This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spin-off’s

Does anyone agree that this forum generally proves that producers of a TV series should not develop a spin-off until the parent series has ended?

All you get is a divided fan base and constant argument concerning the best series. As opinions become more polarised the viewing figures start going down leading to eventual oblivion.

Not helped by dividing the writers between to shows and potentially diluting the quality of the stories.

I'd say only your last argument has merit, since fans will complain about that other stuff one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by oldman44 View Post
      Does anyone agree that this forum generally proves that producers of a TV series should not develop a spin-off until the parent series has ended?

All you get is a divided fan base and constant argument concerning the best series. As opinions become more polarised the viewing figures start going down leading to eventual oblivion.

Not helped by dividing the writers between to shows and potentially diluting the quality of the stories.
      * There aren't enough online fans to impact the viewing figures.

* If polarized opinions led to oblivion, humanity in general would have been a black hole long before someone thought of a show called Stargate.

* It doesn't take a spin-off to divide an online fanbase. Season five SG1 comes to mind.

EC

Comment

Fanwars are of all times, all sizes and of a whole variety of subjects no matter which fandom or franchise.

But I generally agree that one has to outline their spin-off toroughly instead of going half-ass off to produce something one hasn't a clue off how it will proceed, especially when one's attentions is divided by different shows.
        And multitasking isn't always done well.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          I'd say only your last argument has merit, since fans will complain about that other stuff one way or another.
          Yes but if the parent show has ended they have not got any new (SG-1) to watch they may watch (Atlantis) with more of an open mind.

Comment

Openmindedness is not a instrinsic quality of fandom, I can tell you that.

Comment

In order for people to argue about which series is better, they'd have to watch both series. The network wants this, so argue on the internet til your heart's content.

Comment

Unfortunatly it doesnt matter one way or another when a spinoff is done. Fandom wars will happen regardless.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Agreed there..

and regard to the original post, don't be silly, Atlantis needed that few years to get a crossover and foundation of introducing new ideas, it kept it going
                  The Advertisements MGM never wants you to see!!

Comment

I think even if you waited until the parent show had ended you'd still get the comparisons back to the other show. It is after all a spin off and bound to be compared to the parent from which it came. Instead of the lines that exist now if they'd waited, IMO, there would just be a different set of lines that divided the fandom.

The only benefit would in the focus on one production instead of multi-tasking between two, as others have already said.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                    "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

well i stop watching sg-1 after season 6 or 7 so for me it was already dead when sga come, and honestly i think its better then original series

Thats true, sga is new series which have its own story, they should have their own writers

Comment

Originally posted by Lonao View Post
                        well i stop watching sg-1 after season 6 or 7 so for me it was already dead when sga come, and honestly i think its better then original series

Thats true, sga is new series which have its own story, they should have their own writers
                        Really Sg-1 gets better with age IMO. SGA is it's own show and they do have their own writers but personally if the third series does get green lit I hope they do have the same writers and producers as SGA or atleast some of them. IMO they have proven how good they are.

Comment

Yea i agree, i think atlantis will really get going now, that sg1 is over sadly

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                            Yea i agree, i think atlantis will really get going now, that sg1 is over sadly
                            I agree. SGA has been good but with the focus on one show it should be even better.

Comment

Working...
                            X