No announcement yet.

The GLBT and GSA Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with that is that as it is never mentioned or hinted at with a girlfriend or a date that it feels like lipservice to the audience. If it was never important mentioning it before with f.e. a date or an off-hand remark about a girlfriend, then they shouldn't have made a note to mention it at the end either.

Feels like, "oh hey, look how cool and modern we are with this character that we just decided was always gay but never mentioned or hinted at... oh, and we're firing her so no more of her after this."
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The problem with that is that as it is never mentioned or hinted at with a girlfriend or a date that it feels like lipservice to the audience. If it was never important mentioning it before with f.e. a date or an off-hand remark about a girlfriend, then they shouldn't have made a note to mention it at the end either.

Feels like, "oh hey, look how cool and modern we are with this character that we just decided was always gay but never mentioned or hinted at... oh, and we're firing her so no more of her after this."
      I don't see it that way. Serena's orientation had absolutely nothing to do with her role in the show, so there was no need to bring it up, period. If the show was about the a bordello and it's people, well, I can see it. It would be relevant to the shows stories. But in a cop show, with a character who is a lawyer? Totally irrelevant, and bringing it up would have been pointless, until the final scene where she wondered if she was being fired because of it.

It would have been ridiculous to make a point of any other character's orientation because it had no relevance, why wouldn't it be ridiculous for a lesbian character?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        I don't see it that way. Serena's orientation had absolutely nothing to do with her role in the show, so there was no need to bring it up, period. If the show was about the a bordello and it's people, well, I can see it. It would be relevant to the shows stories. But in a cop show, with a character who is a lawyer? Totally irrelevant, and bringing it up would have been pointless, until the final scene where she wondered if she was being fired because of it.

It would have been ridiculous to make a point of any other character's orientation because it had no relevance, why wouldn't it be ridiculous for a lesbian character?
        And that's the problem -- if it was never relevant to bring it up, then why suddenly bring it up when she's fired. I mean, that makes zero sense, and feels like they wanted to say "hey look, we have a gay character, did you know".

Stuff like that doesn't sit well with me as it feels like a fake attempt of "inclusion". If it was never relevant, then don't mention it later either. I mean, what's the point?

On a different topic: MY PRIDE-THEMED CONVERSE ALL-STARS ARRIVED IN THE MAIL THIS WEEK and they are -- in my sister's words -- COOL!!

Black shoes with lots of rainbow touches.

Comment

And that's the problem -- if it was never relevant to bring it up, then why suddenly bring it up when she's fired. I mean, that makes zero sense, and feels like they wanted to say "hey look, we have a gay character, did you know".

Stuff like that doesn't sit well with me as it feels like a fake attempt of "inclusion". If it was never relevant, then don't mention it later either. I mean, what's the point?
          It's a legitimate question when she's getting fired. Anti-discrimination laws and such, which are particularly strong in NY, where the show is set. Also, I think the primary reason she was canned was that her personal political views didn't jive with her being a prosecutor of crimes. This was shown over several eps leading up to her departure.

On a different topic: MY PRIDE-THEMED CONVERSE ALL-STARS ARRIVED IN THE MAIL THIS WEEK and they are -- in my sister's words -- COOL!!

Black shoes with lots of rainbow touches.
          Great. Another Imelda Marcos in training. 3,426,584 pairs of shoes.

Comment

Great. Another Imelda Marcos in training. 3,426,584 pairs of shoes.
            I only have... err... 3,426,578 shoes to go then, cause with the new pair included I have just 6 pairs of shoes (not counting the 2 pairs of walking shoes).

Comment

Question. Why hasn't this thread been closed? Maybe it was far down enough so that it was just forgotten, but It is just as off-topic, volatile and prone to rancorous discussions as any of the other political or religious threads.

If this wasn't oversight, what is the rationale for leaving it open?

Comment

The rationale so far for keeping this thread open is simply that politics and religion aren't inherently part of every discussion.

As the title says: it's main purpose is as a support group.

ie:
                To emotionally support GLBT+ and GSA GateWorlders and anyone else who wants to support them through their coming out,transitioning, or other relevant issues.

From January 2020 the rules and FAQ more fully reflect the policy of inclusion that we want to stengthen,and that's all that really needs to be said at this point.Also see the Forum - wide Announcement and this thread: GateWorld Forum: 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by FAQ
                GateWorld affirms the unique value and dignity of all people. The Stargate family is diverse and wonderful, and we welcome and affirm all people whatever their race, nationality, gender, sexuality, religion, or creed.
                We noticed that Lilith's opening post is missing the animated gifs that were effectively her way of describing what I just posted on behalf of the GateWorld Staff,so I've added into her post as best I can.
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Hi all

Comment

Friends:

Please keep this thread on topic.
                    This is a support thread for all GLBT+ and GSA GateWorlders, within the bounds of the newly updated Forum Rules.

Discussions of why the thread is open, and hypothesizing about what members might or might not post here, are off-topic and will be deleted. Please PM the moderators if you have questions.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Meh
                      sigpic
                      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Anti-discrimination laws
                        /!\ politics alert /!\

Comment

@ Bagpuss
                          Thanks for the explanation. Reasonable and acceptable.

Originally posted by Ascended Jonas View Post
                          Hi all
                          Hi!

Comment

Hi all,
                            If it is of interest to anyone, in Switzerland it is now unlawful to discriminate anyone because of their sexual orientation

Comment

Another country catching up to modern times...

Comment

Another country you can hide from Soul?
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X