This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convention virgin

Okay, I've recently become a major Stargate fan within the last year or so, mostly due to the efforts of a friend of mine who's watched from Day One and is completely obsessed. Anyway, said friend and I are seriously considering going to a Stargate convention this summer. Neither of us has been to any kind of convention before. We would love to go to Gatecon, but ruled it out because we are both poor grad students and could not afford transportation to Vancouver, lodging, AND the price of the convention.

While looking through the list of conventions on this board (thanks so much for doing that, by the way) I came across one taking place in Chicago in August through Creation Entertainment. Chicago is much more doable because it's only a couple hours drive from where we live, so transportation cost would be minimal.

Since I've never been to a convention, what I want to know is, what's it like? Is it worth buying a weekend pass? Are conventions through Creation usually set up well? What are the chances that the guests they have lined up will actually be there? Basically, I just want to know what kind of value I would be getting for my dollar, so if anyone here has been to a similar convention before, please let me know what you thought and if you would recommend other people go. Thanks in advance.

-Kay Brooke

Hi Kay
    I am planning on going to the Chicago convention, but it will be my first con also! I decided to go for the whole weekend, just because I think this will probably be the only time I do it, I still can't believe they are coming to the Midwest! I asked a question similar to yours on another board and I got mixed responses.. Some loved them, some hated them.. especially those sponsored by Creation, a lot of people said that Creation events are overpriced compared to other sponsors.. but I decided to take my chances because this would still wind up a whole lot cheaper than flying from Missouri to Vancouver! So I am sorry I wasn't much help with your question, being that I am a convention virgin also! I started another thread to find out if anyone else on this board was going, but so far I have not had any responses! Well keep me posted if you decide to go! I met another poster from the other board that lives in Wisconsin and we are planning to meet up there and say hi! We would love to meet another! Also they just added to the Chicago convention a new feature for the gold weekend people only.. a happy hour on saturday with Michael Shanks and Don S. Davis!

Lexa
    Lexa

AWW Tartersauce! - Spongebob Squarepants

Comment

Working...
    X