Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you hold on to something that you never want to lose?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you hold on to something that you never want to lose?

Okay, I was wondering if there are people like me who also have something, somehting materialistic that they can't distance themself from...
    I have a cross I got from my granny, and it means the world to me. I even lost it almost a year ago, and I panicked. Cause this really means the world to me. just cause it is from my granny. Now sadly enough she passed away, and it even has more value now. It is something I will always carry with me...No matter what.

So I wondered, what things do you value and why? And are little materialistic things, even if they are small really worht your protection and feeling and emotions. Cause in the end it is just something made. But why does something small can have that many value? Is it because it has a story behind it or because it is holding back to the future?

I hope this thread can be about respect about others and also only about honest answers...

I have a teddy bear my grandparents gave me the day i was born, it means even more to me now that they've both passed.

Comment

I has a necklace type thing always around my neck...I only take it off when I sleep.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I'm a complete hoarder...I keep everything.

I think that's because I've lost so many relatives, and so many of my belongings have memories attached to them, that I can't bear to part with them...I never throw anything out...when I decide to get rid of something, I always give it to someone or to a charity shop.
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
          I have a teddy bear my grandparents gave me the day i was born, it means even more to me now that they've both passed.
          Yep I know what you mean, it is strange but I feel like I am afraid of losing my cross, cause if I lose it then I also am losing my granny, even though she already passed away, it is like I am holding on to something like that, just so I don't lose her...

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
          I'm a complete hoarder...I keep everything.

I think that's because I've lost so many relatives, and so many of my belongings have memories attached to them, that I can't bear to part with them...I never throw anything out...when I decide to get rid of something, I always give it to someone or to a charity shop.
          See I also lost a lot of people, maybe a bit to much...but never was I collector, I mean yes of all the people I lost I have something...but never did I hold on to something. It is just in a box with me and will stay there. These are just things that are nice to have... But I can see why you hold on to them, that way they are always a bit with you eh... even though they are passed away. It is a piece of them with you...

Comment

My uncle was really good to me when I was a little girl, so much so that when I was really young my parents used to tell me that Santa visited his house with gifts for me too

I think he did that because my mum and dad could never afford to get me a lot, though they made up for it in other ways. He died when I was 9 and I was very close to him...Most of my toys were from him, and while I've let most of them go, there are some I can't bare to loose.

As for my grandparents...don't have much from them. We were never close. So it's a case of holding on to the few things that remind me of them. Don't know if I'll keep them forever though...bitter memories and all.

And I've got little bits and bobs from other people who've passed, and I'll always keep them
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Well, this isn't as poignant as that, but I've been a fan of Disney literally since before I was born. It's in my blood, and the very first Disney toy I ever got was brought to me from Disneyland when I was a wee infant getting my heart repaired (it had holes in it, still does, though none large enough now to cause any real problem, at least not any that can't be countered by medication) at Loma Linda hospital. It's a rubber Pluto toy which has long since lost the squeaker. Yeah, the idea of losing that Pluto (which I actually thought I did a couple of times) is not a good thing. Another toy is a Baby Donald Duck I got when I was like 5. I lost the clothes, said it's a girl and began calling her Ducky. Again, I would be more upset than probably makes sense to a lot of people if something ever happened to her.

Of course, more significantly, there's also the doll that my Grandma Lucille brought back from China. Grandma Lucille loved visiting different places, and she always brought back the neatest things for me and my sister, but that doll became my permanent favourite the moment I recieved her, and now that my Grandma Lucille has passed away, the doll is even more meaningful to me.

Comment

I don't have anything on the scale some of you guys are describing, but like sueKay, I'm a "hoarder" too. I still have my graphing calculator from highschool (that was 3 years ago), even though it's broken (I call it "Seven"). I have kept the same chair and table for the last 10 years or so, which is more than half of my life at the moment.

What really bothers me right now is that I have this Chinese-English dictionary that I brought from China when I got to Canada 10 years ago, and I can't seem to find it! It was a gift from my best friend at the time too! I'm horrible.

Comment

hey eve!!!

hmmm ... sry can't think of anything at the moment!!

well some people but ...

oops ... not what you meant eh!!!

*runs out quickly*

teehee!!
                  sigpic
                  SCORE!!
                  The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

*laughs* I was thinking about the people thing...

Comment

My laptop and my Linkin Park wallet. These was the first two things that I bought myself without the financial help of anyone else. (I used my first check to get these.) That made me feel really good about myself, that I can accomplish anything. I also felt that I gained alittle independence my dad.
                      There is a reason why I do certain stuff... and that is just 30 % of the time. The rest.. I just wing it.

Comment

I'm a hoarder too.....I have so many little things from members of my overseas family that I keep tucked away because I pretty much never see them, but when it comes down to it, the things that I'd grab if my house were on fire would be my baby blanket, a painting by my great grandpa, and my journals/writing folders- because those could never be replaced. I'm lucky enough that I've only ever lost two relatives in my life, so I don't have any massive attachment to much yet.

Comment

the wedding ring belonging to my grandma, i only ever take it off to bake, ive always loved it, and my mum passed it on to me as a kind of christmas present last year, i was thrilled, and it always reminds me of my wonderful grandma
                          sigpic

Comment

my ipod. LOL i know it sounds evil

but on a serious note i only wear two bracelets that i would never want to lose. one is a bracelet given to me by my aunt on my 18th birthday and the other is a bracelet that belonged to my hubbys mother.

and the last and most obvious is my enagement ring.

sigpic

I'm not dead. Yet.

Comment

I have a white gold ring, that my grandfather gave to my grandma, when they found out she was pregnant with my dad, I never met my father he died when I was 1yr old, and my grandpa he died 15 yrs before I was born, so I keep this ring to remind me of the love my grandparents had for each other, and to remember my father, and because my grandma gave me the ring the day I was leaving mexico to come to the USA, the ring had a pearl on it but I lost the real pearl a long time ago, but I got a fake one on it now, but maybe I'll get a real one someday!!!
                              sigpic
                              siggy made by RogueRanger
                              http://youtu.be/frhgT5CMpjo
                              killing threads one post at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X