Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Dilation Question (spoilers for unending)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Dilation Question (spoilers for unending)

What happens if you put a time dilation device set to make time pass at a rate of 1 hour in the field for 1 second in the rest of the universe on a moving object, such as a shuttle or missile.

The time dilation device is now moving, meaning that the field should move with it. Correct?

Now if thats the case could you ever intercept a moving object that is traveling inside a self projected time dilation field in any way except getting directly in front of it? In 1 second the object moves 1 hours worth of distance without ever exceeding its regular speed (for example if a car had this Time Dilation device and drove at 60 miles per hour in its frame of reference for 1 hour of non dilated time then the car would be 216,000 from its original location, appearing to travel at 216,000 MPH to the rest of the universe, yet never going over 60 MPH in its own frame of reference).

This means that a time dilated missile with a 2:1 field (2 seconds pass for it for ever 1 that passes for the rest of the universe) would go twice as fast as it used to. At ten to one dilation we are talking about a Mach 10 missile traveling at Mach 100. At 3,600 to 1 (1 hour for 1 second) that missile moves at Mach 36,000.

Now you don't get the fun of relativistic missiles because the mass isn't actually going that fast in its own frame of reference but you do get missiles and ships that are nigh untouchable.

So to rephrase all of this, can you use time dilation to create frame dragging?

Because they were unable to move in Unending they probably cant use sublight engines if that is what you were asking. If you equipt a missle with a device like that capable of moving with a time dialation field you theoretically could hit targets at velocities of over the speed of light, making any shield of absolutely no use as you would need an infinite amount of energy to power the shield and withstand that impact.

I was always under the impression the replicators accelerated time and spent hundreds of years escaping Othalla's sun's black hole, while it looked like a few seconds for us. But i am probably wrong.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Bu why couldn't you move within the confines of the field? I mean say the time dilation device creates the TD field within a 10 foot radius of its self. The TD device on a missile that is only 3 feet long and a foot wide. Why can't the missile move forward within the confines of that TD field? It is no different from anywhere else in the universe except that time passes very fast inside that area. Now the TD device moves with the missile, continuing to create the 10 foot radius TD field.

The missile wouldn't impact with a force any greater than it normally would. It is never accelerated to the speed of light, it has taken that missile (from its own point of view) exactly as long to get to its target as it would have taken if it wasn't inside the field. The only thing is that by the rest of the universes point of view it has been going incredibly fast. When it impacts though it only has the energy it would normally have.

Comment

true, but if we had it hug the hull of a missle it would probably be undetectable because of the speed of a outside perspective. I really shouldnt get really indepth on this, i dont really understand it the concept that well.
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

The basic idea is you have an object that moves at 500 miles per hour. You put a time dilation device on it that causes it to experience 1 hour for each real second that passes. You launch it and it travels 5 real seconds before stopping. From the objects point of view 5 hours have passed and it experienced all 5 hours. From the "real" point of view that object has traveled 2500 miles from its starting point in 5 seconds, giving it a velocity of 1,800,000 miles per hour. But from the objects point of view it traveled 2500 miles in 5 hours giving it a velocity of 500 miles per hour.

If that object hits something the impact energy is dependent on the velocity of the object from the objects point of view, not the velocity from the "real" point of view.

Comment

Theoretically you could do this because the Othalla could move around the the sun. And it was no mentioning about the field extending around the whole system. But maybe i am wrong.
            I would like to fly with this baby.

Comment

Are you suggesting a time-dilation shield for ships?!?!?!

Comment

It's been shown in unending. I'm suggesting using it as a military tactic.

Missiles that can't be shot down because they travel the length of a solar system in what the target perceives as a second or 2.

Ships that can fire on a hundred different ships a dozen times each in 1 real second.

It would make your fleet unbeatable.

Comment

What about Power Requirements?
                  http://galaxyraiders.com/location.php

Comment

What about them? The TD device when it was first introduced was shown to be just a bit bigger than a naquadah generator. Meaning it had a power source included. And it was slowing time down much farther than I ever wanted to.

Battle wise we are talking slowing time down to 1 hour for 1 real second and keeping it on for 10 non-real minutes. Make something like the shield buffer if you want for it.

Comment

IMO

If used correctly, Odyssey should be able to take out fleets.

Stop time, recharge shields, resume battle.

Comment

Working...
                      X