Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There a gua'ld out there now doing research, there always looking for new technolgy, Narity (how do you spell her name) for example, the most powerfull always seem to build a new more powerfull mother ship than the rest, Apohpis and Anubis for example

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
      To the response of whether the Goa'uld can invent items I would say they can. The snakes themselves are pretty smart and they retain what their hosts knew before. But the Goa'uld are lazy. I couldn't imagine a Manhattan type project with hundreds of Goa'uld working on some new super weapon.
      Plus what would having better technology gain them? Before SG1 started bumping off the System Lords the Tok'ra were a minor annoyance. The Asgard were way too tough. An arms race to become the only major System Lord would just make it more likely that the Goa'uld would get killed. Plus then the danger raises that some rebel humans will gain those weapons.
      Slave societies are not well known for improving their technology. The Goa'uld don't care if the Jaffa have better living conditions. If the medicine improves. If more crops are grown. As a matter of fact they are better off with a subsistence level for their slaves. That way their slaves are more worshipful of the "wrathful god".
      Do you really think that's true? I mean, they strive to improve their technology in order to conquer more worlds, expand into other galaxies one day, defeat the Asgard, extend their lives, etc. If the Jaffa live longer and are well fed, the Goa'uld stay protected and keep their empires. No Jaffa, no Goa'uld. Of course they want to improve their technology and have shown in many episodes over 8 years that they do create things, and do innovate. They are lazy and they do fight amongst themselves, and these qualities aren't too great when you should be investing more time and energy into improvement, but they do it from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
        The ribbon device only works for Goa'uld hosts or former hosts: Did they just find a weapon that happened to work for them and no-one else? The Goa'uld clearly develop their own mechanisms, even if they base them base them on a hundred millennia of plundered science; less standing on the shoulders of giants and more climbing over their corpses.
        No, they probably got that idea from the ancients and the way their tech will only work for the ones who have their certain gene. The Goa'uld just did it with naquada. It's still a ripoff of others.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
          No, they probably got that idea from the ancients and the way their tech will only work for the ones who have their certain gene. The Goa'uld just did it with naquada. It's still a ripoff of others.
          If you take someone's research and do your own thing with it, that's not a ripoff; it's developing your own technology. They designed it, did the R&D, refined it over the years with more and more labour-saving gadgets. That's technological progress right there.

Oh, and I always figured that naquadah would just flush out of your body without a chemical, released by the Goa'uld, which fixes the naquadah in the physiology or some equivalent; I assume Cassie to be able to use a ribbon device, just as she is able to sense Goa'uld. Pure supposition, but that's mine. Incidentally, I also assume that the drug which made the symbiote undetectable in Fallout did so by somehow 'neutralising' the naquadah signature, as a side effect rendering the Goa'uld temporarily incapable of using ribbon devices and the like.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
            Do you really think that's true? I mean, they strive to improve their technology in order to conquer more worlds, expand into other galaxies one day, defeat the Asgard, extend their lives, etc. If the Jaffa live longer and are well fed, the Goa'uld stay protected and keep their empires. No Jaffa, no Goa'uld. Of course they want to improve their technology and have shown in many episodes over 8 years that they do create things, and do innovate. They are lazy and they do fight amongst themselves, and these qualities aren't too great when you should be investing more time and energy into improvement, but they do it from time to time.

Yes I do think that is true. I said BEFORE the humans started bumping off the SL. Yes they do want to beat the Asgard but enough to actually work on it? I doubt it. If a race wanted to conquer the Gou'ald or exterminate them they would probably make some major advancements quickly. The Goa'uld live thousands of years they aren't in any real hurry to beat the Asgard. Hell, the Asgard are going to die off in a 10 or so millenia anyway due to their cloning problems. Why fight some huge war that they might lose and would certainly cost a lot of SL their lives? Now the humans are a different problem.
            As far as the Jaffa go I think you misunderstand me. Of course the Goa'uld want the Jaffa to live. But they don't care much about improving the Jaffa's lives. Why should they care about cutting infant mortality? Helping Jaffa's wives live through childbirth? Making sure Jaffa children get inoculated? If a major diesease threatened to wipe out a large percentage of their slaves then the Goa'uld would swoop in and save them with their "godlike" powers to make their worshippers that much more grateful. But improving their slaves lives would cause problems (for the Goa'uld) that would have to be dealt with eventually.

Comment

Well, I'm willing to agree to disagree. After all, I'm now seeing red for my "close-minded opinion" I think that was how he put it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                Well, I'm willing to agree to disagree. After all, I'm now seeing red for my "close-minded opinion" I think that was how he put it.
                Well, ya know, you're makng the Goa'uld out to be brainless, unintelligent idiots who steal everything and take credit for it. Ya know, these brainless snakes were flying huge, advanced ships 12,000 - 20,000 years ago. Their ships don't resemble any other ship we've seen so far. It's a good possibility they invented their own ship tech. In fact, the only tech they have pilfered from the Ancients, or anyone else for that matter, seems to be the ring transporters, using the gates, and the healing hand device and sarcophagus. Maybe a few other things here and there, but their ships do not resembler puddle jumpers, their weapons are not the squid thingys, and their ribbon device is totally unlike anything we've seen before.

Yet, you think they are not creators or innovators? I bet you think the Asgard are jsut super smart and innovative little guys, huh? They actually knew and worked with the Ancients, the Goa'uld did not. How do you know the Ancients weren't like some rich daddy and just gave the Asgard their tech? You know, instead of earning it the Goa'uld, who retro-engineered or created their own, the Ancients, who were buddies of the Asgard, just showed them FTL tech or gave them old ships. You know, the inside of that one Asgard ship in "Fifth Race" looked sorta like parts of Atlantis

The Goa'uld are intelligent, creative, and innovative snakes; they have done a lot in the time they've been in power in this galaxy. We aren't much better: hell SG-1's mission is to acquire alien tech. The Prometheus is hardly our creation; it was created from Goauld tech and given some modifications with Asgard help.

All I'm saying is, be more open to this idea. Daniel has strong feelings; he has voiced those opinions about the Goa'uld on many episodes, but he isn't always right, and sometimes he was speculating.

Comment

I do give them credit for being smart enough to get out of the water! It's not all bad...even though they tend to be; with the exception of the Tok"ra.

Comment

Working...
                  X