Star Trek Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek Questions

If anyone knows the answer to these questions, I'd really love to hear what you have to say:

1) Any speculations regarding the nature of the "God" being from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier? Could it be some kinda trapped Q?

2) Was there ever speculation or mention of the race who built the "probe" that came looking for the whales in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home? Do you think these were the Xindi aquatics? Or maybe they were the race who "reconfigured" the V-ger/voyager probe from ST: The Motion Picture?

3) How advanced were the Gorn from the TOS and how big was their empire?

Originally posted by LordAnubis
    1) Any speculations regarding the nature of the "God" being from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier? Could it be some kinda trapped Q?
    I think most Star Trek fans would just like to forget TFF, but for what it's worth, "God" was too weak to be a Q. He was a fairly impotent creature when you get right down to it, easily destroyed by standard issue Klingon disruptors (just like that lame satellite) and bound to the planet. His only specialty was the nifty lightning eyes and a flair for the dramatic (as he dims the lights and creates a theater for his grand appearance).
    END OF LINE

Comment

If anyone knows the answer to these questions, I'd really love to hear what you have to say:

2) Was there ever speculation or mention of the race who built the "probe" that came looking for the whales in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home? Do you think these were the Xindi aquatics? Or maybe they were the race who "reconfigured" the V-ger/voyager probe from ST: The Motion Picture?

1)The being from TFF wasn't a god per say but a god like creature, the speculation was that due to it's power it had been imprisioned behind the great barrier by a more powerful being, i.e. God

2)This was never mentioned outside of TVH. I'd doubt it to be the Xindi aquatics because as we know from Ent the Xindi become part of the Federation so would be knowledgeable of earth going ons anyway. As for the Race from TMP this race was all machines and V-Ger only came to earth for its creator they did not communicate with biological beings for any other reason. I'd say that it was onlt really there as a plot device for them to go back to the 80's.

3)No idea, Check out the offical ST site it has more info than you'd imagine.

Hope that helped.

Comment

i don't think it was a trapped Q. a trapped Q would have no powers so it wouldn't be able to appear as a big giant head. the alien may have been a Cytherian from the TNG episode Nth Degree

the probe from the first movie fell through a black hole if i remember and encountered a planet of artifical lifeforms who then upgraded the probe and then sent it back on its mission. i don't that that a race of artifical lifeforms would sent out a proble to take to a couple of whales. it could have been a Xindi but i don't think so. with the subspace corridors they can travel through, it would have just been quicker and easier for the aquatics to come here themselves and the probe didn't look like Xindi technology

nothing like that has ever been revealed about the Gorn. from what i remember, the gorn were as about advanced when it came to warp drive and i think they may have had better weapons or defenses (in the only episode with the gorn, the enterprise was trying to escape from them). that is about it. there hasn't been any more real details revealed about them that i can remember

sigpic

Comment

I seem to recall reading a Star Trek book (TNG) that hinted at it's origins. As I recall (vaguely at best) it ties into the 'barrier' at the edge of our galaxy that Kirk and crew encountered in the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

Episode synopsis follows (source):
          Some years before this second pilot, the S.S. Valiant had encountered a unknown energy barrier at the rim of the galaxy. Something had then made its captain destroy his ship.

The U.S.S. Enterprise finds the Valiant's disaster record-marker, which reveals that just prior to its destruction the crew had been searching library tapes for any information on psionics.

The U.S.S. Enterprise arrives at the edge of the galaxy and the same force affects the ship's drives that must have affected those of the Valiant. Kirk notices a strong personality change in his good friend, Lieutenant Gary Mitchell, whose latent psionic abilities are heightened by the force field. Soon Mitchell has gained enormous extrasensory powers, displaying many talents which include moving objects with his mind and controlling his own heart rate. To a smaller degree, Dr. Elizabeth Dehner is also affected by the force field's power and the two are drawn together by their common powers.

As Mitchell's powers grow, he becomes more dangerous. Spock believes that when the Valiant experienced the same phenomena, it destroyed itself to prevent the power from taking over the galaxy. Mitchell confirms his fears when he informs them that he is becoming a god who will rule the humans. Spock feels that Mitchell's death is the only solution, but Kirk is unable to kill his old friend. Instead, he exiles him to an uninhabited planet. However, once on the planet's surface, Mitchell kills his guard and escapes, taking Dr. Dehner with him. Kirk follows with a phaser rifle and Mitchell attempts to kill Kirk with his psionic powers.

Witnessing this display, Dr. Dehner realizes how inhuman and dangerous Mitchell has become and tries to help Kirk defeat him. Without remorse, Mitchell kills Dehner. Before he can refocus his psi powers, Kirk creates a rockslide that entombs Mitchell, killing him.

Afterwards, Spock admits to Kirk that for the first time in his life, he felt something akin to human emotion.

Basically the novel had the 'god' on ST:V be a being like the one that took over Mitchell. I'm a bit hazy on the specifics though. I think my brother still has that book. I'll see if I can dig it up. Of course none of this is supported by anything from the movies or TV series.

Comment

I don't think the 'god' (note no capital g) is not Q, but just another race that likes to think of itself as a god (sort of like our good friends the goa'uld).

V'Ger I always speculated was done up by our good friends the Borg.

The Probe, yeah...Xindi Aquatic may make sense....
            Alex :: UE Photographer @ Large
            www.alcsnet.com/urbex-milton/
            2 Cor 4:7

Comment

Originally posted by Axle
              The Probe, yeah...Xindi Aquatic may make sense....
              No it doesn't. Am I missing something or did the Xindi not try and Destroy the Earth™. Why would they then send a probe a century later to see how the whales are doing? That couldn't possibly care that much. And they must have known that Earth contained (other) intelligent life that they could contact directly.

No the Xindi make no sense in this regard.

Comment

That "God" person reminded me of the Wizard of Oz!

Comment

Well I think its possible that an early Borg was the one who modified the Voyager 6 probe (as well as Nomad). If you think about it, Vgers mission was essentially one of assimilation, and Nomads was a variation of that same mission (although it cared more about assimilating the machines than the organic units).
                  [email protected]
                  http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                  One nation under dog
                  There of which I stand alone
                  A face in the crowd
                  Unsung, against the mold
                  Without a doubt
                  Singled out
                  The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dick
                    I think most Star Trek fans would just like to forget TFF, but for what it's worth, "God" was too weak to be a Q. He was a fairly impotent creature when you get right down to it, easily destroyed by standard issue Klingon disruptors (just like that lame satellite) and bound to the planet. His only specialty was the nifty lightning eyes and a flair for the dramatic (as he dims the lights and creates a theater for his grand appearance).
                    That's what I was thinking, but it never said what he was or where he was from. Makes you wonder!

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                      I seem to recall reading a Star Trek book (TNG) that hinted at it's origins. As I recall (vaguely at best) it ties into the 'barrier' at the edge of our galaxy that Kirk and crew encountered in the TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

Episode synopsis follows (source):
                      Some years before this second pilot, the S.S. Valiant had encountered a unknown energy barrier at the rim of the galaxy. Something had then made its captain destroy his ship.

The U.S.S. Enterprise finds the Valiant's disaster record-marker, which reveals that just prior to its destruction the crew had been searching library tapes for any information on psionics.

The U.S.S. Enterprise arrives at the edge of the galaxy and the same force affects the ship's drives that must have affected those of the Valiant. Kirk notices a strong personality change in his good friend, Lieutenant Gary Mitchell, whose latent psionic abilities are heightened by the force field. Soon Mitchell has gained enormous extrasensory powers, displaying many talents which include moving objects with his mind and controlling his own heart rate. To a smaller degree, Dr. Elizabeth Dehner is also affected by the force field's power and the two are drawn together by their common powers.

As Mitchell's powers grow, he becomes more dangerous. Spock believes that when the Valiant experienced the same phenomena, it destroyed itself to prevent the power from taking over the galaxy. Mitchell confirms his fears when he informs them that he is becoming a god who will rule the humans. Spock feels that Mitchell's death is the only solution, but Kirk is unable to kill his old friend. Instead, he exiles him to an uninhabited planet. However, once on the planet's surface, Mitchell kills his guard and escapes, taking Dr. Dehner with him. Kirk follows with a phaser rifle and Mitchell attempts to kill Kirk with his psionic powers.

Witnessing this display, Dr. Dehner realizes how inhuman and dangerous Mitchell has become and tries to help Kirk defeat him. Without remorse, Mitchell kills Dehner. Before he can refocus his psi powers, Kirk creates a rockslide that entombs Mitchell, killing him.

Afterwards, Spock admits to Kirk that for the first time in his life, he felt something akin to human emotion.

Basically the novel had the 'god' on ST:V be a being like the one that took over Mitchell. I'm a bit hazy on the specifics though. I think my brother still has that book. I'll see if I can dig it up. Of course none of this is supported by anything from the movies or TV series.
                      Cool, Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                        Well I think its possible that an early Borg was the one who modified the Voyager 6 probe (as well as Nomad). If you think about it, Vgers mission was essentially one of assimilation, and Nomads was a variation of that same mission (although it cared more about assimilating the machines than the organic units).
                        I was thinking V-ger might have been assimilated by the Borg, but some trekker friends said I was crazy. I still like the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                          No it doesn't. Am I missing something or did the Xindi not try and Destroy the Earth™. Why would they then send a probe a century later to see how the whales are doing? That couldn't possibly care that much. And they must have known that Earth contained (other) intelligent life that they could contact directly.

No the Xindi make no sense in this regard.
                          Hey, the Xindi don't even exist in the ST universe! Not really anyway. Plus, the aquatics were not really the bad guys, mostly the reptilians and insectoids. I wonder if the Xindi reptilians knew of the Gorn?

Comment

"gods" race is in the episode the Nth Degree of TNG were they go to the centre of the galaxy.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ode/68492.html
                            The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Originally posted by Bast
                              "gods" race is in the episode the Nth Degree of TNG were they go to the centre of the galaxy.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ode/68492.html
                              I never saw that one. Were they any relation to the Q, or did they know of the Q?

Comment

Working...
                              X