Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is everyone picking on poor Wesley? LOL. Yeah, he was pretty much the most annoying character in ST history.

Are we talking the worst idea within the various storylines of the episodes or the series itself? If we're talking the latter, I would have to pick killing off Trip in Enteprise. It was just stupid to end things that way. Of course, making the final episode of Enterprise a TNG episode didn't make much sense either. How could they expect the fans to respect Enterprise if the writers/producers didn't?
    sigpic

Comment

one of the worse ideas in Star Trek ever : in Voyager season 5, having species 8472 pose as humans

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
        one of the worse ideas in Star Trek ever : in Voyager season 5, having species 8472 pose as humans
        you mean In The Flesh, the ep itself wasn't that awful imo (except for the end) however the premise definitely is. I mean do they really want to make us believe that Species 8472 will attack the Federation because of one little ship in the Delta Quadrant? that's just stupid
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One
          you mean In The Flesh, the ep itself wasn't that awful imo (except for the end) however the premise definitely is. I mean do they really want to make us believe that Species 8472 will attack the Federation because of one little ship in the Delta Quadrant? that's just stupid
          the aliens thought that humans were allied with the borg plus they had different reasons to purge the galaxy (ie. its proximity was a threat to their genetic purity or something)

then again upon perusing the intel they got from the borg they should've quickly realized that the borg were not friends but foes of the federation & pretty much everyone else in the MW

but that wasn't really the problem

when they first introduced species 8472 it was the "cool new thing", an ancient & mysterious race with several unique characteristics, such as 1) coming from another universe, and better yet 2) even more advanced than the borg (thus the 1st time the borg were threatened, they were no longer the dominant entity in the MW)
          furthermore 8472 is telepathic so they never speak, further adding to the mystery

all in all an ideal "replacement" for the borg who were mysterious in their own right - in TnG anyway - but still too humanoid-looking (unlike 8472 & their monstrous & very alien appearance)

basically the ST-verse needed something new & different and it needed it badly, and 8472 fitted the bill perfectly

but then came in the flesh which completely dispelled that mysterious aspect. a bit like what they did with the borg in the same series but much more unforgivable (the borg at least were humanoid so it wasn't that bad)

in short it made 8472 too familiar, which imo was a very, very bad idea

nb. that ep also showed what a lousy tactician Janeway was
          sure she handled the negociations well at first, but then came the part where they spoke of trading technology - 8472 asked for the specs of the borg nanoprobes...and that would be fine I suppose as long as 8472 agreed to a peace treaty (that wasn't even the case iirc)...but then Janeway asked for their genetic alteration tech in return - WTF ???

bloody hell, they're giving 8472 the only weapon that can kill them, wouldn't the only logical choice for any leader with a quarter of a brain be to ask for their own weapons tech in return ? for example those nifty bioship guns that could rip through borg shileds & which the federation would no doubt find extremely useful (and not just against the borg)

if anything what Janeway did during those negociations was almost akin to treason as it put the entire federation at risk (if not the entire galaxy)
          Last edited by SoulReaver; 14 January 2008, 12:50 PM.

Comment

the aliens thought that humans were allied with the borg plus they had different reasons to purge the galaxy (ie. its proximity was a threat to their genetic purity or something)

then again upon perusing the intel they got from the borg they should've quickly realized that the borg were not friends but foes of the federation & pretty much everyone else in the MW

but that wasn't really the problem

when they first introduced species 8472 it was the "cool new thing", an ancient & mysterious race with several unique characteristics, such as 1) coming from another universe, and better yet 2) even more advanced than the borg (thus the 1st time the borg were threatened, they were no longer the dominant entity in the MW)
            furthermore 8472 is telepathic so they never speak, further adding to the mystery

all in all an ideal "replacement" for the borg who were mysterious in their own right - in TnG anyway - but still too humanoid-looking (unlike 8472 & their monstrous & very alien appearance)

basically the ST-verse needed something new & different and it needed it badly, and 8472 fitted the bill perfectly

but then came in the flesh which completely dispelled that mysterious aspect. a bit like what they did with the borg in the same series but much more unforgivable (the borg at least were humanoid so it wasn't that bad)

in short it made 8472 too familiar, which imo was a very, very bad idea

nb. that ep also showed what a lousy tactician Janeway was
            sure she handled the negociations well at first, but then came the part where they spoke of trading technology - 8472 asked for the specs of the borg nanoprobes...and that would be fine I suppose as long as 8472 agreed to a peace treaty (but that wasn't even the case iirc)...but then Janeway asked for their genetic alteration tech in return - WTF ???

bloody hell, they're giving 8472 the only weapon that can kill them, wouldn't the only logical choice for any leader with a quarter of a brain be to ask for their own weapons tech in return ? for example those nifty bioship guns that could rip through borg shileds & which the federation would no doubt find extremely useful (and not just against the borg)

if anything what Janeway did during those negociations was almost akin to treason as it put the entire federation at risk (if not the entire galaxy)

And yet lo and behold they promoted her to Admiral. Go figure
            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

I agrey:

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity
                And yet lo and behold they promoted her to Admiral. Go figure
                and having someone like her give Picard orders...

what has Starfleet come to

Comment

and having someone like her give Picard orders...

what has Starfleet come to

POSSIBLE PLOT HOLE..........

Did "End Game" happen before events in Nemesis or after?

Because if future Janeway changed history and we see her
                  being asiimilated, maybe a future Borg Queen (that's my theory)
                  and history has changed shouldn't Janway not be an admiral?

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity
                    POSSIBLE PLOT HOLE..........

Did "End Game" happen before events in Nemesis or after?

Because if future Janeway changed history and we see her
                    being asiimilated, maybe a future Borg Queen (that's my theory)
                    and history has changed shouldn't Janway not be an admiral?
                    well the present in end game is before nemesis, obviously :|

as for the future in end game (ie. admiral janeway, seven & chakotay being dead, tuvok gone bonkers etc.) is of course way, waaay after nemesis (supposing nemesis ever took place at the same moment in this alternate timeline)

in the "normal" timeline janeway is still admiral after her return to alpha quadrant, but this is believable enough as starfleet may have deemed her "exploits" in the delta quadrant over the past decade worthy of such a promotion

Comment

Well... DS9 had to be the best series for me, followed by the Next Generation.

I never did watch much of the Original Series, as I was quite young when it was on, though I probably have seen all of the episodes. I am not a fan of Voyager though. Granted I watched the show (it is Trek), but the entire plot and such were seriously over-rated.

I mean, an Intrepid Class blowing through Borg Cubes? They just ruined the Borg by the end of Voyager. To use the Borg in anything again would only turn out as a faliure.

Enterprise on the other hand, I didn't actually mind. Yes it was back in the past, and yes there were loads of races we'd seen there that we've never seen before again. However, if you think back to TOS, and the TMP movies, how many species did we see there that we've not ever seen again?
                      sigpic
                      It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Some really bad ideas....

Troi taking a correspondence course and a few night school classes and going from counciler to bridge officer......if it's that easy what do they need Star Fleet Academy for??

The Nexus

Making "Enterprise" a prequel

Killing off (fill in the blank)

TNG Season 7.....crew members turning into giant spiders and other goofy animals, walking around with straws sticking out of their heads...what were they thinking?

2 Words...."Spock's Brain"

And, some really good ideas....

The DS9 / "Trouble With Tribbles" combo ep

"I'm a Doctor not a _______" / "Captain, I canna do it, I need more time!!"

"Q"

The Prime Directive...If they didn't have it, how could Kirk ignore it?

Ensign Ro

The mini skirt uniforms in original Trek

One Word....."KHHHHAAAAANNNN!!!!"

Bill K

Comment

The other good thing they did was
                          Tasha Yar's sister

I still can't get over that costume, and how revealing it was
                          for TNG. Nothing was left to the imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Tycoon View Post
                            I mean, an Intrepid Class blowing through Borg Cubes? They just ruined the Borg by the end of Voyager.
                            not really, those were very special weapons from the future

in fact in the same episode the borg are still shown to be impervious to conventional firepower (the borg sphere is attacked by a fleet of federation ships waiting at the exit aperture and is apparently undamaged before Voyager arrives)

and remember s5 (Drone) - when voyager fires at the borg sphere, the phazer blast "bounces" back on voyager (7/9 says they've "inverted the phazer beam with a feedback pulse" or something), that's quite a hi-tech display as it's the only time in the entire star trek storyline that a ship has been shown to pull off such a trick (plus voyager's phazers were upgraded by the 29th century drone so those weren't even conventional phazers !)

I'll agree though voyager made the borg appear less dangerous, perhaps because it made them too familiar. at some point species 8472 could've replaced the borg as the new "mysterious & all-powerful enemy" but s5's in the flesh ruined that :/

Comment

Working...
                            X