This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Siskel & Ebert" Stargate review

In the last few days I've discovered that Buena Vista has put several dozen buttloads' worth of "Ebert & Roeper" and "Siskel & Ebert" reviews online: http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/bue...bertandroeper/

On a whim I searched for Stargate and there it was: their original review of the movie. It's an interesting trip through time back to 1994 when the movie was new: http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/bue...ubsec=Stargate

I like Ebert's "Boy, they must've had some great lunches!"

Nice Find!

Lol, it sounds like the current ptbs really took that interview to heart. Siskel & Ebert's "this is what Stargate SHOULD Be" sounds like the summary for Stargate: Atlantis.

Though I can only imagine what Ebert would say about casting a lady that looks young enough to get carded for a rated-R Movie as the greatest/most renowned doctor on Earth. Not to mention Wier's character development....
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Wow.

What dildos.

Comment

Wow! Jerks!

You know, I really hate most film critics, because they don't rate the film as a whole. They rate just the writing. That's it. Sometimes the acting. They don't even care about cinematography or editing, which are art forms in and of themselves lol. Idiots.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

morons
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

thanks for posting this
            Theses guys whoever they are are idiots
            Jackson explains how he going to get home when he says he can get home (if you get what i mean)
            BEST FILM ever they dont what there talking about
            sigpic
            Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
            Metal gear fan

Comment

Okay, I'm gonna be the badguy... I agree with them. I hated the original movie, to be honest. It was filled with cliches, I didn't really buy Kurt Russel as Jack O'Neil, and Ra just seemed... Not really tough.

However, I find it funny that they said "Ra changed into human form", when all he really did was lower his mask lol.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                Okay, I'm gonna be the badguy... I agree with them. I hated the original movie, to be honest. It was filled with cliches, I didn't really buy Kurt Russel as Jack O'Neil, and Ra just seemed... Not really tough.

However, I find it funny that they said "Ra changed into human form", when all he really did was lower his mask lol.
                Well I didn't love the movie either, but I don't think Ra was supposed to be "tough," even in the series, the Goa'uld aren't portrayed as tough as much as sinister.

The Jack O'Neil character had to be depressed and suicidal for the plot. As for the cliches, well any production of any genre has a good few.
                sigpic
                "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                  Well I didn't love the movie either, but I don't think Ra was supposed to be "tough," even in the series, the Goa'uld aren't portrayed as tough as much as sinister.

The Jack O'Neil character had to be depressed and suicidal for the plot. As for the cliches, well any production of any genre has a good few.
                  I meant "evil and menacing" by tough lol. As in "tough to face", not tough like a thug. I just didn't find Ra all that frightening, really. He and his, what, two Jaffa just weren't a threat in my eyes.

And I know O'Neil is supposed to be that way, I just didn't like Kurt Russel's portrayal as the team leader. Even before I watched SG-1, I just didn't like the character. Part of what turned me onto SG-1 was how much more I liked RDA's version (I know, the two characters are different, but still).

But I'll give you the cliches, most mobies go have quite a few.
                  Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                  Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Those guys are tools, anyway. I never agree with them. Totally disregard everything they say, along with all other critics.
                    Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
                    http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

Critics sure love to denigrate science fiction, don't they? I've always thought the movie was good, but it could have been so much better- given the brilliant premise. I think Stargate SG-1 was so much better than the movie. Great idea, great series.
                      sigpic

Comment

Cliches can't ruin a movie. Cliches are part of writing, and writing is one of about a thousand aspects of a film.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

I knew beforehand that neither had like this movie, but having not seen this I did not realize how much they despised this movie. Gene Siskel I am not surprised, he always never understood any movies that were geared for younger audiences as well as Roger Ebert. In fact I found that he would be more positive the more the movie was generic. Ebert on the other hand, well hell, he was once poised to right the script for a Sex Pistols movie. In fact, look him up on the IMDB and you will see that he has credits with RUSS MEYER of all people for the film "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls". For those not familiar with Russ Meyer, he most most famous for his self confessed obsession for woman with large...well you know what I mean. Basically his movies were sex-exploit films at a time when nudity was not well accepted in Hollywood as it is today.

Anyways, I would be very interested to see how Roger Ebert would view this movie now, or even better if this movie came out today. For years now I have purchased his year in review books, read his column in the newspaper, and now weekly visit his website. I have noticed that he seems much more accepting and understanding of many films that he typically would have bashed. You can read his online here at http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/.
                          He even gave a positive review to the new Transformers movie..quite shocking. I do remember though when Stargate did come out, it was not very well received. In fact, if not for the eventual Showtime TV series we all came to love, I think this movie would have been forgotten somewhat. Nothing more I think this movie just came out at a bad time for Science Fiction in general.

p.s. For those outside of North America, Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel were the pre-eminent film critics here in the US. Gene Siskel has passed away, and while health issues have slowed Ebert some, he does continue to review films.

Comment

I was disappointed with the movie when it came out, because I knew it could be so much more. That's why, besides showing in syndication late at night, I didn't start watching SG-1 til a couple of seasons in. Then, when I saw the show was what I had been hoping the movie would be, I was happy.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                            O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I really enjoyed the movie, Ra is in my opinion one of the coolest bad guys ever, no gouald in my opinion on the TV show has matched his sinister edge and his coolness.

Comment

Working...
                              X