This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DW non-romance fanfic recs

Since worthwhile non-romance Doctor Who fanfic is so hard to find, I thought I'd start a rec thread.

Ground rules:

1) Only recommend fanfics written by other people. (If you want to recommend your own fic, start a "Promote your DW fic here!" thread.)

2) If it is a romance, don't list it here. (If you want to recommend a romance, start a DW romance fanfic recs thread.) This shouldn't be too hard: If it's clearly a romance, don't recommend it here. If it has some bits that could be considered romantic but which aren't a focus of the story, it's okay to list it here. If it's sexual humor but doesn't include romantic thoughts, it's okay to list it here (with appropriate warnings, of course). If in doubt, warn people.

3) Give title and author. Say who stars in the fanfic (e.g. Three and Sarah. Rani and other character. Jackie Tyler.). Ideally give some sense of what sort of fic it is so people will have some clue whether they want to check it out.

4) If you link directly to the story text, PLEASE warn of spoilers. (e.g. Spoilers for end of season 3/29. Spoilers for Utopia. Spoilers for The Sarah Jane Adventures.)

Here are some to start:

Settling an Old Score by drox. Any Doctor, any Master. Humor drabble.

Where Ever I May Roam by Irena K. Martha, Ten, Jack. When she left, Martha gave her phone to the Doctor. Humor short. The character voices are excellent.

A Shift in Reality by Kesomon. Surprise character. The cosmos without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about. Drama short. This would be such a great wrinkle.

A Whole Child Ago by Netgirl1. new series Sarah, Ten. Short. Not much actually happens, and it references a TV show I've never seen, but it's rare to find a pleasant Sarah fic.

Hm, I have a definite fondness for Netgirl1's (FanFiction.Net) gen stories, both humor and drama.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Quadruple Digits by Mauve Alert. ultimately Eight. Short. Ever wonder what it must have been like being the Doctor's father?
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

The Monster in the Dark by Nemo the Everbeing. Ace, Seven, Master. "Ace put off dealing with the cheetah virus until it was almost too late. The Doctor must enlist some unconventional and unwanted help to pull her through." Novel in 12 chapters. Basically character studies with a plot, and some rather remarkable convergence considering the new series 3's developments began more than three months after this fic was published.
      Wordsmit2

Comment

Retirement of the Daleks by Order of Chaos. Other character. Very short.

The Slow Path, or Two and a Half Centuries in Two and a Half Days by Amy Wolf. Ten, Rose, Mickey. AU from "The Girl in the Fireplace". The Doctor and Rose and Mickey find their ways back to each other. Many excellent comments on the trials of messing with history. Even if you don't care much for the first chapter, you may like the rest.
        Wordsmit2

Comment

For those who like dark but not dreary, here are three shellshock!Nine pre-Rose fics. I suggest you space them out, as such fics seem to be rare.

Full Circle by Mauve Alert. Nine&Susan. Vignette. "Here they are, after the end of the world, right back where they began so many centuries ago."

Psycho Savior, qu'est-ce que c'est? by kalima. other&Nine. Wow--dark, creepy and a bit gross, but not sadistic like a lot of dark!fics are.

Castaways by Amy Wolf. others&Nine. Of interest mainly to readers who like shellshock!Nine stories, but also of note as one of the very rare stories that takes place on Earth somewhere other than Britain, France, or the U.S.
          Last edited by Wordsmit2; 21 September 2007, 10:15 PM.
          Wordsmit2

Comment

These were written with Seven in mind, but they're about the Doctor in general.

If I Pour Your Cup by merripestin. What is conversation like from a Time Lord's point of view? Very short.

"Yeah, I know what an allegory is," said Ace. by merripestin. There once was a man who married goldfish. Very short.
            Wordsmit2

Comment

Working...
            X