Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    61

    Default Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    You know how when the teams are out "exploring" and when they think they've seen something they try to halt the group as quickly and silently as possible with an abrupt raising of the arm with the hand in a fist. In both Atlantis and SG1 episodes I've seen members go bumping into other members because they were talking or not paying attention and walked into people that had stopped. So why not just say "halt!" or something if the situation is not a bad-guys-around-the-corner level of dangerous... sometimes it also seems a silly convention considering how many non-civilians and aliens are in the teams...

  2. #2
    Captain marty2006's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,600

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    Well the person who does it is part of the military and have been trained to do that, also tptb do it to make the show more realistic by using military actions and jargon etc.

  3. #3
    Captain rlr149's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural Z alpha
    Posts
    1,775

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    if you say halt it alerts a potential enemy and stops you from hearing it as well as you could, lets face it SO and recon teams are usually behind enemy lines, thus shouting stop wouldn't be a good idea even primitive hunters would have something similar.

    fact is a real SO team wouldn't be whittering on, or shouldn't anyway
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

  4. #4
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    843

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    Quote Originally Posted by placid View Post
    You know how when the teams are out "exploring" and when they think they've seen something they try to halt the group as quickly and silently as possible with an abrupt raising of the arm with the hand in a fist. In both Atlantis and SG1 episodes I've seen members go bumping into other members because they were talking or not paying attention and walked into people that had stopped. So why not just say "halt!" or something if the situation is not a bad-guys-around-the-corner level of dangerous... sometimes it also seems a silly convention considering how many non-civilians and aliens are in the teams...
    The only ones who would go bumping in would be people like Felger or Zelenka etc & if it was to happen, it'd be in a funny ep like 'The Other Guys' or whatever. O'Neill has used it with Teal'c through years. I'm sure Shep & co have taught Teyla & Ronon it as well. The rest of the SG-1 teams are all military personnel, so I'm sure they have no problems with it.

    Simply it's what they do in real life militiaries around the world. So it's obviously efficient & effective otherwise they wouldn't be using it.

    If you detect danger or a threat then there is no way in hell you'll be risking telling them to halt & potentially give your position away or alert the enemy to your presence. That's the whole reason the hand signals were made up so that orders could be given without the need for verbal communications. If they had civilians tagging along on dangerous missions, then I'm sure there would be a problem, but it doesn't happen often, so I don't see any problem. Especially since it's authentic techniques that are used in real life by regular military soldiers to S.W.A.T to special ops members.

  5. #5
    Captain Mousie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    If you watch 'Seth', in the scene in which SG1 break into the compound they start off using the military hand signals to coordiante their approch. Daniel is perfectly comfortable using it, probably because he has now been in so many potentially hostile situations he sees its value.

  6. #6
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,108

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    Quote Originally Posted by placid View Post
    You know how when the teams are out "exploring" and when they think they've seen something they try to halt the group as quickly and silently as possible with an abrupt raising of the arm with the hand in a fist. In both Atlantis and SG1 episodes I've seen members go bumping into other members because they were talking or not paying attention and walked into people that had stopped. So why not just say "halt!" or something if the situation is not a bad-guys-around-the-corner level of dangerous... sometimes it also seems a silly convention considering how many non-civilians and aliens are in the teams...
    Generally, the only one who's not paying attention is Dr. McKay, because he's too busy complaining or bragging about how smart he is.

    I like McKay, but I wish Ronan would punch him in the gut for talking too much. lol

  7. #7
    Lieutenant Colonel Krisz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cloverdale,British Columbia,Canada
    Posts
    4,777

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    I like the way they did a little tongue in cheek joke of this in 'Moebius'. When they are on Chulak to recruit the alternate timeline Teal'c Jack does the stop sign. All but Daniel and 'geeky' Sam crouch down leaving them standing looking bewildered for a moment before they follow suit.

    I guess it takes time to get the civilian parts of the SG teams to accept this sort of signal and react automatically to it.

  8. #8
    General the fifth man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.
    Posts
    34,107

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    I like the way they did a little tongue in cheek joke of this in 'Moebius'. When they are on Chulak to recruit the alternate timeline Teal'c Jack does the stop sign. All but Daniel and 'geeky' Sam crouch down leaving them standing looking bewildered for a moment before they follow suit.

    I guess it takes time to get the civilian parts of the SG teams to accept this sort of signal and react automatically to it.
    That was a great little moment in "Moebius".

    It would definitely take civilians time to get used to watching for and reacting to such signals.

    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

  9. #9
    Major
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    De Profundis Ad Lucem
    Posts
    2,734

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    I knew that hand signal before I joined the military. It always seemed pretty universal to me what it meant.

  10. #10
    Captain rlr149's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural Z alpha
    Posts
    1,775

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    ^^ shouldn't that be "global", or if not, how much of the universe have you visited?
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

  11. #11
    Captain Mousie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    I guess it takes time to get the civilian parts of the SG teams to accept this sort of signal and react automatically to it.
    But it shouldn't though. Perhaps it should be considered a requirement for being allowed offworld! Considering they are going into space and to other planets where literally anything can happen, all scientists who may go on missions should be put through a boot camp - they should be competant with basic weapons and military signals, first aid ect.

    The military members of the team are there to protect them but we all know they could be captured or injured or anything else and it might fall to the scientists to help them out.

  12. #12
    Lieutenant Colonel Krisz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cloverdale,British Columbia,Canada
    Posts
    4,777

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    Quote Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
    But it shouldn't though. Perhaps it should be considered a requirement for being allowed offworld! Considering they are going into space and to other planets where literally anything can happen, all scientists who may go on missions should be put through a boot camp - they should be competant with basic weapons and military signals, first aid ect.

    The military members of the team are there to protect them but we all know they could be captured or injured or anything else and it might fall to the scientists to help them out.
    It makes sense of course but not every person is suited to the rigours of a boot camp. If you need a specialist for a certain job though, you can guarantee that he/she may not fare very well with physical/military style training but you still need their expertise. Daniel was a case in point, it took him a long time to take on board why all these little things were important despite constant reminders from O'Neill!

    Remember James Spader's Daniel Jackson in the Movie, going through the standard pack and wondering why half the stuff was in there and just throwing it over his shoulder. The other members of the team in turn couldn't understand what he was doing with throwing away stuff that could end up saving his life. Throwing his books in turn down the sand dune was their way of trying to show him what was important. This was a good example of how it's not that easy to impress valuable survival techniques on civilians, especially ones whose help you need!

  13. #13
    Captain Mousie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,432

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    It makes sense of course but not every person is suited to the rigours of a boot camp. If you need a specialist for a certain job though, you can guarantee that he/she may not fare very well with physical/military style training but you still need their expertise. Daniel was a case in point, it took him a long time to take on board why all these little things were important despite constant reminders from O'Neill!

    Remember James Spader's Daniel Jackson in the Movie, going through the standard pack and wondering why half the stuff was in there and just throwing it over his shoulder. The other members of the team in turn couldn't understand what he was doing with throwing away stuff that could end up saving his life. Throwing his books in turn down the sand dune was their way of trying to show him what was important. This was a good example of how it's not that easy to impress valuable survival techniques on civilians, especially ones whose help you need!
    Yeah I get that, I just meant as the SGC is a long term base (not just a single mission) they could train the scientists to some degree, even if it's just things like the military sign language (or just the basics of it). I know it wouldn't work all the time though.

  14. #14
    Captain rlr149's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural Z alpha
    Posts
    1,775

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    to be honest, if they're smart enough to be on the SGC project as a whole, just show them the gate and say "learn to 'soldier' properly and you can play with that"
    I'd do it without a second thought
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

  15. #15
    Captain Dutch_Razor's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    A galaxy not so far away...
    Posts
    1,945

    Default Re: Efficiency of "held fist" stop motion for SG team stopping team

    Realistically some things that have to be explained to team members would get them fired IRL I'd say, like Vala going offworld and not knowing what to do when they make human contact?!

Similar Threads

  1. Creating an SG team! What's your ideal team!?
    By j619pinoy in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
  2. "New Show from Stargate SGI and Stargate Atlantis Team"
    By MediaSavant in forum SGA News (Archive)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: December 6th, 2006, 05:02 AM
  3. "A funny kind of love for a team"
    By Rottie in forum Fan Fiction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
  4. SG team "jobs"
    By Saber_Dart in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 5th, 2006, 05:59 AM
  5. Ending the Series: "Team" concept overrated
    By Adamixoye in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: November 28th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •