This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British culture discussion thread

Hi im sure that there is a thread related to this, and i have seen discussions about britain around GW before but I wanted to create a thread where Britain can be discussed in terms of culture and its influence on culture globally. I live in Britain, im not a typical nationalist but i do respect the role the nation has played in cutlure and i do love the general atmosphere of britain.
    As the political leaders try to define what it is to be british, britishness and all that i think it would be a good idea for GW members to try and show what britain is all about. I dont know what it means to be british, i understand the concept and the stereotypes but how close to reality are they?
    A typcial british stereotype is the stiff upper lip, noble gentleman riding through the countryside being polite and lovely. That one is nothing close to reality, i dont think anyone in britain is like that.
    Personally i find britishness reflected in one thing, our entertainment. I think the entertainment industry shows a nation to be what it is better than any political system or statistic. The music, television and film and literature industry is where britain is IMO.
    British humour is something i am most proud about our country because i think its the best, honestly in the world. Its intelligent, witty, sarcastic, thoughtful, it covers and permeates all genres, it shows who we are IMO. Now obviously our comedians cover different topics, but generally i think witty, self abusive(the ability to laugh at ourselves), perverse, sarcastic and random humour is the key to understanding us. If you dont get british humour its very hard to understand britain. Bill Bailey or Stephen Fry are great examples of the things above, monty python is the quintestianlly british comedy but alot of other great ones and great shows which do justice to us.
    British music on the other hand is almost the mirror image to our humour, its a balencing force in a way. We have great humour but our music is quite radical, there is alot of anger but alot of emotion as well. Most of the 90's was about brit pop, brit indie. About changing things and telling the stories of the underclasses, breaking out of the shell. Britain aas produced some of the best musicians in the world ever. THe Beatles, the who, the Clash,, Elton John, Oasis, Queen, Bowie, Madness, the Smiths, the police, T-rex. There are so many bands which are great that its hard to name them all.
    I have been talking about British culture in the Homo/bi character, and the openness to accept new cultures and ways of life. Its my opinion that britain is a very open nation, its not an arrgogent nation and while its hard to pin down britishness i think one of the things which is definable the acceptance of others and just getting on with what needs to be done.

Id like to know, from both britains how you think britain's culture affects the world or has influcenced it. Or how you (if you arent from the UK) have been influenced by it.
    Also what are peoples thoughts on the whole Britishness debate, our culture and the stereotypes? What do other people think of the british in general? what do you like about the culture?

Hope this can get a response and debate because its something that interests me, i speak to so many people around the world that its hard to know what the perception of britain is. I think it would be good to know.

Immhotep

ps mods if this is a repeat thread, merge it in to the most popular of the topic; when i searched britain i got so many response that i couldnt narrow it down.
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

two words: RED DWARF
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

britishness is what you make of it, basically it is all about respecting the country and the fact that we love it even when we hate it...if that makes sense...drugs are all over the place, murders and what not but its not as bad as other countries...Britian is all about wanting to be the next big thing, to go past what everone has done in the past but hten falling short after a long journey....Being british is something that you have to love...like you saw, entertainmnet is amazing! comedians...lee evans legend! films..Lock stock two smoking barrels..legend!...i just love been a britan and thats all it has to with, knowing who and what you are and respecting hte country for giving you that
      DR.RYO

Comment

Working...
      X