Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Lieutenant Colonel Mister Oragahn's Avatar

Default No news about Devlin's sequel?

Just asking.
    Last time we heard something about it, it seemed to be a pretty solid project, moving forward, and MGM was interested in it.

Thus far, Dean Devlin is involved in Isobar, scheduled for 2007.

Default Re: No news about Devlin's sequel?

At this time i think MGM is more interested in make there two movies for the TV Series first , and after that they might have bigger plans later on .

If Devlin really wants to get he's story out there , i feel he needs t do more then to show up at a Comic-Con event and say i want to do this and that . He should be out there talking with the fans them self's , Come to the message boards and tell us he side of the story . Seeing how he said this was suppose to be a trilogy of his , you would think he would have the last two stories written of something put together for MGM to read and for the fans to look over to get there input of what we think of them becoming movies .

Instead he say's he we are in the talks with MGM about finishing are project of STARGATE movies , and that MGM is interested in them as well ( Witch no one at MGM has ever said anything ) and then he goes back in hiding and never hear from him about the movies again .

I would be one of the STARGATE fans that would love to see MGM let Devlin finish his side of the story , but with out him getting a script out there and seeing how he's not rushing to do this project of his , he will end up loosing support from alot of fans that would love to see his side of the story .

If he really wants to get this going , he will have to have a script out soon to show off and would have to start filming right away , before fans forget all about him and his story ....

Eh, I always had the impression that he was just talking so that it would garner some sort of attention. People have done stuff like that so that studios would notice and start thinking "Hey... hmm, that's not a bad idea!". I never took it seriously, and luckily, it looks like our dear Stargate franchise will remain, for the most part, unfractured (*cough* Stargate Infinity*).

Ganthet Jr. is formerly "TheInnkeeper"

Teal'c: Your world is a strange place.
    Daniel: ...So's yours.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Right now, I'm too focused on these SG-1 movies to care much about Devlin's possible sequel.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    Just asking.
    Last time we heard something about it, it seemed to be a pretty solid project, moving forward, and MGM was interested in it.

To be fair, I think he was talking out of his arse.

How would a sequel work exactly? I'm guessing that it wouldn't follow the continuity set by the show? Personally, I doubt that it would ever happen.
    You look but you do not see. You listen but you do not hear. You cannot accept us, but we are here to stay. You think we are just a shadow, a bad memory that will go away if you ignore us long enough but we won't.

We are human too whether you like it or not. We are here and our time is now. Together we can only soar. We will remain strong forever more, and nothing can quell our pride.

-LGBT-

Lieutenant Colonel

I think MGM's SG-1 movies says there won't be sequels to the original movie. Imagine trying to explain this to someone who didn't want the TV show...

Movie Guy, "So, how many movies are there?"
    SG-1 Guy, "There's five. The original movie, two sequels, and two SG-1 movies."
    Movie Guy, "SG-1? What's that?"
    SG-1 Guy, "It's the TV show that picked up where the movie left off."
    Movie Guy, "...but the movie has two sequels that do that."
    SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, but the TV show was made first, then they made an alternate continuation."
    Movie Guy, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just make two sequels to begin with? These SG-1 movies have nothing to do with the original movies?"
    SG-1 Guy, "Well, the creators of the movie didn't like SG-1 and wanted to complete their trilogy. The SG-1 movies follow SG-1 which follows the original movie. They're not in the same continuity as Stargate 2 & 3."
    Movie Guy, "Oh my... there's two Stargate 2s and two two Stargate 3s?"
    SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, something like that..."
    Movie Guy, "Oh, forget it, this is too confusing, I'll just stick with the trilogy."
    SG-1 Guy, "...but the SG-1 movies are better, they wrap up SG-1!"
    Movie Guy, "...I don't care..."

Yeah, that's going to go over well. lol

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    Right now, I'm too focused on these SG-1 movies to care much about Devlin's possible sequel.
    I have to agree.

Right now I am more interested and concerned about the movies we know for a fact are happening. As much as I would love to see Devgate, it's just unfeasible right now for MGM or Devlin to do it when 14 million is being spent on something that could potentially fail or just fail to reach expectations.

Although I do believe and hope the SG1 movies will succeed, I do think that such movies could be a better investment rather than a $100 million which could fail even harder with the diehard SG1 fans out to boycott it because they believe it's removing SG1 from continuity.

In a bipedal tank a sort of metal gear (leeds)

Just asking.

I see this as good sign
    with no news its hopefully less likely for the trilogy to happen and Daniel Jackson( forum member ) said it would be to confusing and there would less likely hood of new fans joining the SG1 and Atlantis fold

Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
    Metal gear fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
    Eh, I always had the impression that he was just talking so that it would garner some sort of attention. People have done stuff like that so that studios would notice and start thinking "Hey... hmm, that's not a bad idea!". I never took it seriously, and luckily, it looks like our dear Stargate franchise will remain, for the most part, unfractured (*cough* Stargate Infinity*).

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    To be fair, I think he was talking out of his arse.
    I think you're both right.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Sci-Fi Re: No news about Devlin's sequel?

Just asking.

Devlin has made that claim several times over the years since Stargate the Movie.

From an article published in 2003:

From IGNFilmForce.com:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/43...html?fromint=1

MGM Plans Second Stargate Series and Film And SG-1 continues for an eighth season.

July 29, 2003 - Last week, fans of Stargate SG-1 were buoyed by the
    news that the sci-fi spin-off series would continue for an eighth
    season...
    **snippage**

...MGM intends to end SG-1 at the close of season eight, and to use it
    as a lead-in for a second Stargate film, based on SG-1. Movie fans
    who prefer the original film to the television series may be
    disheartened; Stargate is possibly one of the best science fiction
    films made since Star Wars, and director Dean Devlin has said on
    occasion that he'd love to do a sequel along the same lines as the
    first, if only MGM would let him
    -- Paul Davidson

From a Brad Wright Chat transcript June 2002:

<Moderator> <mcfrey>: Can you tell us something about Dean Devlin project? Casn coexist the 2 projects? (yours and devlin)
    <Moderator> <johnson-sg3>: With propsals submitted for an SG-1 movie and with the very recent news that Dean Devlin, producer of the original movie is also interested in pursuing his own sequels, are you both competing to gain MGM's green light? And are the differences between the two camps still there or have they been resolved?
    <Brad> Two things. First, the Devlin and Emmerich wanted to do a sequal to their film, forgetting the series ever happened.
    <Brad> I think that's ludicrous.
    Brad> The feature Robert and I have written is exactly that, a bridge between SG-1 and Atlantis.
    <Brad> There won't be a Devlin and Emmerich sequal as far as I know, but MGM may not want to make our script either.

From an article at SciFi.com from Aug 27, 2001:

Stargate SG-1's cast and crew blow out the candles on its 100th birthday

By Melissa J. Perenson

n 1994, MGM's Stargate became the sleeper hit of the fall raking in around
    $70 million. Not too shabby for a film from the pre-Independence Day
    production team of Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin. While the duo talked
    big "an envisioned trilogy of Stargate films
    " ultimately, the project went no
    further.

Personally, I don't think he's serious about it -- he just keeps mentioning it for old times sake.

Morjana

They will never be made. That simple.

He is a liar, MGM doesn't give a damn about his ideas, they rather continue doing cheap SG-1 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    I think MGM's SG-1 movies says there won't be sequels to the original movie. Imagine trying to explain this to someone who didn't want the TV show...

SG-1 Guy, "Yeah, but the TV show was made first, then they made an alternate continuation."
    Movie Guy, "Wouldn't it have been easier to just make two sequels to begin with? These SG-1 movies have nothing to do with the original movies?"
    SG-1 Guy, "Well, the creators of the movie didn't like SG-1 and wanted to complete their trilogy. The SG-1 movies follow SG-1 which follows the original movie. They're not in the same continuity as Stargate 2 & 3."
    Movie Guy, "Oh, forget it, this is too confusing, I'll just stick with the trilogy."

Interesting and valid points. As a supporter of Devlin's movies however, I'd like to alter the last few lines of your argument:

SG1 Guy, "Oh, forget it, this is too confusing, I'll just stick with the trilogy."
    Movie Guy, "...but the Devlin movies are better!
    SG1 Guy, "...I don't care..."

Something I see happening here too...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

I really couldn't care less about Devlin's films....to be honest I didn't really think much of the first film! But it could get quite confusing...I thought he sold the rights to the franchise anyway.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Battera View Post
    How would a sequel work exactly? I'm guessing that it wouldn't follow the continuity set by the show? Personally, I doubt that it would ever happen.
    Nope, they'd ignore it completely.

Just funny how fans of the show come with all sorts of excuses, and make up all sorts of problems, to supposedly prove that making direct sequels to the original movie, without following SG-1, would be problematic.

This couldn't be farther from the truth.
    Especially since it's likely that a large portion of the theater audiance will not know or watch SG-1.

And even if they do, you just have to make it simple: it's two continuities.

Different takes on the same original idea.

People aren't that dumb you know. They can understand, just like they understand that many films are adaptations of books, or midly inspired by them, and that as such, there are differences.

I also love how people consider the original movie so badly. It has all the strong bases that were needed to create a show.
    Even more, it has the epic and the proper respect of alien cultural barrier that makes the situation even more credible.
    Finally, it's still simply a beautiful adventure film.

People give episodes like Reckoning or Camelot high fives. I'd find it particularily hypocrit from these same people to bash the movie.

Besides, there were two news from 07 2006, which Gateworld provided.
    Now, they removed the articles.

Here are the original links though:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...mpletemo.shtml
    http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...outstarg.shtml

Fortunately, I quoted the text elsewhere, so here it is:

Twelve years after the original "Stargate" movie was a hit in theaters, writer and producer Dean Devlin still hopes to complete the trilogy he originally conceived. And he's in talks with MGM to do just that, he told fans gathered at the San Diego Comic Con today.

"'Stargate' was a film a lot like [Devlin's new film] 'Flyboys' because it's a film no one wanted to do or fund and we had to get our funds ourselves. I thought one time about what it would be like if I didn't do this. It's like being a dream ... and now the it's like the dream has walked out of my mind, across the street, married someone, etc."

While Devlin and "Stargate" director Roland Emmerich never raced to support the television series produced by MGM without their involvement, the producer said that he is proud of the success of his brain child.

"You can't help but be proud of that, especially when no one believed in that," he said. "There was a day we went back to the editorial suite and no one was there -- everyone was gone.

"The interesting irony is that now that Flyboys is independent, we've made a deal with MGM to release it. And suddenly now I'm in a position where I could suddenly do those sequels. We're in talks with MGM to do 'Stargate' sequels."

MGM originally acquired full rights to the "Stargate" franchise when it signed on to distribute the film in 1994, after it had been produced by Emmerich's Centropolis Films. Though Devlin hoped that the movie's box office success would make a second and third feature film happen, MGM instead tapped veteran television producers Jonathan Glassner and Brad Wright to create Stargate SG-1 for Showtime.

In light of SG-1's small screen success, MGM has for years expressed a desire to see Stargate return to the big screen, even penning a deal with Wright and SG-1 executive producer Robert C. Cooper to create an SG-1-based film.

Whether hope remains for Devlin's original "Stargate" concept -- and whether there is room for two different versions of the "Stargate" mythos -- remains in MGM's hands.

Read more about Devlin's Comic Con comments at FirstShowing.net and ComingSoon.net. "Flyboys," the story of a group of World War I fighter pilots, is in theaters September 29.
    Dean Devlin, writer and producer of the original "Stargate" movie, isn't just wishing on a star when it comes to revisiting the trilogy he originally envisioned. Yesterday Devlin told fans on stage at San Diego Comic Con that he has signed a production deal with Stargate franchise owner MGM, and is in negotiations to create "Stargate 2" and "Stargate 3" independent of the successful, decade-old television franchise (story).

Now, in a new interview with SciFi Wire, Devlin reveals that he believes MGM's current executives will be receptive to the idea, as will director Roland Emmerich and original stars Kurt Russell ("Jack O'Neil") and James Spader ("Daniel Jackson").

When MGM found itself with a box office hit in 1994, the timing was off for a sequel film. "MGM had made a big commitment to doing the [SG-1] series," Devlin told the site, "and they were worried that the movie could interfere with the series. Well, now that the series has run so successfully for so long and spawned a second series, and there's a whole new regime at MGM, they're not really worried about, the series is running great on its own. And they think there is an audience out there who would like to see what parts two and parts three were intended to be. Because there was a larger story arc that we had in mind, and we never got to explore it so I think it will be very exciting to actually get to go do parts two and three."

Though fans have often assumed that Devlin's untold story eventually made its way into his film "Independence Day" (about an alien invasion of Earth thwarted by a brash pilot and a geeky scientist) or Bill McCay's series of five "Stargate" novels, the second film would in fact pick up 12 years after the original. The films would continue the story where it left off, when Jack O'Neil left Daniel Jackson on the planet Abydos.

"[Russell and Spader have] always said they wanted to do it," Devlin said. "... The irony is actually because it was 12 years ago that we made 'Stargate,' [and] part two was actually supposed to take place about 12 years later. We were just going to kind of age them up as actors. So it actually works out really nicely."

Devlin also believes that his original mythology can coexist with the hit TV series, the events of which picked up one year after the end of the film. "I think the series could still live at the end of the third sequel," he said. "So we're going to try to not tread on their stories."

Lieutenant Colonel

Just funny how fans of the show come with all sorts of excuses, and make up all sorts of problems, to supposedly prove that making direct sequels to the original movie, without following SG-1, would be problematic. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Especially since it's likely that a large portion of the theater audiance will not know or watch SG-1. And even if they do, you just have to make it simple: it's two continuities. Different takes on the same original idea. People aren't that dumb you know. They can understand, just like they understand that many films are adaptations of books, or midly inspired by them, and that as such, there are differences. I also love how people consider the original movie so badly. It has all the strong bases that were needed to create a show. Even more, it has the epic and the proper respect of alien cultural barrier that makes the situation even more credible. Finally, it's still simply a beautiful adventure film. People give episodes like Reckoning or Camelot high fives. I'd find it particularily hypocrit from these same people to bash the movie.
    All I'm saying is that if you make sequels to the original movie, it will hurt SG-1 movie sales.

I doubt it, the Sg1 movies wont be bought by anyone not familiar with SG1 already. And people already familiar with SG1 will buy them whatever. In fact, new movies on the big screen from Devlin MIGHT inspire some new fans to look up that old Sg1 series theyd heard about and investigate it. After the first episode they'd kinda realise its a different continuity, but they'd go "meh, what the heck. Batman has different continuities..." and they'd watch SG1 and THEN buy the SG1 films.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

All I'm saying is that if you make sequels to the original movie, it will hurt SG-1 movie sales.
    How is it going to hurt SG-1 Sales ...

1. The sales of SG-1 MOVIES are going to be based on the fans , not the everyday joe that watches movies for fun . They would be lost in the first place .

It would be like if they make a movie based off of some TV Series that has been out for 4 or 5 years and they make a movie based on that , your going to be lost if you didn't watch the TV series first and went straight to the movie . Yeah it might be a good movie , but will you be able to caught up to what's going on .

2. Devlin's Trilogy could help out , Re-release the STARGATE movie to theaters a week before the second movie comes out so newer people could see what its about ( and yes they can do this , they have done it in the past with STAR WARS ) and have the rest of the TRILOGY come out right after that .

They could even do a Direct to DVD Movies as well , Promoting them as a Trilogy of the 1st Movie . All this could do is get newer fans interested in see what STARGATE is about , and could even see a rise in sales of DVD Series and SG-1 Movies too see what the other side of the story is about .

The one thing you have to remember is that alot of the people that are going to buy the STARGATE SG-1 Based Movies are going to be the fans that have watched STARGATE for the past 10 or so years the people that know what is going on in the story of everything ( Seeing how the first movie is going to be the real ending of the series in the first place ) and yes i do know tha they are going to add in a section for those that haven't had the chance to watch the show to see what has happened in the last 10 years , but is that anuff to get people caught up like they should be ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast