X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No news about Devlin's sequel?

Just asking.
    Last time we heard something about it, it seemed to be a pretty solid project, moving forward, and MGM was interested in it.

Thus far, Dean Devlin is involved in Isobar, scheduled for 2007.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

At this time i think MGM is more interested in make there two movies for the TV Series first , and after that they might have bigger plans later on .

If Devlin really wants to get he's story out there , i feel he needs t do more then to show up at a Comic-Con event and say i want to do this and that . He should be out there talking with the fans them self's , Come to the message boards and tell us he side of the story . Seeing how he said this was suppose to be a trilogy of his , you would think he would have the last two stories written of something put together for MGM to read and for the fans to look over to get there input of what we think of them becoming movies .

Instead he say's he we are in the talks with MGM about finishing are project of STARGATE movies , and that MGM is interested in them as well ( Witch no one at MGM has ever said anything ) and then he goes back in hiding and never hear from him about the movies again .

I would be one of the STARGATE fans that would love to see MGM let Devlin finish his side of the story , but with out him getting a script out there and seeing how he's not rushing to do this project of his , he will end up loosing support from alot of fans that would love to see his side of the story .

If he really wants to get this going , he will have to have a script out soon to show off and would have to start filming right away , before fans forget all about him and his story ....

Comment

Eh, I always had the impression that he was just talking so that it would garner some sort of attention. People have done stuff like that so that studios would notice and start thinking "Hey... hmm, that's not a bad idea!". I never took it seriously, and luckily, it looks like our dear Stargate franchise will remain, for the most part, unfractured (*cough* Stargate Infinity*).

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Right now, I'm too focused on these SG-1 movies to care much about Devlin's possible sequel.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
          Just asking.
          Last time we heard something about it, it seemed to be a pretty solid project, moving forward, and MGM was interested in it.

To be fair, I think he was talking out of his arse.

Comment

How would a sequel work exactly? I'm guessing that it wouldn't follow the continuity set by the show? Personally, I doubt that it would ever happen.
            You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Comment

I think MGM's SG-1 movies says there won't be sequels to the original movie. Imagine trying to explain this to someone who didn't want the TV show...

Movie Guy, "So, how many movies are there?"
              SG-1 Guy, "There's five. The original movie, two sequels, and two SG-1 movies."
              Movie Guy, "SG-1? What's that?"
              SG-1 Guy, "It's the TV show that picked up where the movie left off."
              Movie Guy, "...but the movie has two sequels that do that."
              SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, but the TV show was made first, then they made an alternate continuation."
              Movie Guy, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just make two sequels to begin with? These SG-1 movies have nothing to do with the original movies?"
              SG-1 Guy, "Well, the creators of the movie didn't like SG-1 and wanted to complete their trilogy. The SG-1 movies follow SG-1 which follows the original movie. They're not in the same continuity as Stargate 2 & 3."
              Movie Guy, "Oh my... there's two Stargate 2s and two two Stargate 3s?"
              SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, something like that..."
              Movie Guy, "Oh, forget it, this is too confusing, I'll just stick with the trilogy."
              SG-1 Guy, "...but the SG-1 movies are better, they wrap up SG-1!"
              Movie Guy, "...I don't care..."

Yeah, that's going to go over well. lol

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                Right now, I'm too focused on these SG-1 movies to care much about Devlin's possible sequel.
                I have to agree.

Right now I am more interested and concerned about the movies we know for a fact are happening. As much as I would love to see Devgate, it's just unfeasible right now for MGM or Devlin to do it when 14 million is being spent on something that could potentially fail or just fail to reach expectations.

Although I do believe and hope the SG1 movies will succeed, I do think that such movies could be a better investment rather than a $100 million which could fail even harder with the diehard SG1 fans out to boycott it because they believe it's removing SG1 from continuity.

sigpic

Comment

Just asking.

I see this as good sign
                  with no news its hopefully less likely for the trilogy to happen and Daniel Jackson( forum member ) said it would be to confusing and there would less likely hood of new fans joining the SG1 and Atlantis fold
                  sigpic
                  Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                  Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
                    Eh, I always had the impression that he was just talking so that it would garner some sort of attention. People have done stuff like that so that studios would notice and start thinking "Hey... hmm, that's not a bad idea!". I never took it seriously, and luckily, it looks like our dear Stargate franchise will remain, for the most part, unfractured (*cough* Stargate Infinity*).

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    To be fair, I think he was talking out of his arse.
                    I think you're both right.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Just asking.

Devlin has made that claim several times over the years since Stargate the Movie.

From an article published in 2003:

From IGNFilmForce.com:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/43...html?fromint=1

MGM Plans Second Stargate Series and Film And SG-1 continues for an eighth season.

July 29, 2003 - Last week, fans of Stargate SG-1 were buoyed by the
                      news that the sci-fi spin-off series would continue for an eighth
                      season...
                      **snippage**

...MGM intends to end SG-1 at the close of season eight, and to use it
                      as a lead-in for a second Stargate film, based on SG-1. Movie fans
                      who prefer the original film to the television series may be
                      disheartened; Stargate is possibly one of the best science fiction
                      films made since Star Wars, and director Dean Devlin has said on
                      occasion that he'd love to do a sequel along the same lines as the
                      first, if only MGM would let him
                      -- Paul Davidson

From a Brad Wright Chat transcript June 2002:

<Moderator> <mcfrey>: Can you tell us something about Dean Devlin project? Casn coexist the 2 projects? (yours and devlin)
                      <Moderator> <johnson-sg3>: With propsals submitted for an SG-1 movie and with the very recent news that Dean Devlin, producer of the original movie is also interested in pursuing his own sequels, are you both competing to gain MGM's green light? And are the differences between the two camps still there or have they been resolved?
                      <Brad> Two things. First, the Devlin and Emmerich wanted to do a sequal to their film, forgetting the series ever happened.
                      <Brad> I think that's ludicrous.
                      Brad> The feature Robert and I have written is exactly that, a bridge between SG-1 and Atlantis.
                      <Brad> There won't be a Devlin and Emmerich sequal as far as I know, but MGM may not want to make our script either.

From an article at SciFi.com from Aug 27, 2001:

Stargate SG-1's cast and crew blow out the candles on its 100th birthday

By Melissa J. Perenson

n 1994, MGM's Stargate became the sleeper hit of the fall raking in around
                      $70 million. Not too shabby for a film from the pre-Independence Day
                      production team of Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin. While the duo talked
                      big "an envisioned trilogy of Stargate films
                      " ultimately, the project went no
                      further.

Personally, I don't think he's serious about it -- he just keeps mentioning it for old times sake.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

They will never be made. That simple.

He is a liar, MGM doesn't give a damn about his ideas, they rather continue doing cheap SG-1 movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          I think MGM's SG-1 movies says there won't be sequels to the original movie. Imagine trying to explain this to someone who didn't want the TV show...

Movie Guy, "So, how many movies are there?"
                          SG-1 Guy, "There's five. The original movie, two sequels, and two SG-1 movies."
                          Movie Guy, "SG-1? What's that?"
                          SG-1 Guy, "It's the TV show that picked up where the movie left off."
                          Movie Guy, "...but the movie has two sequels that do that."
                          SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, but the TV show was made first, then they made an alternate continuation."
                          Movie Guy, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just make two sequels to begin with? These SG-1 movies have nothing to do with the original movies?"
                          SG-1 Guy, "Well, the creators of the movie didn't like SG-1 and wanted to complete their trilogy. The SG-1 movies follow SG-1 which follows the original movie. They're not in the same continuity as Stargate 2 & 3."
                          Movie Guy, "Oh my... there's two Stargate 2s and two two Stargate 3s?"
                          SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, something like that..."
                          Movie Guy, "Oh, forget it, this is too confusing, I'll just stick with the trilogy."
                          SG-1 Guy, "...but the SG-1 movies are better, they wrap up SG-1!"
                          Movie Guy, "...I don't care..."

Yeah, that's going to go over well. lol
                          Interesting and valid points. As a supporter of Devlin's movies however, I'd like to alter the last few lines of your argument:

SG1 Guy, "Oh, forget it, this is too confusing, I'll just stick with the trilogy."
                          Movie Guy, "...but the Devlin movies are better!
                          SG1 Guy, "...I don't care..."

Something I see happening here too...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I really couldn't care less about Devlin's films....to be honest I didn't really think much of the first film! But it could get quite confusing...I thought he sold the rights to the franchise anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Battera View Post
                              How would a sequel work exactly? I'm guessing that it wouldn't follow the continuity set by the show? Personally, I doubt that it would ever happen.
                              Nope, they'd ignore it completely.

Comment

Working...
                              X