Stargate Loving Teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Loving Teachers

Hi! I'm a geography teacher from Texas and I was wondering how many teachers out there loved Stargate? I thought it would be cool to have a thread where maybe we teachers could get together to share some of our joys in the job, and if need be, have a place to vent with other teachers who understand the ups and downs of teaching. What do you all think?
    sigpic
    Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Music teacher in Pennsylvania and fellow Stargate addict!

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

You'd be surprised at the number of teachers on the forum. I taught high school history for a while and am now in the Media Center of a middle school.
      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
      May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Hey, do former teachers count? I taught 1st grade in NJ for six years (pre-school & substitute before that). Now I stay home with the kids. None of my teacher friends are Stargate people.
        e7of7

"It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got." - Sheryl Crow

Comment

Originally posted by e7of7 View Post
          Hey, do former teachers count? I taught 1st grade in NJ for six years (pre-school & substitute before that). Now I stay home with the kids. None of my teacher friends are Stargate people.
          Of course it counts! Btw, my mom taught 2nd grade for over 30 years!

I didn't mention it in my previous post, but geography is taught at the 9th grade in my district. Even though 9th is high school, I still feel as if I were teaching junior high.
          sigpic

Comment

I actually *use* Stargate videos in my sociology classes - now that's an addict. (For example Emancipation to illustrate feminism)
            sigpic

Comment

I'm a high school music teacher.
              sigpic

Comment

So are music and science fiction genetically related?

I've been wanting to teach sociology Nolamom, but the coaches get to do it as a tutorial. They won't take away a section of geography to have me teach an elective.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm the department head, so I get to teach a couple of things I want like sociology and AP Economics.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've asked to teach AP Psycology. We don't even offer it, but I'm working on the scheduling principal. *Sigh* But my department head tries very hard to get everyone to teach their preference, so I'm generally happy! And she especially works to reduce our number of preparations.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                      I didn't mention it in my previous post, but geography is taught at the 9th grade in my district. Even though 9th is high school, I still feel as if I were teaching junior high.
                      Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                      I've asked to teach AP Psycology. We don't even offer it, but I'm working on the scheduling principal. *Sigh* But my department head tries very hard to get everyone to teach their preference, so I'm generally happy! And she especially works to reduce our number of preparations.
                      My former school teaches geography in the ninth grade also. While I like the middle school cluster model, I do think that ninth graders belong in middle school and sixth graders belong in elementary school. I see such an increase in maturity between the sixth and seventh grades and between the ninth and tenth grades. Now that our school system only uses clusters in the sixth grade, there doesn't seem to be much use in retaining middle schools as opposed to high schools. It would also help to relieve the overcrowding in the high schools as well.

I would have loved teaching AP Psych. I even like the biological psychology, but teaching abnormal psychology to kids just has so many possibilities.
                      sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                        My former school teaches geography in the ninth grade also. While I like the middle school cluster model, I do think that ninth graders belong in middle school and sixth graders belong in elementary school. I see such an increase in maturity between the sixth and seventh grades and between the ninth and tenth grades. Now that our school system only uses clusters in the sixth grade, there doesn't seem to be much use in retaining middle schools as opposed to high schools. It would also help to relieve the overcrowding in the high schools as well.
                        I quite agree with you on 9th belong in junior high. A few years back our district moved sixth up to "middle schoool" and I argued against it. Sometimes I think we are trying to make our kids grow up too fast.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I *try* to get everyone's preference in, however, I can only make recommendations to our scheduling VP. Sometimes my recommendations of teacher preferences go right out the window.

We have 6-8 in middle school too. At our high school we tryto have a sort of separate academy for 9th - their classes are pretty much all in one wing.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            Well, I *try* to get everyone's preference in, however, I can only make recommendations to our scheduling VP. Sometimes my recommendations of teacher preferences go right out the window.

We have 6-8 in middle school too. At our high school we try to have a sort of separate academy for 9th - their classes are pretty much all in one wing.
                            We did a pilot program for ninth graders. It was supposed to eliminate students who were serious discipline problems and had been failing multiple classes in middle school. It was also supposed to limit class sizes to 25 students.

It didn't last. My last bell class had 32 students; it was supposed to have been the team's planning period. A student who had been expelled for carrying a gun at school in another school system was let in. I spent three weeks riding him about his behavior and academics because I didn't know before he was transferred to the proper school. We did have one remarkable success; all of our special ed kids passed their standardized tests. At the end of the year, two of the four teachers, me included, asked to go back to what we had been teaching previously. The program was later abolished when the system went to citywide block schedules.
                            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

We are going to try a 9th grade academy this year at my high school, but it's only for a certain number of students (and is not for Pre-AP). I don't know who they got to teach it because most of the history department teachers do not want 9th graders. Myself and my friend Sylvia are the only ones who seem to like having them, but since no Pre-AP, we were not included. I'll let you all know in the future how it goes!

Nolamom, Annie says the same thing about scheduling! But mostly it seems to be working out the way she plans!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X