This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind Energy Discussion

All over globe there are energy problems and people talking about global warming. In US many areas have large wind energy farms that are great (I believe the largest wind energy farm in the world is in Texas ) . I'm thinking, there we go, solution to our energy problems (somewhat). What do you guys think, are there negatives to wind energy? The only one I can think of is killing birds...but whats more important saving Earth (somewhat) or birds. And maybe disrupting forms of communication .

-monkey_man132

think of how much energy could be produced and stored just during a big hurricane
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

yea lol maybe like.. a lot! but maybe the turbines and wind mills can get damages with enough wind.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132
        but maybe the turbines and wind mills can get damages with enough wind.
        well turbines & windmills may get damaged by the wind, but I doubt they'd sue anyone over it :|

Comment

They're great, I don't know why people moan about what they look like, they look more aesthetically pleasing than most man made structures imo.

Comment

they take up lots of space compared to the power they generate, there are actually very few places where they could usefully built wind power isnt really that practical

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150
              they take up lots of space compared to the power they generate, there are anctually very few places where they could usefully built wind power isnt really that practical
              Indeed. Wind farms are overrated. Give me a good old fashioned nuclear power station any day.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
                Indeed. Wind farms are overrated. Give me a good old fashioned nuclear power station any day.
                exactly.NPP are the best way how to get an energy.
                Stolen Kosovo
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                  exactly.NPP are the best way how to get an energy.
                  I'm no environmental scientist, that was always my mothers forte, I'm much more of a political scientist, but we must consider that fossil fuels are on the way out and (unclean) we have to find an acceptable alternative. Unfortunately both have their problems.

From what I know, the trouble with wind farms is the amount of energy they generate for the amount of actual farms are needed. Nevertheless. Wind Farms ARE clean and cheap energy (in the long run, they're quite expensive to set up). There's also the issue with aesthetics. I think they look nice, but many think they look ugly. Thus, offshore wind farms are the way to go, which can ALSO be coupled with the wave farms (or whatever they are called).

Nuclear power, again as far as I;m aware, has two issues. Nuclear Waste, and the danger factor. Granted, the danger is less than people initially believe, but it's still there. As for the waste. I think that's a huge problem. WHat do we do with it? Send it into space? The launch fails and we dump radioactive waste on innocent people. Bury it? Hmm, that's good for the earth...

I can't see NPPs going. But instead of putting all out efforts into those, I think we need a joint energy program.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

I can't see NPPs going. But instead of putting all out efforts into those, I think we need a joint energy program.
                    yes, NPPs aren't perfect but we have nothing better right now. Perhaps in the future we will able to create a cold fusion or something much better (anti-matter , zero point energy , who knows)
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                      yes, NPPs aren't perfect but we have nothing better right now. Perhaps in the future we will able to create a cold fusion or something much better (anti-matter , zero point energy , who knows)
                      Cold Fusion would be legendary. But I'm not sure how possible it is.

Would you concur that a mix of sources of energy, meaning we need LESS (but not zero) NPPs is a good thing?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'm all for wind turbines

I'm completely anti-nuclear (living in an area near a nuclear base that also has one of the highest cancer rates in Britain)

But I wish more people would think of wave and tidal energy
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post

I'm completely anti-nuclear (living in an area near a nuclear base that also has one of the highest cancer rates in Britain)

Tidal Energy! That's the term I was looking for.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post

brilliant idea, so we'll destroy every nuclear plant around the world a build wind turbines as many as we can.

You can visit Austria and join groups of other anti-nuclear nuts in their effort to stop our nuclear power plant.

and by the way, coal power plants are worse than NPPs. Are you against them too?
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

I think the key issue that SueKay is raising is the cancer it can cause. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, coal plants don't do...

No one would reccomend destroying all the nuclear plants all at once and replacing them with wind turbines, it's not financially viable.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X