This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    I think MGM's SG-1 movies says there won't be sequels to the original movie. Imagine trying to explain this to someone who didn't want the TV show...

Movie Guy, "So, how many movies are there?"
    SG-1 Guy, "There's five. The original movie, two sequels, and two SG-1 movies."
    Movie Guy, "SG-1? What's that?"
    SG-1 Guy, "It's the TV show that picked up where the movie left off."
    Movie Guy, "...but the movie has two sequels that do that."
    SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, but the TV show was made first, then they made an alternate continuation."
    Movie Guy, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just make two sequels to begin with? These SG-1 movies have nothing to do with the original movies?"
    SG-1 Guy, "Well, the creators of the movie didn't like SG-1 and wanted to complete their trilogy. The SG-1 movies follow SG-1 which follows the original movie. They're not in the same continuity as Stargate 2 & 3."
    Movie Guy, "Oh my... there's two Stargate 2s and two two Stargate 3s?"
    SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, something like that..."
    Movie Guy, "Oh, forget it, this is too confusing, I'll just stick with the trilogy."
    SG-1 Guy, "...but the SG-1 movies are better, they wrap up SG-1!"
    Movie Guy, "...I don't care..."

Yeah, that's going to go over well. lol
    Just funny how fans of the show come with all sorts of excuses, and make up all sorts of problems, to supposedly prove that making direct sequels to the original movie, without following SG-1, would be problematic.

This couldn't be farther from the truth.
    Especially since it's likely that a large portion of the theater audiance will not know or watch SG-1.

And even if they do, you just have to make it simple: it's two continuities.

Different takes on the same original idea.

People aren't that dumb you know. They can understand, just like they understand that many films are adaptations of books, or midly inspired by them, and that as such, there are differences.

I also love how people consider the original movie so badly. It has all the strong bases that were needed to create a show.
    Even more, it has the epic and the proper respect of alien cultural barrier that makes the situation even more credible.
    Finally, it's still simply a beautiful adventure film.

People give episodes like Reckoning or Camelot high fives. I'd find it particularily hypocrit from these same people to bash the movie.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Besides, there were two news from 07 2006, which Gateworld provided.
      Now, they removed the articles.

Here are the original links though:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...mpletemo.shtml
      http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...outstarg.shtml

Fortunately, I quoted the text elsewhere, so here it is:

Twelve years after the original "Stargate" movie was a hit in theaters, writer and producer Dean Devlin still hopes to complete the trilogy he originally conceived. And he's in talks with MGM to do just that, he told fans gathered at the San Diego Comic Con today.

"'Stargate' was a film a lot like [Devlin's new film] 'Flyboys' because it's a film no one wanted to do or fund and we had to get our funds ourselves. I thought one time about what it would be like if I didn't do this. It's like being a dream ... and now the it's like the dream has walked out of my mind, across the street, married someone, etc."

While Devlin and "Stargate" director Roland Emmerich never raced to support the television series produced by MGM without their involvement, the producer said that he is proud of the success of his brain child.

"You can't help but be proud of that, especially when no one believed in that," he said. "There was a day we went back to the editorial suite and no one was there -- everyone was gone.

"The interesting irony is that now that Flyboys is independent, we've made a deal with MGM to release it. And suddenly now I'm in a position where I could suddenly do those sequels. We're in talks with MGM to do 'Stargate' sequels."

MGM originally acquired full rights to the "Stargate" franchise when it signed on to distribute the film in 1994, after it had been produced by Emmerich's Centropolis Films. Though Devlin hoped that the movie's box office success would make a second and third feature film happen, MGM instead tapped veteran television producers Jonathan Glassner and Brad Wright to create Stargate SG-1 for Showtime.

In light of SG-1's small screen success, MGM has for years expressed a desire to see Stargate return to the big screen, even penning a deal with Wright and SG-1 executive producer Robert C. Cooper to create an SG-1-based film.

Whether hope remains for Devlin's original "Stargate" concept -- and whether there is room for two different versions of the "Stargate" mythos -- remains in MGM's hands.

Read more about Devlin's Comic Con comments at FirstShowing.net and ComingSoon.net. "Flyboys," the story of a group of World War I fighter pilots, is in theaters September 29.
      Dean Devlin, writer and producer of the original "Stargate" movie, isn't just wishing on a star when it comes to revisiting the trilogy he originally envisioned. Yesterday Devlin told fans on stage at San Diego Comic Con that he has signed a production deal with Stargate franchise owner MGM, and is in negotiations to create "Stargate 2" and "Stargate 3" independent of the successful, decade-old television franchise (story).

Now, in a new interview with SciFi Wire, Devlin reveals that he believes MGM's current executives will be receptive to the idea, as will director Roland Emmerich and original stars Kurt Russell ("Jack O'Neil") and James Spader ("Daniel Jackson").

When MGM found itself with a box office hit in 1994, the timing was off for a sequel film. "MGM had made a big commitment to doing the [SG-1] series," Devlin told the site, "and they were worried that the movie could interfere with the series. Well, now that the series has run so successfully for so long and spawned a second series, and there's a whole new regime at MGM, they're not really worried about, the series is running great on its own. And they think there is an audience out there who would like to see what parts two and parts three were intended to be. Because there was a larger story arc that we had in mind, and we never got to explore it so I think it will be very exciting to actually get to go do parts two and three."

Though fans have often assumed that Devlin's untold story eventually made its way into his film "Independence Day" (about an alien invasion of Earth thwarted by a brash pilot and a geeky scientist) or Bill McCay's series of five "Stargate" novels, the second film would in fact pick up 12 years after the original. The films would continue the story where it left off, when Jack O'Neil left Daniel Jackson on the planet Abydos.

"[Russell and Spader have] always said they wanted to do it," Devlin said. "... The irony is actually because it was 12 years ago that we made 'Stargate,' [and] part two was actually supposed to take place about 12 years later. We were just going to kind of age them up as actors. So it actually works out really nicely."

Devlin also believes that his original mythology can coexist with the hit TV series, the events of which picked up one year after the end of the film. "I think the series could still live at the end of the third sequel," he said. "So we're going to try to not tread on their stories."
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
        Just funny how fans of the show come with all sorts of excuses, and make up all sorts of problems, to supposedly prove that making direct sequels to the original movie, without following SG-1, would be problematic. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Especially since it's likely that a large portion of the theater audiance will not know or watch SG-1. And even if they do, you just have to make it simple: it's two continuities. Different takes on the same original idea. People aren't that dumb you know. They can understand, just like they understand that many films are adaptations of books, or midly inspired by them, and that as such, there are differences. I also love how people consider the original movie so badly. It has all the strong bases that were needed to create a show. Even more, it has the epic and the proper respect of alien cultural barrier that makes the situation even more credible. Finally, it's still simply a beautiful adventure film. People give episodes like Reckoning or Camelot high fives. I'd find it particularily hypocrit from these same people to bash the movie.
        All I'm saying is that if you make sequels to the original movie, it will hurt SG-1 movie sales.

Comment

I doubt it, the Sg1 movies wont be bought by anyone not familiar with SG1 already. And people already familiar with SG1 will buy them whatever. In fact, new movies on the big screen from Devlin MIGHT inspire some new fans to look up that old Sg1 series theyd heard about and investigate it. After the first episode they'd kinda realise its a different continuity, but they'd go "meh, what the heck. Batman has different continuities..." and they'd watch SG1 and THEN buy the SG1 films.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
            All I'm saying is that if you make sequels to the original movie, it will hurt SG-1 movie sales.
            How is it going to hurt SG-1 Sales ...

1. The sales of SG-1 MOVIES are going to be based on the fans , not the everyday joe that watches movies for fun . They would be lost in the first place .

It would be like if they make a movie based off of some TV Series that has been out for 4 or 5 years and they make a movie based on that , your going to be lost if you didn't watch the TV series first and went straight to the movie . Yeah it might be a good movie , but will you be able to caught up to what's going on .

2. Devlin's Trilogy could help out , Re-release the STARGATE movie to theaters a week before the second movie comes out so newer people could see what its about ( and yes they can do this , they have done it in the past with STAR WARS ) and have the rest of the TRILOGY come out right after that .

They could even do a Direct to DVD Movies as well , Promoting them as a Trilogy of the 1st Movie . All this could do is get newer fans interested in see what STARGATE is about , and could even see a rise in sales of DVD Series and SG-1 Movies too see what the other side of the story is about .

The one thing you have to remember is that alot of the people that are going to buy the STARGATE SG-1 Based Movies are going to be the fans that have watched STARGATE for the past 10 or so years the people that know what is going on in the story of everything ( Seeing how the first movie is going to be the real ending of the series in the first place ) and yes i do know tha they are going to add in a section for those that haven't had the chance to watch the show to see what has happened in the last 10 years , but is that anuff to get people caught up like they should be ?

Comment

Talking with the studio is a long long way from making a film

most films that get talked about never go into production
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith View Post
                Talking with the studio is a long long way from making a film

most films that get talked about never go into production
                at this point in time im going to agree with you on that one , seeing how Devlin hasn't said one things sense comic con of 2006 . Unless he's been doing this project with out anyone know what is going on ( and that has happened before )

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                  I also love how people consider the original movie so badly. It has all the strong bases that were needed to create a show.

I LOVE the original movie.

I also LOVE Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

I just happen to think that Devlin is talking out of his hat EVERY TIME he mentions making a sequel to Stargate.

He's had 13 years.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Well, apparently he said he had signed a production deal. MGM didn't debunk this claim, as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post

I just happen to think that Devlin is talking out of his hat EVERY TIME he mentions making a sequel to Stargate.

He's had 13 years.

Morjana
                      He might have problems with MGM with rights, but face it, without Devlin, none of us would be here discussing the tv show. He made the original Stargate. And in Hollywood, lots of movies take a long time to get off the ground.

Comment

who the heck is Devlin? And what sequel are you talking about?
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

He wrote the original movie.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                            who the heck is Devlin? And what sequel are you talking about?
                            Devlin, as Jenks said, wrote the original movie. And has, of late discussed intentions of creating "Star Gate" 2 and 3 to complete his originally envisioned trilogy. This has caused controversy amongst the fandom, as "Star Gate" 2 and 3 would ignore S.G-1 continuity. Most believe that accepting that there are two different continuities is a trick that is well beyond the intellectual level of general gaters.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Well since the series has been canceled, I think anything done by Devlin will
                              be great. His Librarian series with Noah Wylie has done great. It would be
                              great to see the movie cast reassembled. The Stargate movie was a big success back
                              when it came out...hitting number 1 in it's first week.

I definitely would like to see Devlin in the mix.
                              Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post

He's had 13 years.

Morjana
                                I was thinking he was blowing smoke out of his.. (Ori)fice.

I'd be shocked if MGM ever greenlights it. Not after all the money it's made off SG-1.

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X