Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taboo question: What naqahdah and naqahdria are exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Star Trek: Voyager they had a single molecule named Omega that could devastate an entire star system. Now clearly that energy can't be stored inside a single molecule. While it wasn't stated on the show, I think the fan explanation was something about the molecule destabilizing a subspace interfold layer (or somesuch thing) and somehow creating a chain reaction in subspace itself.

Given that Naqahdah is a denser energy source than Antimatter, it has to be something weird (and non-existent) like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      Put simlpy, those materials output amounts of energy that completely exceed what even reasonable densities of antimatter can do, by several orders of magnitude.

At some time, people talk about a crystaline nature or something, I can't remember, but that doesn't explain much.

So what's the most trendy technobabbled hypothesis in the clubs right now?
      Naqudah is a high-energy yield mineral, found in underground mines. The gao'uld use it as a power-source. Naquadah is assumed to be a precious mineral as well, as throughout the SG-1 series, we only know of a few locations where Naquadah was mined.

Naquadriah is an isotope of Naquadah, and provides a substantially higher energy yield than Naquadah. However, the higher the energy of Naquadriah, the more unstable it becomes.

More complete information can probably be found in the GateWorld Omnipedia. Click the Omnipedi link at the top of the page and you can read about all the stuff you ever wanted to know about stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
        I considered the Horizon as the launch vehicle, since it has the propulsion system, and the MIRVs to be the warheads inside.
        Ok. Well, the Horizon is the MIRV. The warheads inside... are just the warheads, on rocket as well.

What two key elements? Special effects that don't take reality and science into consideration? I mean you already did the math, right? Your conclusion was that the Horizon cannot operate as advertised.

So it's either bad physics, or it's bad special effects (that looked really cool).
        Unless someone can make sense of the math, to explain how such a device can be be made so compact, then there's no other option.
        Naqahdah and Naqahdria are behind a lot of stuff in Stargate. It's literally behind nearly everything in the show.

I don't care if yhe explanation is some kind of technobabble. As long as it seems to get in line with formerly established lore in Stargate, I'm all for it.

See:

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
        On Star Trek: Voyager they had a single molecule named Omega that could devastate an entire star system. Now clearly that energy can't be stored inside a single molecule. While it wasn't stated on the show, I think the fan explanation was something about the molecule destabilizing a subspace interfold layer (or somesuch thing) and somehow creating a chain reaction in subspace itself.

Given that Naqahdah is a denser energy source than Antimatter, it has to be something weird (and non-existent) like that.
        That one seems good. Of course, it's completely out there, but we know a couple of things about subspace in Stargate, notably we have the record of a couple of subspace related events, which led to very powerful incidents.

Hyperspace is subspace related.
        Here's a couple of hyperspace related facts, that demonstrate how subspace does contain (hefty amounts of (weird)) energy:
        1. The destruction of the first O'neill class, escaping Halla. The tremendous explosion was so powerful that it literally pushed Thor's Biliskner sideways, and the explosion started at a hell of a distance.
          Right now, I don't know the amount of energy necessary to push a Biliskner sideways, say by 50 m, in the event of a few frames, but it must be high.
          It made the ship's shields completely glow (very similar to the titanical explosion of Apophis' supership in Enemies).
        2. The explosion of the stargate, in Redemption. It occured at 3 million miles away from Earth, yet it completely whitened the screen, and the coronal expansion was moving very fast, and looked several times bigger than the moon, as it would be seen from the same distance.
        3. A certain form of hyperspace radiations that can damage certain parts of Wraith ships, when flying in hyperspace.

In time, I'll try to get a compilation of all the events and quotes which just demonstrate how powerful naqahdah and naqahdria are.
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Not to mention the fact that ZPMs draw their energy from subspace in an artificially created mini-verse. And Trinity attempted to (and did) draw huge amounts of power directly from subspace in our reality.

Comment

Yep, good point.

Another question.

What reaction naqahdah and naqahdria undergo to release energy?

Let's say, still using the exotic energy component, that the initial burst of energy relase is triggered by a normal fusion, and that this serves as a catalyst to have naqahdah and naqahdria induce their exotic mechanism, to release lots of energy.

Now, what if we replaced that hypothetical initial fusion reaction by an anihilation process?

Say, making naqahdah react with anti-naqahdah (and naqahdria react with anti-naqahdria). Anihilation processes are more than 140 times more powerful than the fusions we can achieve.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Here's just a theory I came with as a passing thought...

I'm wondering if naqahdah, mainly found in the Milky Way as far as we can tell, couldn't be some after effect of the Alterans using some kind of technology on the geology of many planets.

Some technobabble process, which turns some elements into naqahdah, by, say, bombarding them with waves or beams of those Trinity exotic particles.

It could be a long terraforming process, or eventually immediate, I don't know. It's not like the Goa'uld started using the naqahdah at the same time the Alterans did.

We could say that the Alterans saw a very good potential in this method to generate powerful ore all over the galaxy.
              Eventually, during their research, they realized that ultimately, if everything went wrong, they could sanitize worlds by blowing them up inducing a chain reaction with the naqahdah.

This would have been used as a solution against the plague, until they found the other solution with the Dakara device.

The first stargate prototypes would have ben way more fragile, and the Alterans would have used that technique to devlop the material they needed to make the long lasting stargates.

The more they'd build stargates, the more they'd place them on new worlds, and fire the exotic stuff through wormholes, and let the geological process occur and grow on its own.

However, due to the dangerous power of naqahdah, certain worlds would have not been targeted with that exotic system. Such as Earth, for example.

Millions of years later, the Goa'uld would be harvesting that artificial ore for their technology.

This is some crazy idea, but here's something I said elsewhere about naqahdria (artificially boosted naqahdah):

On that note, the events of "Meridian" (end of season 5) clearly give hints that the souped up variant, naqahdria, has potential links to those exotic particles created with that Arctarus Lantian reactor, in episode "Trinity" (Atlantis), so naqahdah could have the same link to those exotic particles that break physics, but to a lower extent.
              Where did you get the idea that Naquadria is related to the project Arturus Zero point Generator? I've never heard that mentioned in Canon since both are two completely different things.
              From observations of episode Meridian.
              The naqahdria bomb the Kelownians were working on was, if I remember correctly, an artifact they found within a Goa'uld lab.
              The phenomenon spotted in the lab incident are very similar to what happen in Arcturus, only toned down.
              You have some power flux apparently under control, then an uncontrolled spike, a small energy distorsion appears above the small artifact, then that distorsion suddenly erupts as a ripple which wahes across the room, and all scientists drop likes flies.

When Daniel tries to stop the machine, his first attempt is to disconnect the mechanism bare hands, and he gets burned.

If you make a summary of Arcturus and compare symptoms, you'd see that it's all the same, just with different magnitudes.

Comment

I'll also take the occasion to link another related thread on the use of naqahdah here:

Naqahdah, superconductor, armor and energy buffers.
                Last edited by Mister Oragahn; 25 January 2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Thats similar to the idea of a ZPM, the particle antiparticle reactions.
                  Best quotes ever:
                  O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                  Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                  Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                  Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                  Thor:I like the yellow ones
                  O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

but doesnt it seem quite logic that the fission reaction of naquahdah is not similar to plutionium, uranium, or bohrium. its more violent, creates loads more energy, and due to being a larger particle, it most likelyhas a longer reaction, and due to metal density, you have more, larger, and more heavily fissioning particles. naquahdriah wasnt an isotope. but it was a variant and was less stable and had an even more severe fission reaction. now im not a fission/fusion expert, but this is what i think. its also possible that there is a fission-fission reaction. naquahdah fissions to a new exotic material, wich fissions further. as far as i know plutonium/uranium is fissionable twice. what if naquahdah fissions even further down, until its residue is about 100 atomc numbers lower. perhaps naquahdriah breaks itself entirely down to small particles. and one thing i do know: the horizon wasnt small.

a gatebuster is built on the principle of naquahdria turning naquahdah to naquahdria. a gatebuster starts a fission reaction, wich continues in the stargate. as it is a chunk of naquahdah, it will turn to naqhaudriah[in a violent explosion], and the fission reaction continues. asuras no doubt had naquahdah in itself, or under itself.

Comment

naquahdriah has no connections to arcturus whatsoever, exept it also releases deadly radiation.

Comment

I thought that Naquadria was found on Jonas's planet due to the mining operation there by the Goa'uld and by the locals, the Taur'i obviously traded for the material and used it once in their hyperdrives and for MK9 Gatebusters. I thought that the Mark 9 just vaporized the gate rather than using the gates material as a Catalyst

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                          1)I know that the writers don't specialize in this sort of thing. I just wish they'd hire someone, even someone like us, part time to do this kind of thing for them. Honestly, I wouldn't require much more than minimum wage. 10 dollars an hour and I'm good (and benefits). I'm sure that fans who are in a better financial situation than me would be willing to do it for free.

2) I have come across a handful of situations in real life where trig or geometry were useful, 2 situations where I needed to use very simple algebra, and none where calculus would be of any help whatsoever. Everything else was either addition/subtraction or multiplication/division. Really as long as you can add and subtract on your fingers you are set for life unless you get a job in an engineering, analyst, or science capacity. Which I don't have, and likely never will.
                          Lol, thats the kinda work interns do. That or bringing coffee. Realistically it dosent matter tho, wont make something unreal anymore realistic

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                            A heavy metal element with an atomic number higher than 200 probably, extremely dense so that a single brick maybe more than 300 ilbs. Naquadriah is either a different isotope or a new element with an even higher atomic number.
                            I just watched a season 3 episode where they first encountered Naqadah and Carter says it is a mineral.

Therefore it has to have a crystalline structure.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              but doesnt it seem quite logic that the fission reaction of naquahdah is not similar to plutionium, uranium, or bohrium. its more violent, creates loads more energy, and due to being a larger particle, it most likelyhas a longer reaction, and due to metal density, you have more, larger, and more heavily fissioning particles. naquahdriah wasnt an isotope. but it was a variant and was less stable and had an even more severe fission reaction. now im not a fission/fusion expert, but this is what i think. its also possible that there is a fission-fission reaction. naquahdah fissions to a new exotic material, wich fissions further. as far as i know plutonium/uranium is fissionable twice. what if naquahdah fissions even further down, until its residue is about 100 atomc numbers lower. perhaps naquahdriah breaks itself entirely down to small particles. and one thing i do know: the horizon wasnt small.
                              There's just a given amount of energy you can get from fission and fusion.

a gatebuster is built on the principle of naquahdria turning naquahdah to naquahdria. a gatebuster starts a fission reaction, wich continues in the stargate. as it is a chunk of naquahdah, it will turn to naqhaudriah[in a violent explosion], and the fission reaction continues. asuras no doubt had naquahdah in itself, or under itself.
                              I never heard anything like that. Seems to be some fan invention, contradicted by canon.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              naquahdriah has no connections to arcturus whatsoever, exept it also releases deadly radiation.
                              It's some exotic material which, once going under uncontrolled reaction, shows the same symptoms as the Arcturus reactor, but at a much smaller scale.
                              It's extremely exotic because even put into the E=mc² equation, you fall short of the effects you reach with a gatebuster.

A mark IX is at least worth of 812 GT. That nuke they moved around on the sort of MALP in Beachhead, even if it contained 10 tons of naqahdria, inducing an anihilation wouldn't even provide half the low end energy of the mark IX.

You'd need 20.79 tons of naqahdria, and anti-naqahdria, reacting perfectly, to generate those 812 GT of energy. We're, of course, nowhere that kind of reaction. These are nukes, fusion devices enhanced with bits of naqahdria. There's barely any special mechanism added for a better reaction, and there's certainly no mechanism for anihilation of matter there.
                              And there's no way that vehicle could carry even 20 tons of matter.

Comment

The weapon that the MALP moved around in Beachheah was a Mark 9-Mitchell said so himself. 0.8 of a Terraton Ouch for anyone who gets one of them in the face!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X