This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discontinuity in the power of the staff weapons

In "The Torment of Tantalus" (1x10), when SG-1, Catherine Langford, and Ernest Littlefield were stuck on Heliopolis (PB2-908), it was clearly stated that there was not enough energy in Teal'C's staff weapon to power the gate. However, in "The Fifth Race" (2x15), Jack used one of the liquid naquadah capsules that the staff weapons use for power to create a device that gave the gate enough power to dial another galaxy. How can this be true?

Sincerely,
    <~Gateman2007~>

He used Ancient knowledge to, I don't know, boost efficiency or something; this one's simple to explain.

Of course, there are plenty of other discontinuity; some of which can be found in this thread.

Comment

Over the many years this show was on, I'm sure a lot of this kind of stuff popped up. Personally, I never let little discontinuities get to me too much.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

This is not a discontinuity, it was purposefully put into the show. The complexity of the device that Jack created has been mentioned on several occasions. Carter wasn't able to duplicate it, even having the original to work off of.

Personally I believe that the device somehow pulled zero point energy from subspace, and the naquada powered the harvesting process. And as all ancient devices do (that are built with our "primitive technology") it burnt out quite quickly (like Orlin's Stargate & the modified Tel'tak).
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
        X