Stargate SG-1: Farewell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate SG-1: Farewell

Celebrate the series finale of Stargate SG-1 with a special tribute, including behind-the-scenes photos from the last night of shooting.

READ MORE

To commemorate the Stargate SG-1 series finale in the U.S., we are have put together a very special send-off special feature for GateWorld. Stargate Productions has given us permission to post a gallery of amazing, behind-the-scenes photos from SG-1 final night of shooting. After the cameras stopped rolling and the director called "That's a wrap!" for the last time, there were lots of hugs, tears, and goodbyes.

Along with this gallery is included memories from the show's historic, 10-year run, including quotes from fans and from cast and crew on what a ride it has been. Now, it's your turn to share! Post your fond memories of Stargate SG-1 from your years watching the show. Think about things like:
    - the first time you discovered SG-1
    - when it became a must-watch
    - what you love about the show
    - which characters made it your favorite show and why
    - one or two moments from a specific episode that are particularly memorable or poignant to you

Thank you! We hope that GateWorld's SG-1 farewell and this thread will turn out to be a very special tribute to the show we all love, and a way to celebrate Stargate SG-1 as a community.
    Last edited by Darren; 23 June 2007, 01:00 AM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Hi, Darren!

What a terrific project. Thank you and thanks to Stargate Productions!

Some of my fond memories include:

* Watching Stargate SG-1 for the first time. We didn't have cable at the time, so I went to a friend's home to watch it "live." Loved it. Conned my friend into taping the episodes for the next two years until the city I lived in at the time finally got their political shenanigans out of the way, and granted a cable license. (Still have those tapes.)

* First favorite memory from an episode: from the pilot, "Children of the Gods." In part one, when Daniel is leaving Abydos to go back to Earth, and all the Abydonians in the pyramid gateroom gather around him, crying in sorrow, touching him, to say goodbye. Jack is excluded, watching from a distance, with a rather wistful look on his face.

Juxtapose to the end of part two, when all the rescued civiliains gather around Jack, Daniel, Sam and Teal'c in the SG1 gateroom, crying in happiness, touching (and kissing) them, to thank them for their rescue.

Lovely. Magical. Memorable!

* Stargate SG-1 became a must watch after the episode "Cold Lazarus." What a wonderful, poignant, terrific episode. "The Broca Divide," "The Nox," "Thor's Hammer," "The Torment of Tantalus," "Solitudes," "There But for the Grace of God," and "Within the Serpent's Grasp" were equally stellar. And the remaining of the season one episodes were fun to watch and very entertaining.

* What I love about the show...well, do you have several hours? The acting by the series regulars was always top notch. Watching Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge and Michael Shanks hone their craft over the years. Falling in love with Richard Dean Anderson all over again in another multi-layered character performance - from MacGyver to Jack O'Neill. The plots, always engaging and very often spectacular. Joel Goldsmith's beautiful music, the awesome special effects. I love the mix of humor and drama, and the fact the series is set in "real time." The mythology of Stargate so complex, devious at times, and fun! The extensive, involved story arcs. The costumes, make up, and sets. The amazing directors - especially Martin Wood, Peter DeLuise, Andy Mikita, Will Waring, Bill Gereghty, and Peter Woeste, who put their distinictive style to their episodes. That SG-1 was ALWAYS on the same NIGHT for ten years - different times perhaps, but the same night. (When you're an old fart, it's the small things you REALLY appreciate.)

Especially for the sense of "family" that the show promoted.

* The Stargate fandom, especially here at GateWorld, has been a joy to be a part of. There are so many thoughtful, kind, loving, funny, TALENTED, funny, caring, and devoted Gaters!

* Love the fact that the cast, staff and crew VOLUNTEER their time on Saturdays to record the commentaries for the DVDs. Thank you all so much for your time!

* My absolute favorite Stargate episode -- "Solitudes."

Perfection.

* Loved the live chats we had back in earlier seasons. Thanks again to everyone for participating. My favorite memory from the chats -- the "sniff" comments from Rick and Amanda!

Thank you Brad Wright, Jonathan Glassner and Robert C. Cooper for ten years of drama, humor, mystery, suspense, intrigue, mythology -- for wonderful, engaging, thrilling, lovely, and entertaining 215 episodes.

And thank you US Air Force for your support.

Best wishes to all -- and come Friday night -- Good Night, Gracie!

With love and respect, Morjana Coffman
    Last edited by morjana; 19 June 2007, 10:14 PM. Reason: can't spell...sigh

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

- the first time you discovered SG-1: The first time I discovered SG-1 was when it was on the SciFi Channel for the first time. I had seen the movie Stargate and I knew there was a series, but couldn't watch it. When it moved to the SciFi channel, I instantly started to watch it. I couldn't believe the special effects and the characters just made me want to watch more.
      - when it became a must-watch: I honestly thought from when I saw the very first episode, it was a must watch series for me.
      - what you love about the show: Everything. Knowing that the team met other cultures and people was what I really loved about the show. Especially when they were trying to find the lost city of Atlantis towards the end of season seven.
      - which characters made it your favorite show and why: 1. Jack O'Neill- his humor was above anything else. I was sad to see him go. 2. Sam Carter- Having that person portray a female in the millitary and spouting out all that technobabble is number one in my book.
      - one or two moments from a specific episode that are particularly memorable or poignant to you: When the SG-1 team first stepped into the gate. They didnt know what was waiting for them on the other side, but they knew it was going to be an adventure.

As a SciFi fan, my experience with watching Stargate SG-1 was really wonderful. Even though I could not watch some of the episodes when I was busy, I could always catch up on them with DVD and such. SG-1 will always live in my heart forever. I am also looking forward to seeing the new movies as soon as they come out.
      Scifinutalways1999

Comment

My special memories, pure entertainment, sense of wonder i felt when the team went through the gate for the first time and so wonderfully shown on Sam's face as she was about to go through.
        Watching four people come together as friends and waching them grow as the years go by.
        Jack's humor in the face of dire odds and Sam's technobabble and Amanda making it look believable to the viewer to the point that the viewer was learning something!
        Daniel and his excitment when he finds out the answer, all those words just keep tumberling out so fast!
        Teal'c a man of few words but one look say's so much.
        ......TARA......

Comment

Michael Shanks from SciFi Wire: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=42072

"One of the first things that Christopher and Amanda and I had done when we first showed up for the first season of the show was we walked up to where they were still building the SGC set," Shanks said in an interview. "We walked up to where the briefing room was going to be, and we looked down at this huge set and this huge prop Stargate, and we all just sat there stunned. It was like, 'Wow, this is real. They're building this for us. This is the beginning of something amazing.'"

Shanks, Judge and Tapping returned to that same spot after shooting the last scene of the finale, which also happened to be the very last SG-1 scene to go before the camera. "So we made a point, at the very end, after we'd wrapped, of running back upstairs to that briefing room and taking a final look," Shanks said. "It was bittersweet, but at the same time it was a nice way to bookend the emotional journey we'd been on for a decade."
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

- the first time you discovered SG-1: Well, when I really thought about the show, I was watching the scene in "Holiday" where Sam's getting everyone back into their respective bodies. I just said "That's a clever thing," meaning how it was like a puzzle.

- when it became a must-watch: "Ascension" was on (no, it didn't take me three years to actually get into the show, this was when they were playing seasons 2 and 5 on Wednesdays and Thursdays on SciFi, during the hiatus before the second half of season 8), and I realised I was really getting into it all, thinking about the characters and such. It suddenly occurred to me that I'd become a fan.

- what you love about the show: Daniel! Also the rest of the team. They are all awesome, even Jonas, Cameron, and Vala. As well, I love the incorporation of mythology and science. The stories are always interesting, even if every episode isn't the best. All the races and languages from the show are very cool (well, maybe not all are cool at all, but they're at least intriguing), and I'll leave it at that. It would take up too much space to list everything I love about SG-1!

- which characters made it your favorite show and why: Daniel, because he touched my heart like I assumed no character in a television show ever could. He has this incredible depth to his spirit, so much compassion and determination. I love that he never lets anyone tell him he's wrong when he knows he isn't. I love how fascinated he is with history. I love that he's more like me than anyone else I know. I love him!

- one or two moments from a specific episode that are particularly memorable or poignant to you: The scene in "Prisoners" when Daniel is talking about the prison on Botany Bay. I will make references to things in history which pertain to my current, or more recent situations, and I thought it was cool that he did the same thing. I didn't even know he was an archaeologist then, and when my sister told me, I was sold!

A more poignant scene to me is near the end of "Cold Lazarus", when the crystal alien took the form of Charlie to show Jack that so long as he keeps the memory of Charlie in his heart, he'll never really be gone. It's so beautiful and uplifting, but at the same time it makes me cry every time I watch it.

Comment

Wow, talk about getting the brain back in gear! =)

I remember the first time I saw SG-1 was when it premiered; I was only ten or so at the time, and dad called me downstairs because there was a new show coming on with "MacGyver" in it! We had seen the Stargate movie, and he made the connection, thought I would like it, and he was right! I was immediately hooked!

What I love about the show -- Daniel, Jack, Daniel and Jack, Jack and Daniel...*grin* Daniel has always been my favourite character; the scene where he's leaving Abydos with Jack and the others in CotG has always stuck out in my mind as one of those defining Daniel moments. haha, I just fell in love with the guy. As time went on, my favourite things about the show zeroed in on the relationships between SG-1 and the supporting cast, especially (like many others!) the friendship between Jack and Daniel. There's just no other duo out there like those two!

I could go on and on about episodes and moments that really touch my heart and are definite standouts--'Abyss' is always the first one that comes to mind. I was computer-less (gasp!) until 2004, so I had to find out about Daniel's return the old-fashioned way! I will always remember the excitement I felt, having thought my boy was gone for good, and the excitement that came from having the episode almost exclusively a Jack and Daniel fest--I was convinced TPTB had to have made it just for me! =P
              And then, of course, let's not even mention 'Fallen'!

My interest in the show was ramped up, if possible, when I discovered the online fandom. There are so many amazing people out there who share my love of the show and dedicate so much of their time to just being there--writing, chatting, and creating tons upon tons of wonderful fanart. This fandom has given me hours of delight just perusing what everyone has to offer.

You know, it's hard to pin down just a few memories of a show I've quite literally grown up with. I could go so far as to say SG-1 was what inspired me to study history in university--the movie, for sure, was the start of a lifelong (so far, anyway!) love affair with Egyptology. SG-1 isn't just another show, and it's hard to explain to anyone who doesn't watch it why the news was so devastating that it wasn't going to be renewed for season 11. SG-1 has it all--it's got the emotion, the humour, the action, the drama, the fact, fiction, mythology and the fun a show needs to make it; it's soldiered on through its highs and its rare lows, and the show as well as the magnificent cast and crew will always be in my heart.

There will never be a favourite show like SG-1. I am unbelievably glad there will at least be two movies to continue the adventure.

Thank you to the cast and crew, and the fandom of course, for years of fun and borderline unhealthy obsession! =P

Alanna
              Cape Breton

Comment

I think I was hooked on SG1 before it even aired. I remember the commercials advertising the show; I liked the movie and RDA so I was eagerly awaiting the beginning of the show. And I must say I was not disappointed. What I enjoyed about the show was the team feeling. It wasn’t a one person show but a four person show, with each character adding to the team, individually strong characters; but together an unstoppable group.

What set this show apart from others was that it took place in our time, they were stuck with what we had at the time and when they got in trouble off world they only had their wits and each other to rely on to get them out of trouble. There was drama every time they went through the gate and didn’t know what lay ahead of them. They didn’t have space ships with magic beam outs, the danger they were in felt real and there was excitement wondering if they would be able to get themselves out unscathed.

SG1 was more than a team they were also a family. In the episodes Jolinar’s Memories and The Devil You Know, when Sam’s father was captured, the SGC was behind her in getting Jacob back. Hammond reassured her they would get her father back and Jack agreed with him; this showed just how much everyone cared about each other and how they relied upon each other. This episode drove home that they were willing to go to hell and back for each other.

From watching SG1, the character of Sam Carter became my favourite; she was one of the first scifi female characters to be portrayed as a strong, beautiful and intelligent woman. She could handle herself among the boys club of the military, and earned the respect of others. She became more than just the geeky scientist who would just explain things, she had depth and although she tried to hide her feelings as the military had taught her we did see glimpses of them.

I think one of the most poignant episodes for Sam was Singularity. This young alien girl Cassie attached herself to Sam right from the beginning, causing Sam a bit of discomfort in not knowing what to do and being out of her element. The more she was around Cassie the more she became attached to the little girl. I think one of the most telling scenes was between Sam and Daniel, Sam was at the foot of Cassie’s bed visibly upset at what the Goa’uld had done to this little girl, telling Daniel “I know I am supposed to be detached...” Daniel asking her who said that, and Sam saying sometimes she forgets he’s not military. But the most heart wrenching scene was in the elevator, Sam had just left Cassie alone in the bunker and was heading back to the surface, Sam’s anguish at having to leave Cassie behind was quite powerful, played excellently by Amanda Tapping. Sam went back down to be with Cassie, defying orders because it was the right thing to do. She may have suspected that Cassie was going to be okay, but she couldn’t know for sure, her willingness to sacrifice her own life to give comfort to the child is what heros are made of, and sinched Sam’s place as my favourite character.

It was the drama of the show that kept me coming back and made this a must see show. It was Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal’c that made SG1 the team that kept viewers coming back and propelled the show to a record setting ten years. Although there have been changes along the way, we owe our thanks to Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks and Christopher Judge for bringing these wonderful characters into our living rooms week after week and year after year. And let’s not forget the crew behind the scenes, the writers and producers who also worked hard bringing us this wonderful show.

Mandysg1
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I'm a late comer to the show, my first episode of Stargate was Threads. My immediate thought upon seeing it was "Wow, I should have listened to my friend Jules and started watching this years ago." It immediately became a "must see" for me, or more accurately a "must catch-up".

The characters just grabbed me from that first episode, and though I was a little confused by Daniel in Oma's diner, I did figure out that he was some place...else. And I found myself wanted to know them all better.

I started watching Stargate Mondays, and the 6PM episodes and soon I went out and bough seasons 1-7 on DVD, and season 8 as soon as it came out.

I loved that SG1 was truly a team. I loved the sense of family they all had. You knew that they would die for one another, and not just because they had a military mindset but because they genuinely cared about one another. That caring and concern for one another was the thread that held the entire series together.

I loved that each on their own they were somewhat misfits. A burnt-out soldier who takes an assignment because he hopes it will kill him, and who is given the assignment by his superiors because they see him as expendable. A geeky archaeologist who isn't accepted by his peers because of his academic theories. A brilliant scientist who is also a female in the military, a male dominated world. And an alien who turns his back on hundreds of generations of belief in a false god. But together, together they were so much more than the sum of their parts. They were the team that freed a galaxy from domination, and saved their own world countless times. (Teal'c isn't here for me to ask. )

Out of all those misfits, Sam Carter is the one who stands out in my mind as my favorite character. She's both brilliant and strong, a truly wonderful role model. She's the brains behind some of their more striking successes, but at the same time is completely comfortable in the role of soldier. She's grown from being a young captain with something to prove to all the men in the 'boy's club' to a confidant, wise leader. As much as I liked the others, and the team itself, it's Sam Carter's character that had me rushing off to buy seven years of SG1 on DVD. (And also why I've since bought season 8, season 9, and have season 10 on pre-order.)

Comment

The first time i discovered SG-1 - I remember watching the show with my dad when i was 10 years old and it first aired on channel 4 in the uk. We didnt have sky at the time. it was not until i was 13 that i really understood it. I began to re-watch the first three seasons. Then we got sky and it was airing on sky one, and by that time i was really hooked!

The show became a must watch from day one. it was a really cool show with ancient eygptian gods, who turned out to be a bunch of alien 'snakes' in people's heads with humans from earth exploring the galaxy by the means of the device called the stargate.

What i love about the show for one, is the fact it is set in present day and we can relate to it now. It uses mythology and events that are real and it is not 'far fetched!' i also love the team interaction (and the team in general) and how they will do anything for each other. The show is not just sci-fi, it is comedy, action and drama too. I can not think of any other show i have loved more than stargate SG-1.

I like all of the characters but i must say that my favourite character had to be Col. Jack O.neill (with two L's lol). It was the way he lead the team and would sacrifice himself to save the other team members when they were in trouble. i also love the jokes he made and how he made even the worst situation funny. The jack/sam shipper moments were great too.

There are so many memorable moments. It's so hard to choose. One must be in the episode 'Upgrades', where O'neill refuses to leave carter. it just shows how much he cares about her. Another memorable moment is in the episode 'moebius' part 2 at the end, where the Team go to jacks cabin and sit by the pond. A fish jumps out and sam and jack just look at each other because jack had said there were no fish in the pond. It just shows how close the Team members are to each other. A memorable space scene (and the most shocking) is in the episode 'camelot'. The defeat of the allied forces just left me on the edge of tmy seat and at the end of that episode i just sat there quietly and looked at my dad. i couldn't believe it!
                    I really can't choose a favourite episode because every episode is truly great in it's own way.

Stargate SG-1 is a legacy in it's own right. It deserves the title of the best sci-fi show of all time (and on this planet!)

Thankyou to the cast, writers and producers of the show for 10 great years. I dont know what i will do without it!

Team SG-1 aka Lindsay
                    Last edited by Team SG-1*save the show*; 20 June 2007, 02:35 PM.
                    Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
                    sigpic
                    sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

- the first time you discovered SG-1

The first time I watched SG1, I was forced into watching Divide and Conquer by a friend...Admittedly I didn't think much of it, probably because it was an episode involving a lot of backstory. Next, my friend made me watch Window of Opportunity, and I absolutely loved it! I soon resolved to watch more of the show.

It became a must watch show after I pleaded with my friend (same one who introduced me to SG1) to let me watch 'Lost City' at her house...A few months later I'd coerced my parents into getting digital TV and I tuned in to New Order...the rest is history

The interaction between the various characters, the mythology, the feeling that people from here and now could go out there, make first contact and make a difference. That and Jack O'Neill is one of the funniest characters ever!

Jack O'Neill - to this day he's an enigma. We know so little about his past, and through him there have been so many funny moments interspersed with pathos which helped add a whole new level to the show.

To be honest, all the characters made the show for me...I loved the original SG1 dynamic, especially Teal'c view's of the Tauri - "What is an Oprah?"

- one or two moments from a specific episode that are particularly memorable or poignant to you

The whole of the Lost City to me is very memorable...it was only the fourth of fifth episode I'd ever seen, and I was just blown away by the detail of the story, the visual effects, the character moments...The whole episode is special to me.

The most poignant moments for me, involve Jack, especially in relation to his son. Cold Lazarus introduced the audience (or those who had not seen the movie) to Jack's past, where he was revealed to once be a very different man, one who'd hurt a great deal. Show and Tell showed us how much he cares for children, and how much he misses being a father. Window of Opportunity furthers this theme, and injects pang of reality into an otherwise humourous episode. And his look back at Sam, Janet and Cassie really brings it home how much he's missed out on since his son's death.
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

How I got started: My mom just sat down with me one night and said, "Hey, we're gonna watch a cool movie, it's called: Stargate. You're gonna love it." And so it was, I fell in love with the show right after.

When it became a much watch: I think... that "Fire and Water" was the first episode that really dragged me in, followed by "Torment of Tantalus."

Why I watch it: I have been and will always be fascinated by mythology and the ancient world, and the way the show ties in Sci-Fi elements with mythology was the hook, and the character's personalities and relationships with eachother was the icing on the cake, so to speak.

One or two moments from a specific episode that are particularly memorable or poignant to me: "Lost City pt. 2," when the F-302's come in with Promethus and save SG-1 and Bra'tac. That's definitely the most memorable.

Comment

the first time you discovered SG-1
                          As a MacGyver fan, I watched from the very first showing of COTG. I had never fancied the original film and so the story was totally new to me.

From the very beginning. The concept was so new and the cast were all so well matched and clearly worked well together, and the chemistry developed very quickly. I watched the original film after a few episodes to get the back-story.

The team spirit and the whole concept of modern day explorers travelling to other planets without the aid (until later years) of space ships. And when they did eventually get the ships, they were believable designs, and not totally alien.

I also like the interaction with the alien species. Dealing with the god-like goa'uld and the fatherly asgard with equal aplomb.

The original SG-1 team, (with a special liking for Jack). Each one of them has their own place in the team and they all carry out their specialties complementing the others' work at the same time. Jack shepherds them and looks after them, throwing in his own brand of thoughts that often takes them off in another direction that solves the problem.

The writers have their voices and characters and make the best of them.

- one or two moments from a specific episode that are particularly memorable or poignant to you.

MERIDIAN. Jack, Sam and Teal'c's farewell speeches. Amanda and Chris particularly put more than acting into those. Amanda's tears were real, not just in character. Very moving.
                          LOST CITY. In the same vein. Jack's gradual descent into Ancient, when he was concentrating on fixing the rings for the job of cutting through the ice, and Teal'c comes to talk to him. The simple gesture of placing his hand on Teal'c's face and the complete understanding that passed between the two warriors in that split second. Wonderful acting on both their parts.
                          ABYSS. When Jack is talking to Daniel in the cell, and Daniel yells at him "this is not your life we are talking about, Jack, THIS IS YOUR SOUL!"
                          BROCA DIVIDE. My all time favourite. The moment when Jack takes Janet's face in his hand and pleads with her "Use me!"

I introduced my family to Stargate. In turn, my kids introduced me to the fandom. I am now retired, familiar with the internet (which would never have happened without it), and have many world-wide friends through the message boards and have had the pleasure of meeting them at conventions. I have travelled to Canada several times, and had the priviledge of exploring the Stargate sets and sitting in the captain's chair of Prometheus. I have also met most of the cast and crew over the years of convention going, and am now helping to organise conventions myself. I think I can say that Stargate has had a significant part in the latter years of my life, and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity for travel and friendship it has afforded me.

Kay Jacobs (aka Mumsey)
                          For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

the first time you discovered SG-1- I was a late comer to the show. I was in a horrible car accident and had broken my thigh bone, my nose, and most of my face was burnt from the air bag. I was stuck at home in a cast and in pain for weeks. My friend had told me she watched SG-1 on occasion. So I decided to give the Monday line up a go. And man, I'm glad I did! SG-1 helped me forget what I was going through for a little while each day.

when it became a must-watch - it became a must watch for me right after that. I ordered all the boxsets for the previous seasons so I could catch up.

what you love about the show Everything. Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, General Hammond, Janet. I love them all.

which characters made it your favorite show and why - I really connected with the Sam Carter character. She's strong, smart and a great role model for girls and young women. Women can be smart and beautiful! But of course, I also love Jack O'Neill and his humor and how he looks out for his team.

one or two moments from a specific episode that are particularly memorable or poignant to you -

In Ascension when Orlin says to Sam, "That you’re a good person, that your heart is pure, that on the inside your spirit is as beautiful as you are on the outside." It's just such an incredible moment.

In the Line of Duty - such a pivotal episode for Sam when she is blended with Jolinar - a Tok'ra. A very emotional episode.

And of course, no one can forget the episodes Meridian where Daniel ascends and Heroes Part 2, where Janet dies. Both episodes had me in tears.

Thanks for 10 great years! It's been a fun ride!

~Susan
                            Last edited by Suzotchka; 21 June 2007, 05:10 AM.

Comment

the first time you discovered SG-1 and when it became a must-watch

The first time I discovered SG-1 was over a telephone conversation with my best friend. She happened to laugh over something. When I asked her what it was, she pointed me towards a six o'clock 'Gate episode, and especially Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neill. I was skeptical at first, not sure what this was all about. After a crash course from her, and a week's worth of watching, I tuned in regularly. It was the second half of season 7 when I started watching new episodes and within that time frame, I picked up all available DVDs and caught up on every story and character.

what you love about the show

I loved the fact that these people came to work and traveled to other planets and met other cultures. They were reliving history - they were able to meet humans of cultures that were long gone or not available on Earth. And then they were able to come home and live their normal lives. It made the characters believable. Here are these individuals, saving the galaxy one minute and buying groceries the next.

which characters made it your favorite show and why

Two Words - Jack O'Neill. Here is this guy, so devistated from the loss of his son that he's willing to go through the Stargate with the possibility of never coming home. His tactical skills are unmatched and he's willing to sacrifice himself to make certain that his team gets home or an innocent will not suffer at the hands of a Goa'uld.

Jack has always been there for his team, his friends. On paper, an archeologist would never be as good a friend to a hardened airman; a scientist wouldn't work as the second in command of a team; an alien become such a trusted ally. Jack saw the good parts of each member of his team. He keeps his emotions well hidden and yet is still able to mesh with the other members. There isn't anything he wouldn't do for them. And there isn't anything they wouldn't do for him.

one or two moments from a specific episode that are particularly memorable or poignant to you

One moment that stands out is from Cold Lazarus. Jack is able to say goodbye to Charlie and make peace with himself and his wife. Jack and Sara will always be connected through their son. It was such a powerful episode and I cry each time he takes "Charlie" through the 'Gate. We got to see a side of Jack that is kept hidden - what Jack O'Neill would have been like.

Another moment comes Meridian. Daniel wanted to ascend. He knew that it was a way for him to continue to help. And the only person he knew - he trusted to do what he wanted was Jack. Jack wasn't going to try and talk him out of ascending, wasn't going to convince him that staying on Earth was the right thing to do. He let him go. Also, the goodbye scene, to me, wasn't just Jack saying goodbye to Daniel, but Richard saying goodbye to Michael.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X