This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locations

I'm not sure if this has been done bfeore, but I was curious if anyone knew what general areas are/were used for location filming in SG1/Atlantis.

I know that forests around the B.C. area are often used (leading the old joke that most planets look the same, mentioned in the show too?) but I've seen a few other interesting ones like the desert in Cold Lazarus (great ep) I'm not sure where these other locations are?

It's a shame that they aren't used more often as (I think) it really adds something to the show to have more varied locations. Of course I can understand that budget constraints can really limit the range of locations.
    The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

i always wonder where they film desert scenes in british columbia. anyway, when the ancients seeded our galaxy with life i guess they seeded plants and stuff to be similar most of the time.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
      i always wonder where they film desert scenes in british columbia. anyway, when the ancients seeded our galaxy with life i guess they seeded plants and stuff to be similar most of the time.
      Is there any desert in B.C? (Probably me being an idiot)
      I suspect that it may be in Mojave, as I think (i.e. probably wrong) that was where most of the movie Stargate was filmed.
      The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

ALL location shoots for both Stargate shows are done in and around Vancouver, BC. The "desert" is always the same stretch of sand, which I believe is one of the local beaches, and certainly isn't in the Mojave desert.

The whole reason that they (and plenty of other shows) film in Canada is that it's cheaper (due to the exchange rate and government subsidies) to film in Canada than in the US. The closest they've gotten to filming in the US is the shots of Cheyenne Mountain, and even that was just a small camera crew, no cast members or anything.
        Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Yeah, the "desert" was just the disappearing "Richmond Sand Dunes".

Comment

Maybe the Ancients really liked Canada, so they made each planet look like a different part of it?

Comment

Though I love Stargate, I do find it a kind of shame that many of the locations look the same eventhough they're supposed to be on alien planets. But yeah, with budget constraints, it is understandable.

Oh, well. Here's hoping there are some more varied locations in the movies.

Comment

Canada is great, looks very....homey.
                Xtremixt

All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the shadow and the breaking of the world. And him they named Dragon.

Comment

Isn't there an area that everything was painted red for like the X-files that has been used in SG-1? I think I remember that on a commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryk Celestis View Post
                    Oh, well. Here's hoping there are some more varied locations in the movies.
                    Does the arctic and a nuclear submarine count as "varied" in your book? I don't know how much (if any) location work was done for "The Ark of Truth", but "Continuum" should be pretty cool based on the locations alone!

Originally posted by xtremixt View Post
                    Canada is great, looks very....homey.
                    Not the word I would use to describe forests which I associate with Jaffa soldiers and Wraith attacks, but I agree that the countryside looks great. As soon as I'm rich (or just "less broke"), I'd love to visit Canada.
                    Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by the_dark_light View Post
                      Is there any desert in B.C? (Probably me being an idiot)
                      I suspect that it may be in Mojave, as I think (i.e. probably wrong) that was where most of the movie Stargate was filmed.
                      No, you're not an idiot because there is! Around a place called Osoyoos, about 4 hrs drive from Vancouver. It really is interesting to travel there and see the changing landscape from forested mountains to hills that have very few trees and just weird pink/sand coloured rocks and ground with scrub.

This sort of gives you the idea (I took it from the car while driving past), don't know why they never ventured out and filmed out there. It looked very other worldly to me....

Spoiler for size..

Spoiler:

But as PG15 has said, Stargate use the Richmond sand dunes as it's a bit closer to home!

As for 'homey' Xtremixt, it is. I came here on holiday from the UK four years ago. Fell in love with the place and moved here just under two years ago. I love living here and I can never seem to stop talking about the locations as it's an excuse to share my love of BC with everyone!

LOL! I have thought like Calhoun,wondering when Jaffa or Wraith would jump out on me when I've gone for walks in the forests around here!

Dark Light, wander over to the 2008 Vancouver Con thread, there has been some discussion about locations there. There is also a thread in the Fandom section called SG1/SGA locations.

Comment

they have used

the sulpher piles that are along a river in vancouver. you can see them from stanley park

stanley part is the random forests - including hte great conifer rain forest in Evolution i believe

st elizabeth, i think, gardens was used in Gamekeeper...the gardens itself and the dome

horizons at burnaby was o'malleys, the indian totems outside the restaurant can be seen in upgrades

simon frasier university is tollana

bane and 2010 were shot near the science thing in vancouver - it's been a few years, my memory is a bit fuzzy of the names of hte locations

the art museum was NID headquarters and the old bailiff cafe is close too

steveston, a subburb was steveson oregon, complete with the restaurant that sam, jonas and teal'c ate at

and yes, the sand dunes were any sandy planet that they needed it to be

check out www.rdanderson.com for more locations, with pictures i believe. just navigate to the stargate part of the site, then locations, kate even has photos of the places
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

bane and 2010 were shot near the science thing in vancouver - it's been a few years, my memory is a bit fuzzy of the names of hte locations
                          That'll be Science World.

Comment

there are names and directions in this thread
                            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=44206

for those that might be making a 'pilgrammage'
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Yeah, the "desert" was just the disappearing "Richmond Sand Dunes".
                              Yeah but it still looked great on screen
                              Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
                              They had to fake the ratings
                              They had to fake the ratings.
                              Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

Working...
                              X