This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

References to other franchises in SG-1?

How many references have there been to other shows or scifi franchises? I mainly watch for Star Wars ones.

Possible spoilers, highlight to read.

Ascension

There was the whole thing with Teal'c seeing Star Wars 8 times.

There was Jack's "I'm Luke Skywalker" thing. As well as Daniel's "galaxy far, far away" thing. Not to mention all the Trek references.

Redemption

O'Neill talks about "ending up in a galaxy far, far away". Another one is during one of the countdown scenes at the SGC, one of the timers reads 11:38 - the number from George Lucas' THX-1138.

Fallen

The entire briefing room scene = briefing room in ANH against the Death Star. O'Neill says "I though we were going with Red Leader on this one" in the F-302. The battle on the surface of Anubis' ship is like the first and second Death Star battles. The scene where missiles hit the reactor core is exactly the same as the Death Star reactor in ROTJ.

There might be a few more, I can't remember. There have been references to Trek and Wizard of Oz, as well as the Simpsons. What other ones are there?

I remember one episode where Sam was talking about a dumb movie she saw and described the Aliens came all the way to Earth and their weakness was ...water... She was definately talking about the movie Signs.

Comment

They do MacGyver refrences every now and then too. EXAMPLE (from "Children of the Gods"): "It tooks us fifteen years and three supercomputers to MacGyver a way..."
      Rocky

Comment

They talked about The Matrix in Avatar, i liked that Signs one, i think it was Homecoming, when they were catching Daniel up on everything.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

jack wanted to call prometheus the enterprise iirc

Comment

In "Deadman Switch," there was a Beetleguice reference: "Um... Almond bark, Barca Lounger, Beetlejuice!"
            Rocky

Comment

One of my favorite quotes:
              Daniel Jackson: Well, we were kind of hoping you'd beam them out.
              Jacob Carter: Beam them out? What am I? Scotty?

Comment

I always like when they reference Stargate: The movie. EXAMPLE: In "Secrets": "It's "O'Neill", with two L's. There's another Colonel O'Neil with only one L, and he has no sense of humor at all."
                Rocky

Comment

Good ones, everybody!

I think in Wormhole Extreme there's an NID guy named "Agent Smith".

Anubis himself is kind of inspired by Darth Vader / the Emperor.

Comment

There is also the discussion about Dr. McKoy being just like Dr. Beckett, only Beckett is real and McKoy's a tv character in Atlantis Poisoning the Well.

Comment

I like Sam's "Any indiginous lions, tigers or bears I should lie awake worrying about?" in The First Commandment I think.

Comment

I'll post another one. They have made some very funny Starsky and Hutch references, like this one from "Chain Reaction": "Good afternoon, Ma'am. I'm Starsky. This is... Hutch." (O'Neill to Mrs. Kinsey). Mrs. Kinsey's reaction was the funniest part, but unfortunately, I don't know that line.
                        Rocky

Comment

The Star Trek references are what I like, its both a nod to Trek as a forerunner and a little rubbing it in that SG-1 seems to have taken the lead when it comes to the kind of storytelling Trek used to have a monopoly on. My favorite reference of all time is in 1969, when O'Neil gives his name as "James T. Kirk" during his military interrogation. Its a nice homage to a similar scene in the original series' "Tomorrow is Yesterday."

Comment

In Wormhole X-treme!, one of Tanner’s men used the alias, Steve Austin. Of course Steve Austin was Lee Majors’s character in “The Six Million Dollar Man”. I’m guessing that’s what they were trying to imply because Carter’s reaction to the name was kind of like “well that’s original”.

In Desperate Measures, they mention Godzilla and Mothra movies.

Daniel: "So, you think Maybourne's a fan of Godzilla movies?"
                            Jack: "He strikes me more of a Mothra guy."

And they also make another reference to Starsky and Hutch in that episode.

Originally posted by rocket4477
                            I'll post another one. They have made some very funny Starsky and Hutch references, like this one from "Chain Reaction": "Good afternoon, Ma'am. I'm Starsky. This is... Hutch." (O'Neill to Mrs. Kinsey). Mrs. Kinsey's reaction was the funniest part, but unfortunately, I don't know that line.
                            Mrs. Kinsey calls Jack, Mr. Starsky, and Kinsey tells her "Dear, Starsky and Hutch is an old TV show." She goes, "Oh so you're actors then?"
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Thanks LoneStar. Classic line. Wonder why a guy like Kinsey would marry such a dunderhead.
                              Rocky

Comment

Working...
                              X