Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Torchwood[Australia] (Questions/Discussions/Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Torchwood[Australia] (Questions/Discussions/Spoilers)

Like many people out there, I happen to have stumbled across to the new series Torchwood that aired a few weeks back in Australia and immediately got hooked!! Also smitten with the gorgeous Capt. Jack Harkness! Thunk!

However, I'm very new to the whole Dr. Who phenomenon and it's spin off Torchwood, and thought I'd start this thread, and separate it from the topic of those who asks questions about Dr. Who if you're new to that show and just now currently got hooked into it. ("What the Heck is Dr. Who? I keep Hearing about Dr. Who" thread)

From what I've read so far, and I know there is so much out there to read, but like many (or maybe few, or just me ) who don't have a whole lot of time to sift through it all, I have some questions that may seem silly to all seasoned Dr. Who/Torchwood fans...but here goes....

* What is Torchwood? Is it suppose to be like an underground base (like the show) and are there many of them? I noticed that they briefly mention in one of the eps, I think it was "Cyberwoman" that there was more than one Torchwood. Are the other Torchwood bases still operational and where are they?

* How did Capt. Jack Harkness get involve with Torchwood? How did he form the current team of Tosh, Owen, Ianto, currently deceased-Suzie before Gwen came along? Were they already part of a different Torchwood team?

* Who is and what is Capt. Jack Harkness? Is he human or alien? Where did he come from? Why can't he die? Why is it that it portrays him as having been in different eras of history in Torchwood?

* I realise that Jack started out in the new Dr. Who 2005 series, but I have yet delved into that side of things yet. All I've read and know so far is that he was with the Dr. Who and Rose, got separated, should have died but got revived and now can't die, ended up in Torchwood, now trying to find the Doctor to find out a few answers for himself. Is that right so far?

The show has only been going on for a few weeks in Australia and we are only halfway there with the next episode airing tonight at an ungodly hour of 12:00am (midnight Tuesday), but at least ch10 hasn't completely taken it off the air.

Well, that's it for the moment and it would also be great if the mods could possibly consider this thread as a "Sticky" as I'm sure there are many out there like me who are new to the whole Torchwood show who have questions like me. Much appreciated, with gratitude and thanks....Celestial .
    Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
    and Captain Jack Harkness
    Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
    Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
    Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
    I live here.....Calling All Australians?
    My other home...Stargate Down Under
    My Life on LiveJournal

Originally posted by Celestial
    * What is Torchwood? Is it suppose to be like an underground base (like the show) and are there many of them? I noticed that they briefly mention in one of the eps, I think it was "Cyberwoman" that there was more than one Torchwood. Are the other Torchwood bases still operational and where are they?
    The Torchwood Institute was set up by Queen Victoria (in a Doctor Who episode, "Tooth and Claw") to combat alien threats to Britain, and use alien technology to try and rebuild the British Empire. Torchwood owns several facilities for various things, but has four main bases:
    Torchwood One, in London, which was closed following the Doctor Who two-parter "Army of Ghosts/Doomsday"
    Torchwood Two, in Glasgow
    Torchwood Three, in Cardiff, which Jack runs
    Torchwood Four, which is "missing" - nothing else is known

* How did Capt. Jack Harkness get involve with Torchwood? How did he form the current team of Tosh, Owen, Ianto, currently deceased-Suzie before Gwen came along? Were they already part of a different Torchwood team?
    I don't think any back-story has been given as to how Owen, etc. ended up as part of Torchwood.

* Who is and what is Capt. Jack Harkness? Is he human or alien? Where did he come from?
    * I realise that Jack started out in the new Dr. Who 2005 series, but I have yet delved into that side of things yet. All I've read and know so far is that he was with the Dr. Who and Rose, got separated, should have died but got revived and now can't die, ended up in Torchwood, now trying to find the Doctor to find out a few answers for himself. Is that right so far?
    Jack is human, from the 51st Century. He was a Time Agent (we don't really know much about what they do), then a con artist, then met the Ninth Doctor and Rose in "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances".

Why can't he die? Why is it that it portrays him as having been in different eras of history in Torchwood?
    During season one of Torchwood, all of this is pretty much a mystery. It gets explained in the Doctor Who three-parter "Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords", which is set after season one of Torchwood.

I'd recommend that you wait until after Torchwood, then either watch that, or find out some other way.

If you really want to know, now, though...
    Spoiler:
    Seriously, wait!
    Spoiler:
    Jack was killed by the Daleks in the future, in "Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways", then revived by Rose, who had absorbed the power of the Time Vortex. She couldn't control it, though, so Jack ended up being immortal - the Doctor describes him as a "fact", a fixed, unchanging point in space and time.
    He still had his time-travel device from when he was a Time Agent, so tried to get back to the present day. He ended up in the late 1800s, though, as the device broke. As you said, he wanted answers, so he worked himself into a position to be able to contact the Doctor - the Doctor sometimes uses the Rift in Cardiff to "refuel" the TARDIS.

Comment

Thank you so very much Naonak.

Your answers shed very bright lights on my questions.

And you're right....I think I will wait after Torchwood S1 and move on along to Dr. Who and find out the answers about Jack then. The suspense is gonna kill me, maybe, but I think it'll probably be worth it.
      My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial View Post
        Thank you so very much Naonak.

Your answers shed very bright lights on my questions.

And you're right....I think I will wait after Torchwood S1 and move on along to Dr. Who and find out the answers about Jack then. The suspense is gonna kill me, maybe, but I think it'll probably be worth it.
        Well, look at it that way - Torchwood was meant to be able to be watched even if you have never watched Doctor Who, so none of these questions are important for you to understadn the story (although the answers do help)
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

The show has only been going on for a few weeks in Australia and we are only halfway there with the next episode airing tonight at an ungodly hour of 12:00am (midnight Tuesday), but at least ch10 hasn't completely taken it off the air.
          Ah, I wondered what happened to it, and why I was watching repeats of Law & Order instead of Torchwood. Dam and Channel 10 have the rights to series two as well... I knew The ABC should have snatched it up. I never watched BSG but that was treated as badly by 10, and don't start me on Buffy/Angel.
          Well, that's it for the moment and it would also be great if the mods could possibly consider this thread as a "Sticky" as I'm sure there are many out there like me who are new to the whole Torchwood show who have questions like me. Much appreciated, with gratitude and thanks....Celestial .
          Hmm, I doubt it needs to be a sticky we need to get episodes thread/s imho before bothering with another sticky thread for Torchwood.

Comment

At first when I heard the Ten had picked up Torchwood I thought "oh god no" but then they did all that promotion... All the build up ads "Captain Jack is back...", the posters everywhere even on the telephone boxes!, and even getting Eve and John... and I swear I saw Naoko on once once... in the channel promo's (the "I believe" ones) and I thought "ok, maybe this wont go to badly" but there was always that little thing in the back of my mind thinking that it would go the same way as Channel 7 and Stargate.

Hopefully though ABC will pick up season 2 of Torchwood!

awesome sig by Camy!
            Sheppard/Teyla LiveJournal

Comment

Willow'sCat!! how nice to see you on this thread. Been meaning to PM you and will send one soon about Dr. Who and even perhaps Torchwood since IMHO you are an expert on these subjects and when you're in a nice mood (not! - kidding you're always in a nice mood! ) you may even grace me with your answers.

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
              Ah, I wondered what happened to it, and why I was watching repeats of Law & Order instead of Torchwood. Dam and Channel 10 have the rights to series two as well... I knew The ABC should have snatched it up. I never watched BSG but that was treated as badly by 10, and don't start me on Buffy/Angel.
              Oh great! why can't Ch2 have taken the rights to this show?! Probably don't have enough money! Oh well, just hope they don't treat is as badly as the other shows like the ones you mentioned, especially Buffy/Angel. So have you seen the whole series yet?

Hmm, I doubt it needs to be a sticky we need to get episodes thread/s imho before bothering with another sticky thread for Torchwood.
              Thanks for your vote of confidence!!
              My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Celede View Post
                At first when I heard the Ten had picked up Torchwood I thought "oh god no" but then they did all that promotion... All the build up ads "Captain Jack is back...", the posters everywhere even on the telephone boxes!, and even getting Eve and John... and I swear I saw Naoko on once once... in the channel promo's (the "I believe" ones) and I thought "ok, maybe this wont go to badly" but there was always that little thing in the back of my mind thinking that it would go the same way as Channel 7 and Stargate.

Hopefully though ABC will pick up season 2 of Torchwood!
                No such luck from what Willow'sCat said, it looks like Ch10 has the rights to S2. I 'm dreading to find out at what ungodly hour they will show S2 and when, but I guess it couldn't be worse than Tuesday midnight! Then again I could be wrong!
                My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Ok, I've got a quick question for anyone out there willing to answer it....

I just watched the episode "Capt. Jack Harkness" and it was a very good one...thumbs up all the way!

But does anyone know if Capt. Jack Harkness (Aka Capt. James Harper) has a real name?

And please don't crucify me for not trawling so many threads and possibly being spoilered when I'm trying very hard not to be just to find out this answer. Thank you.
                  My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

We haven't heard what 'Jack' was called before he took someone else's name.

Madeleine

Comment

Willow'sCat!! how nice to see you on this thread. Been meaning to PM you and will send one soon about Dr. Who and even perhaps Torchwood since IMHO you are an expert on these subjects and when you're in a nice mood
                      I should have read this thread before I replied to your PM *is insulted* and touched all at once.

Thanks for your vote of confidence!!
                      Now be fair we do have a sticky for discussion of Torchwood eps, but since you seem persistent on staying in here.

As Madeleine said, we don't know, Torchwood did imho more to confuse us about Torchwood the institution, and Capt Jack, then explain things.

We get a little bit of info in Doctor Who on both Torchwood and Capt Jack but really what we know, what we could call fact you could almost write on the back of a postcard... a small postcard. And it gets worse as the time-lines in Torchwood seem a little off, and we still have no idea what happened to Jack's missing two years.

See you are just as up-to-date as the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                        I should have read this thread before I replied to your PM *is insulted* and touched all at once.
                        You get insulted!!!.....never!!! But you are imho an expert....on many things and subjects too!!

Now be fair we do have a sticky for discussion of Torchwood eps, but since you seem persistent on staying in here.
                        I guess this is your way of hinting me to jump across to the Torchwood Thread, huh? Oh ok, but will everyone be as nice as you are?

As Madeleine said, we don't know, Torchwood did imho more to confuse us about Torchwood the institution, and Capt Jack, then explain things.

We get a little bit of info in Doctor Who on both Torchwood and Capt Jack but really what we know, what we could call fact you could almost write on the back of a postcard... a small postcard. And it gets worse as the time-lines in Torchwood seem a little off, and we still have no idea what happened to Jack's missing two years.

See you are just as up-to-date as the rest of us.
                        Great!! At least I don't feel as left behind regarding Torchwood.

Now if only I can catch up with the rest of you on the subject of Dr. Who, I'll be happy as Larry (whoever Larry is)
                        My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                        X