Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no doubt in my mind that TPTB of Stargate are utterly incapable of treating an openly gay character with even an ounce of respect, sincerity or realism. I'm betting it'd be painful, childish and borderline offensive and that he (or she) would probably be nothing but a one-dimensional joke.

Comment

which is the only reason i'd rather they not do it. NOt because i wouldn't want to see it, but because, if they're gonna do it, they should do it 'right'
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but if we leave TPTB out of the equation and pretend for one glorious moment that Stargate has a team of mature, professional writers who can write mature, professional stories...

Comment

Ummm.... Thats the only reason I was slightly worried when I heard there could be a gay character is SGA, for one its to late to make a big deal out of it on the show. However this could be a very good sounding board for Stargate Universe, I just hope that the writers are very careful in there approach to a "gay character", because if not they will do what they always do with a character they have mis-written and kill them off In a completely stupid pointless manner and then plan to bring them back next season
          A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

They should have russell T do a special edition.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              which is the only reason i'd rather they not do it. NOt because i wouldn't want to see it, but because, if they're gonna do it, they should do it 'right'
              I fully agree Skydiver. In fact for me, the handling of the Jack / Ianto relationship was one of the few things introduced in season one of Torchwood that was good, which was nicely built upon in season two. To me Torchwood still has a few things on the writing front it needs to sort out, but this was the first indicator that the series writers actually had some idea they wanted to make the series work!

As to the StarGate TPTB, I have noticed an alarming trend of them testing the water with "Wouldn't this be cool because?" aspects. I mean, why announce a character was going to be gay, when you have already eliminated that character? - Unless you want to test reaction for something you are planning further down the road. - If this is how planning research is being conducted, I don't feel it bodes very well.
              Sexuality is like, well, natural eye colour, or how many arms you have. Its part of who you are, end of story. Making a song and dance about it makes no sense, unless your premise can work the complexity and dynamics of human characteristics and behaviour.

Except for Dr Who and Buffy, (neither of which which doesn't go into heavy handed details deliberately, knowing its not neccesary) I have yet to see any Sci FI series pull of this human characteristc in a realistic way. - Mores the pity.
              Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
              Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

if i wanted realism i wouldnt be watching this show. and yeah your right they will never do the gay thing right but for a different reason mainly because the show isnt supposed to deal with these kind of issues. if done it would be like watching brainstorm, take mckeller as an example; here we have an easy love triangle that was sticking out like a stubborn nail even though it was played out as subtle as possible. the show was not conceived for these things and morphing it will lead to trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                  They should have russell T do a special edition.
                  They should have Russell T do the whole damn show...

Originally posted by Dioxholster View Post
                  if i wanted realism i wouldnt be watching this show. and yeah your right they will never do the gay thing right but for a different reason mainly because the show isnt supposed to deal with these kind of issues. if done it would be like watching brainstorm, take mckeller as an example; here we have an easy love triangle that was sticking out like a stubborn nail even though it was played out as subtle as possible. the show was not conceived for these things and morphing it will lead to trouble.
                  The love triablge was already over by Brainstorm. And I thought Brainstorm was quite a loevly episode.
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Dioxholster View Post
                    if i wanted realism i wouldnt be watching this show...
                    ...the show isnt supposed to deal with these kind of issues....
                    ....the show was not conceived for these things and morphing it will lead to trouble.
                    Irronically, your own comments reflect the fact Atlantis itself has already "morphed" from what it was when it started, to something very different, leading into Universe. Or so it seems. As someone who loved SG1 from the start - (even though season 1 had some clunkers,) I feel that its already too late.

As someone once said, "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"
                    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

I don't really see what the big deal is, personally. Stargate doesn't really do romance/relationships often or in depth, but even so I think it would be more realistic if there were same-sex relationships at least hinted at.
                      sigpic
                      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                        I don't really see what the big deal is, personally. Stargate doesn't really do romance/relationships often or in depth, but even so I think it would be more realistic if there were same-sex relationships at least hinted at.
                        LOL....well put, if there is one thing we can all agree on, its that TPTB SUCK at "ships", lest we forget "McKeller"
                        A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

And on June 29th 2007 - the subject resurfaced again.

If any of the mods wish to close these threads before they run out of control, be my guest. I'm just cleaning up my subscriptions anyway.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                          X