• Time
  • Show
Clear All

UGO's top 50 tv shows of all time

Number 1 Buffy ???

2 Wire

3 BSG

Babylon-5 rated last
    No mention of Stargate, TOS Trek, Farscape.....but they did include Jackass and BeavisNButthead

I guess UGO just jumped the shark ?

You know, just because you don't like it, doesn't make it annoyingly repetitive posting the same god damned picture at every opportunity. By the way, thanks for the link. /sarcasm

Here's the rest of the list, for everyone else:

50. Babylon 5
    49. Planet Earth
    48. Tales from the Crypt
    47. Alias
    46. Dungeons & Dragons
    45. Xena: Warrior Princess
    44. Miami Vice
    43. Mystery Science Theatre 3000
    42. Mr. Show
    41. Seinfeld
    40. Saturday Night Live
    39. Quantum Leap
    38. 24
    37. Lost
    36. The Colbert Report
    35. Pee Wee's Playhouse
    34. Cowboy Bebop
    33. The Shield
    32. Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
    31. Animaniacs
    30. Super Friends
    29. Saved By The Bell
    28. Transformers
    27. Chappelle's Show
    26. Doctor Who
    25. The Twilight Zone
    24. Ren & Stimpy
    23. Beavis & Butthead
    22. NewsRadio
    21. Twin Peaks
    20. The Brady Bunch
    19. The Adventures of Pete & Pete
    18. Jackass
    17. Family Guy
    16. Batman: The Animated Series
    15. Star Trek: The Next Generation
    14. The Office
    13. The X-Files
    12. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies
    11. Firefly

10. The Price Is Right
    9. South Park
    8. The Simpsons
    7. Freaks & Geeks
    6. The Muppet Show
    5. Arrested Development
    4. The Sopranos
    3. Battlestar Galactica (2003)
    2. The Wire
    1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Link

Personally, I think having South Park and Buffy anywhere near a top shows list is absurd, but then I didn't make the list, did I?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

That list is so random, lol.

That pic is of the Buffy movie, not the show. It's kind of odd that Buffy made #1, and Angel didn't even place....

Personally, I think 8 of the top 10 were better written than SG-1. If SG-1 was ratted on the Jack & Daniel seasons alone we'd have more of an argument for it to be on there, but S9 was just abysmal.

I don't think South Park deserves its ranking, and I've never seen the Wire. The list looks good to me overall.
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
        That list is so random, lol.

Personally, I think 8 of the top 10 were better written than SG-1. If SG-1 was ratted on the Jack & Daniel seasons alone we'd have more of an argument for it to be on there, but S9 was just abysmal.
        S9 might have been poor, but most of those tv shows on that list took a lot less than nine seasons before they went bad. A lot of those shows jump the shark right out of the gate. Stargate on the other hand has been perhaps the best and longest running shows on tv & spawned successful spinoff shows like Atlantis, spin off books, video games, dvd movies....

Comment

UGO? Never even heard of that site. Though they do have halfway decent taste with their ranking of BtVS...great show...Joss Whedon is a master at his craft.

While I'd rank Stargate SG-1 in the top 50, I wouldn't rank it in my top 10.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by CaldwellForce View Post
            S9 might have been poor, but most of those tv shows on that list took a lot less than nine seasons before they went bad. A lot of those shows jump the shark right out of the gate. Stargate on the other hand has been perhaps the best and longest running shows on tv & spawned successful spinoff shows like Atlantis, spin off books, video games, dvd movies....
            Books.... yeah, oookay.....

Atlantis can't be considered successful until it hits 100eps. (syndication #s). Until the DVD Movies are released, I'd hold off on calling them successful... And the first video game was a costly debacle, and the second one is still being made...

The fact that SG-1 dragged its feet into the grave really hurt its credibility. The fact that Seasons 8-10 didn't even have read-throughs really hurt its credibility. The fact that SG-1 continued 2 seasons without its star really hurt its credibility.
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

I can't believe PeeWee's Playhouse actually made that list.

What were they--um--inhaling--when they made that list up?

How could they miss Sesame Street or Mr. Rodgers?
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

ok um Xena?

The Brady Bunch?

gah so many bad shows on that list

Comment

That's certainly an interesting list.....*blink*
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                  My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Jackass? Wtf? A bunch of stupid white men, being, well, being stupid white men? lmao

Hmmm, SG-1 definitely should have been on the list...firstly cos its a great show and secondly, its like the longest running SF series.

But, anyways, its just UGO, not like its guiness or something

And what is with everyone bagging S8? I though it was brilliant...to tell the truth, the could have ended it then and it would have been perfect. Now S9, thats a different story, I liked it bt it definitely was not up to SG usual caliber
                    sigpic

Comment

That's not a bad list- I don't like everything on there, but I do like that they went for a good representation from all genres.

Buffy number one? I think it has some of the best writing ever seen on television. Good pick. And using a pic from the non-canon pre-show movie that actually has very little to do with the show does nothing to endear your point X-3-0-2. Not to mention that it is a show with staying power that will endure the test of time- the story has even been revived in canon comics that are flying off the shelves several years after the show's conclusion!

The Wire number two? I won't argue with it. I haven't actually seen it, but the clips I've seen look pretty interesting and the enthusiasm over it from those whose opinions I intend to agree with is encouraging.

BSG number three? Yup. It most certainly deserves to be there. And again, it's a show that is going to live and continue to be discovered, and re-discovered for a long time to come. Ratings, etc. they don't matter in the long run, this is a show that is going to keep finding an audience long after it's finished airing- and that is the true measure of the success of a show.

As for the Star Trek representation, exchange TNG for DS9. TNG may be more high-profile, but DS9 is the better show any day of the week- and will endure the test of time much better than TNG.

I'd like to see SG-1 on there, but my only qulam is that it's not likely to expand its audience now that it's over. It's not likely to be a show that will steadily find a new audience over time, which is why I wouldn't put it (and few of the other shows listed) on the top half of the list. When you're choosing the best shows of all time, you want to pick stuff that is going to last and be constantly re-discovered- which is why I like that Buffy and BSG made the top three. And I'd put Babylon 5 on the top half of the list- while I haven't actually seen it (I'm dying to), it is the kind of show that seems to be continually discovered by new viewers long after it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by Zatarc View Post
                        And what is with everyone bagging S8? I though it was brilliant...to tell the truth, the could have ended it then and it would have been perfect. Now S9, thats a different story, I liked it bt it definitely was not up to SG usual caliber
                        I thought season eight was pretty miserable for the most part and season nine was a vast improvement; certainly a breath of fresh air after a season that recycled a lot of overused and stagnant ideas.

Comment

Overall, I think that a cow could have pooped out a better list than that. Although I have no problem with Buffy being number 1 (I put it third).

Comment

funny and silly
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

List like that are why we have so much bad tv. :shrug:
                              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                              Individuality is freedom lived.
                              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Working...
                              X