I don't know, I just think staff weapons generate a big punch with lots of heat and energy as well.

Comment

if the asurans are anything like the milky way replicators then the staffs will have little effect on them. they are able to absorb energy, perhaps to fuel their power cells (or the asuran equivalent) or maybe being metal (if they are metal like MW replicators) the energy is passed straight through them into the ground.

The heat could effect the asurans, maybe melt some of the 'cells' but how much effect it would have depends on how fast they are able to regenerate.

Comment

if the asurans are anything like the milky way replicators then the staffs will have little effect on them. they are able to absorb energy, perhaps to fuel their power cells (or the asuran equivalent) or maybe being metal (if they are metal like MW replicators) the energy is passed straight through them into the ground.

The heat could effect the asurans, maybe melt some of the 'cells' but how much effect it would have depends on how fast they are able to regenerate.
                The thing is staff weapons create a lot of kinetic enery, as well as heat. The asurans might deal with heat, but as you say if they are fired rapidly enough the kinetic aspect of the weapon might tear them up. Certainly could inflict a bit of damage.

Comment

or being made up of millions of microscopic replicators blocks they could move the blocks in the staffs firing path out of the way and allow it to pass straight through them. All depends on how fast they are able to react though. As soon as the staff blast hits the Asuran (in the chest for example) it could be possible for them to move the 'cells' in their back out of the line of fire and minimise the damage.

I doubt they would be thrown backwards though, Newtons third law states that any action has an equal and opposite reaction, for the Asuran to be thrown backwards, the same would have to happen to whoever is firing the staff. I think most of the energy from a staff is heat, but then the Asurans are made of blocks...depending on how well 'stuck together' they are, the staff may be able to pass on some of its kinetic energy into the individual blocks, not enough to force the whole backwards but the blocks are microscopic... the Asuran would definately lose some blocks to the kinetic force of the staff blast (if you can follow my rambling logic) regenerating its entire form after each shot, with fewer blocks would make the Asuran smaller, or less densely packed with cells as there are less each time to regenerate the whole.

How many blocks can an Asuran afford to lose before it loses the ability to maintain human form?

Comment

or being made up of millions of microscopic replicators blocks they could move the blocks in the staffs firing path out of the way and allow it to pass straight through them. All depends on how fast they are able to react though. As soon as the staff blast hits the Asuran (in the chest for example) it could be possible for them to move the 'cells' in their back out of the line of fire and minimise the damage.

I doubt they would be thrown backwards though, Newtons third law states that any action has an equal and opposite reaction, for the Asuran to be thrown backwards, the same would have to happen to whoever is firing the staff. I think most of the energy from a staff is heat, but then the Asurans are made of blocks...depending on how well 'stuck together' they are, the staff may be able to pass on some of its kinetic energy into the individual blocks, not enough to force the whole backwards but the blocks are microscopic... the Asuran would definately lose some blocks to the kinetic force of the staff blast (if you can follow my rambling logic) regenerating its entire form after each shot, with fewer blocks would make the Asuran smaller, or less densely packed with cells as there are less each time to regenerate the whole.

How many blocks can an Asuran afford to lose before it loses the ability to maintain human form?
                    OK thats good logic, so the way to do it would be to have staff fire from 360 degrees, surely it couldn't get out of the way from all of them, and wouldn't have enough time to regenerate quick enough.

The problem with replicators is that it really only needs one block to survive and it would be able to replicate. I think you would have to destroy all the blocks.

Comment

The Ancients may have been the greatest & most advanced race to ever inhabit the stars (to qoute ); but they weren't very good at innovating or thinking too far outside the box - like most advanced races, when they reached a certain point; they tended to relie on their technological superiority & prowess to protect/help them, only persuing new options & avenues when the olds ones failed; conten in their supriority, knowledge of the universe/science & their basic faith in the common dignity & wholesome goodness of others (remeber they intially wanted to make peaceful contact with the Wraith) .

As for Jaffa Staff weapons carving up chunkes of meaty white Wraith flesh, what can i say but BRING IT ON!

Comment

Originally posted by akren View Post
                        The Ancients may have been the greatest & most advanced race to ever inhabit the stars (to qoute ); but they weren't very good at innovating or thinking too far outside the box - like most advanced races, when they reached a certain point; they tended to relie on their technological superiority & prowess to protect/help them, only persuing new options & avenues when the olds ones failed; conten in their supriority, knowledge of the universe/science & their basic faith in the common dignity & wholesome goodness of others (remeber they intially wanted to make peaceful contact with the Wraith) .

As for Jaffa Staff weapons carving up chunkes of meaty white Wraith flesh, what can i say but BRING IT ON!
                        I've always liked staff weapons, I think they are a very handy unit. I think the wraith would get one hell of surprise when they get hit by one or two of those blasts. We should arm all the people in the pegasus galaxy with staff weapons, if the wraith are going to wipe them out they might as well go down fighting.

Comment

Staff weapons are always inconsistent, so a Wraith could easily take 3-4 shots and not flinch. There effectiveness seems to depend on the storyline

Comment

Sometimes energy weapons are better than projectile weapons, and sometimes vice versa. The smart thing to do would be to arm all teams with a mix of both. Gouald weapons are oddly absent in SG atlantis.

Edit: I rewatched the original Stargate movie yesterday. The staff weapons in it had a noticable amount of recoil, suggesting the blast has kinetic energy.

Comment

Originally posted by First View Post
                              Sometimes energy weapons are better than projectile weapons, and sometimes vice versa. The smart thing to do would be to arm all teams with a mix of both. Gouald weapons are oddly absent in SG atlantis.

Edit: I rewatched the original Stargate movie yesterday. The staff weapons in it had a noticable amount of recoil, suggesting the blast has kinetic energy.
                              i keep saying they need to build some sort of multiweapon, with projectiles and energy blasts, (stun and kill) i'm sure we've had zats and staffs long enough to backwards engineer thyem or atleast retrofit them onto a p90
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X