This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows xp start menu help

I have windows xp sp2. I want to swich my computers start menu to the xp menu but when i go to the properties for the start menu there is only classic menu. If anyone knows how to fix it so i could get the xp menu plese post it.
    sigpic

Originally posted by !!?? View Post
    I have windows xp sp2. I want to swich my computers start menu to the xp menu but when i go to the properties for the start menu there is only classic menu. If anyone knows how to fix it so i could get the xp menu plese post it.
    OK small question, what view do you have running now? (IE Classic view or XP view?) if the latter....

Is you Start Menu one column(with all the folders on one row?) or is it two columns with the Contrrol Panel, My Computer, and My Docs on the right side?

if the ;latter I think you are OK, if the former....greg

go down to the start BAR not the button, right click, properties, Star Menu, two choices are shown, so, good luck and I hope this helps!

~Teyilia
    Last edited by Skydiver; 01 May 2010, 11:28 AM.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Teyilia View Post
      OK small question, what view do you have running now? (IE Classic view or XP view?) if the latter....

Is you Start Menu one column(with all the folders on one row?) or is it two columns with the Contrrol Panel, My Computer, and My Docs on the right side?

if the ;latter I think you are OK, if the former....

go down to the start BAR not the button, right click, properties, Star Menu, two choices are shown, so, good luck and I hope this helps!

~Teyilia
      It was in classic mode but i switched it yesterday. I only have one column. I tried using properties but there is only a classic mode option. There isnt a xp mode start menu option.
      sigpic

Comment

OK, what properties are you using? The one with the screensaver opitions on it or the one you get by right clicking on the gray bar at the bottom of the screen?

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

OK, what properties are you using? The one with the screensaver opitions on it or the one you get by right clicking on the gray bar at the bottom of the screen?
          Im using the one that you get from left clicking the start button or taskbar/start menu properties.
          sigpic

Comment

I see, now, go to anywhere on the screen and right click and click properties, then click, Appearance, there is a drop down menu there for the actual XP/Classic looks, pwerhaps that needed to be set to XP. Then you will be able to set the start menu the way you want.

Comment

I see, now, go to anywhere on the screen and right click and click properties, then click, Appearance, there is a drop down menu there for the actual XP/Classic looks, pwerhaps that needed to be set to XP. Then you will be able to set the start menu the way you want.
              I already had it to xp. I tried it again and it didnt work. If this helps yesterday when i was switching the mode to xp the xp wasnt there but i left clicked on my computer then picked manage then service and aplications then service then themes and switched them to automatic to get that to work. I tried doing that again but it doesnt work for the start menu.
              sigpic

Comment

I already had it to xp. I tried it again and it didnt work. If this helps yesterday when i was switching the mode to xp the xp wasnt there but i left clicked on my computer then picked manage then service and aplications then service then themes and switched them to automatic to get that to work. I tried doing that again but it doesnt work for the start menu.
                my computer>manage>service and aplications>service>themes>automatic
                sigpic

Comment

Does anyone else know what i can do to get the choice of windows xp start menu
                  sigpic

Comment

my computer>manage>service and aplications>service>themes>automatic
                    OK what operating system do you have? Because I can't get that at all, that string there when I do it shows the following. "Fatal Error my comp>>manage>>Service&Apps>>Service>>Themes>>Auto does not exsist, be sure to type in the corect path and file name"

Are you sure you are using XP? I use XPPro and XP and neither machine can get that command string

Comment

OK what operating system do you have? Because I can't get that at all, that string there when I do it shows the following. "Fatal Error my comp>>manage>>Service&Apps>>Service>>Themes>>Auto does not exsist, be sure to type in the corect path and file name"

Are you sure you are using XP? I use XPPro and XP and neither machine can get that command string
                      Im sure i have xp. The arrows were just to simplify what to do.
                      sigpic

Comment

This might seem a silly answer but have you rebooted your computer since you change to the XP style menu. I'd let the computer shut all the way down. Wait 2 minutes, then restart.
                        (well, what I'd really like to say is go back to the Classic style - you loose some functionality with the XP style. All part of Microsofts dumbing down of the systems - lets not show them what they can do then they won't miss it )
                        sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                          This might seem a silly answer but have you rebooted your computer since you change to the XP style menu. I'd let the computer shut all the way down. Wait 2 minutes, then restart.
                          (well, what I'd really like to say is go back to the Classic style - you loose some functionality with the XP style. All part of Microsofts dumbing down of the systems - lets not show them what they can do then they won't miss it )
                          Yes i have rebooted it. The only reason i want the xp style start menu is so i could get to my computer and other programs faster.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X