This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First World Question

Does anyone know why gates on other worlds sometimes appear to have the PoO symbol representing earth? I at first thought it was a fluke, but after re-watching "New Ground" I no longer think that because the first shot of the gate on the other world is the earth PoO symbol in a shot so close that it is the only symbol we can see. I figured that this would have been too obvious to miss unless it was on purpose, since they could have chosen any other chevron to show, but I could be wrong. My theory so far is that it has to do with the fact that the gate builders originated on earth, but I do not know if this holds any weight. Does anyone else?
    Last edited by songar87; 30 July 2007, 03:44 PM. Reason: clarification

I figured it was just to do with the same prop being used on several "planets" and not that it was something intentional. But I can be wrong....
    Save Dr Carson Beckett!!

"I was sure I was gonna wake up dead this morning"

"Ah yes, let's race towards the gunfire"

"We're in another galaxy, how much more out can you get??"

"And you are Lord Mot, here to punish us for our insolence....etcetera, yada, et al."

Comment

It usually comes down to props. They can't always make new DHD's for every world or new symbols each episode so it makes sense to use the same thing over and over. That's why the Egypt gate PoO was still seen even though they were using the Antarctic gate during dial sequences and close ups of the gate.

sigpic

Comment

I must agree, on the previous poster's theory. I mean think about how many wolrds the SG teams have been too, how many times different gates have been shown, many of them only a single time. They COULD have possibly made some insertion or overlay peice for the gates/dhd s to correct, but it may have just been to complicated. Or maybe no one thought of it untill it was too late. Hindsight is 50/50.
        Or, maybe, for some reason the PoO is in fact generic, and Daniel's theory about earth's specific PoO is incorrect.
        *shrugs*
        "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

the answer is simple.

All DHD's are the same, as they can dial any of the gates, using 6 symbols for targeting a gate and one for the home address, earths symbol would be used for targeting other gates as well. If every DHD was different the team would have to research every gate to figure out how to dial home.

also the home symbols are not set on what gate you use, they are set by planet. that is why both gates on earth used the same Point of origin . As the funky A is the PoO for earth, not the Egypt gate. any gate brought to earth would use this symbol.

Comment

The A symbol is the PoO for the Egypt gate, all DHD's are supposed to have the same symbols, apart from the one unique one which is the point of origin...

Comment

in the movie earths gate is diffrent from the one on abydos, which we all know, and in the 1st episode CotG when daniel, carter and jack arrive on chulak daniel say that chulaks gate is just like the abydos gate. so i always thougt that every off world gate was the same as the abydos gate

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                The A symbol is the PoO for the Egypt gate, all DHD's are supposed to have the same symbols, apart from the one unique one which is the point of origin...
                That doesn't make sense, since apart from the PoO, all symbols represent star constellations. And in every solar system, the surrounding stars will appear in different alignments, i.e. on every gate world there should be totally different star constellations and hence different symbols.

There is even a reference to this in the pilot, when Daniel shows them the Abydos gate address archive in the catacombs. He says something like "I've beeen able to recognize most of these in the night sky of Abydos", so he is clearly saying on Abydos the star constellations and therefore the gate symbols should be different.

Strangely enough, the walls in that hall are covered in the typical Goa'uld pseudo hieroglyphs, no star constellations/ gate symbols whatsoever. But that's a mistake of its own ^^

I agree that they simply didn't want to change the DVD prop for every show.

Club Mats likes you.

Comment

Originally posted by bj2060 View Post
                  that is why both gates on earth used the same Point of origin.

I seem to remember the antarctica gate having a different PoO symbol, hence why Carter and O'Neill didn't realise they were on Earth. My memory is a little fuzzy though so I'm not certain.
                  I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

yeah the antarctic gate poo is like a horizontal line with a circle above it

also here are a couple of similar threads with some explanations to stuff thats been bought up here
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=45862
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=45556
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X