X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will McKay call Sheppard "John" in Season 4? And

would you want him to?

Me, I've been waiting for it since the first episode.
    I have my fingers crossed it will be in Season 4.

Even if I was good friends with him, I'd still just call him "Shep". I think that's what his Air Force buddies called him too.

Comment

I do hope so. I'm waiting for the ultimate crisis that brings about a powerful moment of emotional catharsis in their relationship where the 'John' becomes inevitable. Ooh, the scenarios! And not just the slashy ones, tho' those are my faves obviously
      sigpic
      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

The best thing is to address people in the way they prefer rather than automatically using their given name. After all, Rodney hates being addressed as Meredith even though it's his first given name.
        sigpic

Comment

I hope so, IMO it's long overdue, though I think it would require Sheppard being in grave danger or something for TPTB to throw it in there. Perhaps like in The Quest on SG1 when Mitchell finally called Daniel "Daniel".

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

Ive always found it strange in tv shows that people call each other by their second names like the xfiles for example mulder and scully.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
              Ive always found it strange in tv shows that people call each other by their second names like the xfiles for example mulder and scully.
              It goes two ways actually. I know I had a friend who found it completely disrespectful to be called by her last name. While in other parts of society it's basically welcomed and allowed. I find that the secondary name promotes a sense of "separatist" ideology.

It's cold, formal, and far from personable. An interesting point is that in X-Files, CC managed to have the characters turn secondary names into romantic endearments (Yeah, i was feeling Krychek/Skinner/Mulder).
              ------------------------------------------------------------

In response to the topic...I thought he had called Sheppard John in Submersion. Although that could have been wishful thinking on my part. I'd like to see McKay call Sheppard ----John. I'd like to see that in an emotionally impacting scene. I've moved away a bit from McShep love, but it would be great to see. Maybe I can hope for some handholding if anything.
              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                An interesting point is that in X-Files, CC managed to have the characters turn secondary names into romantic endearments (Yeah, i was feeling Krychek/Skinner/Mulder).
                From what I remember of the X-Files, Mulder loathed being called Fox. This doesn't explain why everyone else used their surnames, though, even when they were off duty.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird View Post
                  would you want him to?

Me, I've been waiting for it since the first episode.
                  I have my fingers crossed it will be in Season 4.
                  I've been desperate to hear Rodney say 'John' for so long that I can't even remember when I first wanted to hear it!

When other team members called Sheppard by his first name, I've loved it, and can tell you in which episode each character first said it.

I don't think Rodney will say 'John' in season 4. I REALLY hope he does, but I've almost given up now.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                    From what I remember of the X-Files, Mulder loathed being called Fox. This doesn't explain why everyone else used their surnames, though, even when they were off duty.
                    Any one who was an avid watcher of the show new that Mulder's first name was Fox and probably that he hated it (I think that was brought up in 3 episodes---or whenever he spoke to his mum (he always seemed to flinch). As you can see from my post, I don't know why they never addressed each other by first names even off duty. I think I heard Skinner call Scully, Dana a few times. Or maybe, I'm just projecting when Hammond called Scully, Dana.--->X-Files was a long time ago.

Again, that's why I thought CC did very well in building the relationship of the characters where I didn't see the isolationistic aspect of secondary name usage. As I said, CC managed to turn last names romantic.
                    Last edited by vaberella; 07 July 2007, 07:58 AM.

Comment

It's actually becoming more common to see people using surnames in television. X-Files, CSI, NCIS, etc, Law and Order (all of them). I think it's all based on personal preference, rank, formality, etc. Also, people with eccentric names might use surnames instead of first names. Names like Kelly (which is I guess ambiguous to sex, I actually knew a male named Kelly), they may wish to use their surnames instead.
                      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I don't think McKay would call Sheppard 'John.' I sorta like "colonel" and "Sheppard" more. It's just, well, it's the way Rodney is.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                          In response to the topic...I thought he had called Sheppard John in Submersion. Although that could have been wishful thinking on my part. I'd like to see McKay call Sheppard ----John. I'd like to see that in an emotionally impacting scene.
                          That was Ronon that called him John in Submersion. I thought the perfect time would have been in The Ark when McKay says "Don't do this. It's impossible."

However, at this point, it might be more interesting as a throw away line or in a snarky comeback.

Originally posted by prion View Post
                          I don't think McKay would call Sheppard 'John.' I sorta like "colonel" and "Sheppard" more. It's just, well, it's the way Rodney is.
                          Rodney calls everyone else by their first names: Ronon, Teyla, Carson, Elizabeth, Radek. But it is kinda Rodney to address him as Colonel or Sheppard.
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana
                          My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                            It's actually becoming more common to see people using surnames in television. X-Files, CSI, NCIS, etc, Law and Order (all of them). I think it's all based on personal preference, rank, formality, etc. Also, people with eccentric names might use surnames instead of first names. Names like Kelly (which is I guess ambiguous to sex, I actually knew a male named Kelly), they may wish to use their surnames instead.
                            No, I disagree with you, not everyone everyone's surname is Smith. My sister's last name is Greek. In bootcamp they had to shorten her 11 letter last name to a 5 letter nickname because no one pronounces it right. Dude, she was still filling in circles 15 minutes into the SAT's because her full name is so long, last count it was over 25 letters (my mum didnt think about the SAT's when she was naming my sister).

At this point I think it's probably due to occupation as you mentioned.
                            Last edited by vaberella; 07 July 2007, 12:00 PM.

Comment

its due to the military standing of all of them... since hes the only team member in the military he gets that, i mean his character is the type to like being called by their higher rank/status - he likes to be called dr. mckay by ppl... zelenka is lower than him so he says radak when talking to him and when refering to him to others lower than him... like a lower scientist, he will say dr. zelenka... and when talking to him to say weir he will call him just zelenka
                              -lets see what he says to carter... id guess col. carter and not sam (even though he likes her)
                              - he also says col. caldwell and maj. lorne and lt. ford (but after ford goes rogue he only calls him ford)

-weir is more personal so she calls every1 by their first names + shes a civilian

-i dont see it happening unless theres a "shades of grey" type episode for shep this season
                              ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

Working...
                              X