This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homosexual/bisexual characters?

This has nothing to do with political correctness, but has anyone ever wanted to see a gay or lesbian character? I have! I think it would be an interest, innovative, and forward-thinking addition. Like, make Keller a lesbian or something. The show doesn't even need to focus on the fact that she'd be a lesbian... just treat it like any other straight ship.

I just think it'd be neat, especially considering a few subtle gay-bashes in the show LOL.

Vala: "You do like girls don't you..."

McKay: "What do you mean 'with a woman'?"

Oh, I'm aware that there have been gay threads in the past. But in the search, you can't search for "gay" because you can't search for a word that has less than four letters.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

i've never really thought about it before really.

Not an establised character obviously....perhaps someone we haven't seen much of like heightmyer or keller or even lorne but obviously not main characters. Would prefer not for them to act on it though (not cos i'm against it it's just becasue i hate ships. i think there's way too many of them) It can be just something they mention off hand.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      i've never really thought about it before really.

Not an establised character obviously....perhaps someone we haven't seen much of like heightmyer or keller or even lorne but obviously not main characters. Would prefer not for them to act on it though (not cos i'm against it it's just becasue i hate ships. i think there's way too many of them) It can be just something they mention off hand.

Why "obviously"?

LOL I'm not backing you into a corner or anything, I'm just curious as to what your take on it is.

Myself... I secretly would like to see Carter and Keller. Heh.

Comment

I have two questions:

Why should sexuality still be an issue? Why should people still be labelled?
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I prefer it remain an action adventure show and that all ship remain in the minds and imagination of the fans. Personal lives should stay personal. The recent on screen ship just reinforces that point IMHO.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
            I have two questions:

Why should sexuality still be an issue? Why should people still be labelled?
            That is a great question. My own take is that there isn't really gay or straight or anything, you're attracted to various personality traits, and societal conditioning makes people think that those are restricted to certain sexes.

That's why I said in the first post "the show doesn't even need to focus on the fact that she's a lesbian". They don't even need to say it. I mean, they don't say "well, since I'm straight, let's make out". They could just unfold a relationship between two women or two men, or anything, if not for the sole purpose of forward movement.

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
              Why "obviously"?

LOL I'm not backing you into a corner or anything, I'm just curious as to what your take on it is.

Myself... I secretly would like to see Carter and Keller. Heh.
              it's just because we know these characters (the main cahracters) suddenly making one gay or bi would just make it seem fake to me.

some of the other characters that we haven't seen outside of a work environment would be fine but not one of the current main characters just because it doesn't fit them. If they want to add another character which is gay or bi or have one in th next series is fine providing they don't make a big deal out of it or make them a complete stereotype.

Comment

As long as they don't do it just for the hell of it or for the shock-value, (look world! Stargate Atlantis has a gay/bi character! Watch our show!!) then I'm completely fine with it.

Comment

Well don't forget the sexual policies of the military. If we had to go 8 years of Jack/Sam weirdness and not acting on anything because of the UCMJ, then we couldn't have any outwardly homosexual military characters. On Atlantis, I don't think it would be an issue for anyone non-mil though.

Comment

Good points, all 'round.

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                    I prefer it remain an action adventure show and that all ship remain in the minds and imagination of the fans. Personal lives should stay personal. The recent on screen ship just reinforces that point IMHO.

The thing is, though... that'll never happen. Every time Sheppard gets a kiss from a cutie offworld, every time someone gets a date, or whatever, they're making a straight decision. The romance in Stargate, or anything, is unavoidable, because writers will always write it.

So, while they're at it, why not?

Comment

to e honest i don't mind stuff like the odd daliance with aliens or such.....i just don't like ships between main characters.

Comment

No gay/bi characters, let's keep Stargate: Atlantis a family show, please.

Comment

what's not family friendly about homosexual or bi chaacters?

Comment

^Good question.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                              No gay/bi characters, let's keep Stargate: Atlantis a family show, please.
                              Wow, thats just cruel!
                              So you are saying what exactly....? That homosexuals arent able to behave in the same fashion as those of the heterosexual comunity? Hmm... I disagree.
                              And no one said it had to be sexual or overly flaunted.

Comment

Working...
                              X